Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Audi Q5 TDI: Family Review Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 Audi Q5 TDI: Family Review Checklist

Original Post

In all aspects of my daily driving needs, the 2014 Audi Q5 TDI worked for me and my family of four. The compact crossover indulged the race-car driver in me, as well as my practical kid-chauffeur. While it's more sporty than posh, I felt spoiled during my weeklong test drive.
But wait, doesn't TDI mean it's some sort of diesel contraption? Yes, it's a diesel, and it packs a punch in the get-up-and-go department. The 240-horsepower, turbo-diesel 3.0-liter V-6 makes 428 pounds-feet of torque. It's a beast and I couldn't help but lead foot it everywhere I went. Despite my spirited driving, I managed to average 27.4 mpg during my weeklong test drive; that's right on track with the EPA's 24/31/27 mpg city/highway/combined.

The clean-diesel engine wasn't loud, but I still turned it off in the drive-through; I didn't find the engine noisy from inside the Q5, either. The Q5 handles like a dream. There was hardly any body roll; the braking was spot on, and steering was solid.

What I liked most was the Q5 was large enough to pull family duty, but it wasn't too big to easily navigate parking lots. My son could throw his hockey bag in the cargo area without working the space like a puzzle. The Q5 TDI has 29.1 cubic feet of space behind the backseat, which bests its competitors, the 2014 BMW X5 (22.9) and 2014 Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class (23.3). The Q5 has a 40/20/40-split folding backseat; I folded down the smaller middle section to accommodate my son's hockey stick and daughter's lacrosse stick. What I liked best was the cargo area's under-floor storage that was deep enough to hold muddy boots and not just slimmer items.

My 9-year-old daughter and 11-year-old son both found the Q5's backseat to be comfortable with plenty of legroom for their ever-growing legs. The Q5 has 37.4 inches of rear legroom, which again beats its competition: The rear legroom in the X5 is 36.6 inches and 35.1 inches in the GLK-Class. For parents of younger kids, the Q5 has two sets of exceptional lower Latch anchors. They sit out in the open and are easy to use — just remove the hard plastic cover. Both forward- and rear-facing child-safety seats fit easily into the Q5.

Climbing in was easy for my older kids, but younger ones will need a boost from parents. The good news is the roofline is high, so you won't hit your head when helping the kids into the backseat.
The Q5 handled a reasonable amount of personal items, including lots of water bottles in the door pockets. The cupholders are on the small side, so your Big Gulp shouldn't remain unattended in one. The glove box in my test car was air conditioned, and it had a netted pocket next to the USB input to hold my device in place.

The 2014 Q5 may not be great for a large family, but for mine and our needs, it was a wonderful option.

Last edited by TIME89; 12-07-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered new 2014 Q5 TDI

I ordered a 2014 Q5 TDI last week with color and options I wanted here is Southern California. Came close to finding one at a dealer but they are in short supply unless you want Black on Black. (Dec 2013). I ordered the Premium Plus package that includes the Audi MMI Navigation with voice control, backup assist, the Bang and Olufsen Sound System, and Audi Side Assist, and Tow Hitch.

Other options available, but not ordered, include the Prestige Package with driver assist, perforated premium leather seats, adaptive lighting, and thermo cup holders. Additional options available is a Sport Interior, S-Line plus package, rear entertainment package, 20" wheels with summer tires, and rear side airbags.

The now available 3.0 TDI diesel engine with 8 speed quattro tiptronic transmission sealed the deal for me. This is one sweet power train. Great mileage and killer torque. Really fun to drive. Luxury, good SUV storage, well executed dash with the MMI Navigation plus.

The 2014 Q5 TDI as ordered for my family hits all the buttons for us. Great mileage, SUV storage capacity, great ride and handling, luxury finish. Can't wait for delivery in late February or early March.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just picked my TDI up on Saturday. The last 30 days of the 90 day wait are the worst but it was definitely worth it. The car is incredible and it will probably take me a month or two to fully learn and take advantage of its features and capabilities. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for sharing - love my TDI!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stanrich
I ordered a 2014 Q5 TDI last week with color and options I wanted here is Southern California. Came close to finding one at a dealer but they are in short supply unless you want Black on Black. (Dec 2013). I ordered the Premium Plus package that includes the Audi MMI Navigation with voice control, backup assist, the Bang and Olufsen Sound System, and Audi Side Assist, and Tow Hitch.
premium plus doesn't include nav or any of that stuff.

Other options available, but not ordered, include the Prestige Package with driver assist, perforated premium leather seats, adaptive lighting, and thermo cup holders. Additional options available is a Sport Interior, S-Line plus package, rear entertainment package, 20" wheels with summer tires, and rear side airbags.

The now available 3.0 TDI diesel engine with 8 speed quattro tiptronic transmission sealed the deal for me. This is one sweet power train. Great mileage and killer torque. Really fun to drive. Luxury, good SUV storage, well executed dash with the MMI Navigation plus.

The 2014 Q5 TDI as ordered for my family hits all the buttons for us. Great mileage, SUV storage capacity, great ride and handling, luxury finish. Can't wait for delivery in late February or early March.
hey, premium plus doesn't Include nav or B&O etc. Those are all extra options. Based on the way I read it
Old 12-16-2013, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by djgainsbond
hey, premium plus doesn't Include nav or B&O etc. Those are all extra options. Based on the way I read it
You are correct. The Premium Package does not include navigation or the premium sound unless ordered as additional options. I ordered these as options along with the side assist and tow hitch options. It's a long wait to February for my Q5 but worth it.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To the OP

Great write up and review! Full of useful info and quality pics, you must do this for a living.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congrats on the TDI!