Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 SQ5 Sunroof rattle...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Sorry to be a buzzkill but on mine the rattle came back after the frame was replaced. Maybe you will be lucky and it will stay gone. Key for me was to correctly lube the seals.
Ive used enzeitte gummi pfledge on all the seals. Previously worked for a while but no longer working. Dealer said its pretty straight forward to replace frame as they have done many. But then again dealer wouldnt admit it was a difficult job.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

My 2014 Q5 was serviced today for the squeak / rattle of sunroof. Like many others, no problem during summer. But when it gets cool it makes noise, and when you cycle roof it goes away for a while. They did the felt fix. We will see...
Old 11-13-2016, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ssteigss
Brought mine in and dealer did tsb applying felt. Didnt work. Its much worse when cool and raining for some reason. Was hesitant to have them take apart interior but noise is too annoying. Going back to replace frame next week. Ill keep everyone posted.
Had sunroof frame replaced 2 days ago. So far so good. Notice a lot of grease on the roof seals and felt in places. Only collateral damage is one trim piece by front seatbelt that's slightly off line. Dealer returned car with grease all over interior. Forgot to do interior cleaning. To be fair the whole dealership was literally moving to a new building when I picked it up. Service manager quickly remedied and all was well. Ill update if anything comes up.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ssteigss
Had sunroof frame replaced 2 days ago. So far so good. Notice a lot of grease on the roof seals and felt in places. Only collateral damage is one trim piece by front seatbelt that's slightly off line. Dealer returned car with grease all over interior. Forgot to do interior cleaning. To be fair the whole dealership was literally moving to a new building when I picked it up. Service manager quickly remedied and all was well. Ill update if anything comes up.
thanks for the update
thats my fear of the frame being replaced, that random stuff that they took apart, will never be the same

keep us updated

mines slowly driving me crazier and crazier
Old 11-13-2016, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife SQ5 (the one I began this thread about) is perfect after the frame replacement.
No rattles and nothing broken!
Bruce
Old 11-13-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

My new (to me) 2012 Q5 has a rattle towards the rear. I was assuming the liftgate isn't as snug as it should be. Is there a chance that it might be the sunroof? It doesn't sound that high, but then it's tough to say from the driver's seat. It's not like it makes a noise constantly, and even some bumps don't seem to trigger it. Any thoughts?
Old 11-14-2016, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by atc98092
My new (to me) 2012 Q5 has a rattle towards the rear. I was assuming the liftgate isn't as snug as it should be. Is there a chance that it might be the sunroof? It doesn't sound that high, but then it's tough to say from the driver's seat. It's not like it makes a noise constantly, and even some bumps don't seem to trigger it. Any thoughts?
The easy way to test for sunroof noise is to open the sunroof as you drive. If the noise goes away when the roof is open then...
You know it is the roof!
Bruce
Old 11-14-2016, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try Belt Dressing

I had the same sunroof squeak that started last year. Quiet in the summer, worse as it gets colder. Goes away for a bit after sunroof open and close. I sprayed the seal with belt dressing, worked it around with my fingers and viola, squeak was gone. Of course the question is how long does it last. For now, still no squeak this fall (yet) with lows in the 40s. Gonna spray it again soon as pseudo preventive maintenance. Fairly cheap to buy. If it works for anyone else, please post. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just got my Q5 from the dealer, and now I'm sunroof rattle free.
It's been with the dealer for 4 weeks, and they replaced only hardware, such as bolts, clips, weather strips, and so on.
However, they did remove and install the glass, frame, and entire assembly 3 times before they put the interior trim panels back on. They test drove the vehicle without the sunroof assembly to find the source one part by one.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nate704
I just got my Q5 from the dealer, and now I'm sunroof rattle free.
It's been with the dealer for 4 weeks, and they replaced only hardware, such as bolts, clips, weather strips, and so on.
However, they did remove and install the glass, frame, and entire assembly 3 times before they put the interior trim panels back on. They test drove the vehicle without the sunroof assembly to find the source one part by one.
4weeks , wow
in your case, which part was the culprit?

Quick Reply: 2016 SQ5 Sunroof rattle...