Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 SQ5 Sunroof rattle...

Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sunroofs yuck, pano-sunroofs double yuck, hopefully 2018 and future Q5's will make sunroofs an option at all trim levels as many other cars do. They are a poor ROI in my opinion.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed!

Jason
NYC area
Old 02-21-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I have a 2014 Q5 TDI. Last winter the sunroof rattle / creaking came. An open / closing cycle would quiet the rattle / creaks briefly and come back. Dealer service department cleaned the track and lubricated the mechanism. Needless to say that it didn't resolve the problem. The rattle / creak went away during the warm weather.

Cooler weather came back and so did the rattle / creaks this past October. I reported the problem to service department and they did a repair of applying felt to the edges of the sunroof. At first it seemed fixed but as it got colder, the rattles / creaks got worse.

I brought in on Friday for 45K service, along for sunroof airbag recall and again complained about sunroof rattles / creaks. Service department called latter in day saying they would like to keep car because Audi approved a replacement of the sunroof frame. I had a loaner Q5 so that was ok with me. I couldn't believe they had the frame in stock. I guess they are replacing a lot of them. Hope this finally resolves the issue.
OK. Just back from the dealer with my Q5 and a new sunroof frame. The service advisor told me I'll never have a problem again. I asked if the new frame was a newer version, he said no, same part number. Ride home was uneventful, so I hope the new frame holds up.

P.S. I have a beige interior. Dirty finger prints on the headliner, and I never noticed my seats, rugs, and floor trims so dirty. Sad. I asked them to clean the headliner and went home. I figured I partially made the seats and floors dirty so I spent an hour and half cleaning them.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

We've experienced a rainy winter here in northern ca and I've started to hear the sunroof rattle. I'll be bringing the car in for the recall and will see if they can try to solve the sunroof rattle. I'm thinking it is related to the weather as @dennismitchell mentionedz

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I have a 2014 Q5 TDI. Last winter the sunroof rattle / creaking came. An open / closing cycle would quiet the rattle / creaks briefly and come back. Dealer service department cleaned the track and lubricated the mechanism. Needless to say that it didn't resolve the problem. The rattle / creak went away during the warm weather.

Cooler weather came back and so did the rattle / creaks this past October. I reported the problem to service department and they did a repair of applying felt to the edges of the sunroof. At first it seemed fixed but as it got colder, the rattles / creaks got worse.

I brought in on Friday for 45K service, along for sunroof airbag recall and again complained about sunroof rattles / creaks. Service department called latter in day saying they would like to keep car because Audi approved a replacement of the sunroof frame. I had a loaner Q5 so that was ok with me. I couldn't believe they had the frame in stock. I guess they are replacing a lot of them. Hope this finally resolves the issue.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out my photos. Buy the grease, apply the grease to the rubber foot of the sunroof on both left and right. Problem fixed. At least it worked 100% for me. The problem is that the rubber feet of the sunroof becomes dry. It grips onto the wind deflector and it causes the side to side movement and the deflector is hitting against something. The grease solved it for me.

The following users liked this post:
jeremer2 (09-01-2020)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2013 Audi Q5 3.0T here...bought it from and service at Audi Meadowlands in NJ. I've been in to the dealer over 7 times now for the creaking, knocking, stick/slipping panoramic roof while in the closed position.

Each time they claim to have greased it, remove and reinstall the glass with felt in contact points, adjusted the rear glass pane, and each time write that it was test driven and noise gone...however each time i pick it up the noise is there and unchanged.

Finally this last time I escalated my case with Audi corporate, and scheduled appointment with the same dealer. It took them a day to call me back after drop-off and tell me it's fixed and ready for pickcup. They claim to have removed the roof-liner as directed by their Audi Field Rep, and then found the frame screws loose and even fallen out. They claim these frame screws were torqued to 8 N-m (which is absolutely nothing). I asked why they didn't just replace the frame if the roofliner was apart, and they just state the screws were the problem. Convinced nothing will fix the problem aside from replacement of the roof, I sense the dealer is bs'ing me every time and making warranty claims without doing the work.
I pickup my Q5 today, and test drive with the shop foreman - noise is still there! Service guy tells me that's all they can do since they followed their field rep's direction to diagnose with the roof-liner down....but dealer is incompetent apparently in diagnosing the frame as the root problem...
Drove home so angry, and I noticed the interior pillar pieces aren't properly clipped in on the bottom, and my steering wheel bottom is gouged...actually noticed similar gouging the last time too.
I called Audi corporate, and they are just telling me to go to another Audi dealer for 2nd opinion.
Off to another dealer I guess.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:14 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by bokchilo
Check out my photos. Buy the grease, apply the grease to the rubber foot of the sunroof on both left and right. Problem fixed. At least it worked 100% for me. The problem is that the rubber feet of the sunroof becomes dry. It grips onto the wind deflector and it causes the side to side movement and the deflector is hitting against something. The grease solved it for me.
Yep, that's the stuff I used on mine from post#3. (Not cheap.) This was after they replaced the frame and it still squeaked. I used in on the rubber seals. Worked well for me. The frame just shifts around up their in the giant opening unfortunately and poorly lubed or unlubed it squeaks..
Old 03-27-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I uploaded my video of the panoramic sunroof creaking:

I am feeling like a lawsuit may be necessary. Looking back to when I purchased the car April last year, the salesman tilted the roof up for show and tell....makes total sense!
Old 03-27-2017, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Was just browsing to see how much a sunroof frame costs, and found there is an updated part number:

https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/D...R0877049A.html

Looks like part no. 8R0877049A is replaced by 8R0877049B. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After dealing with sunroof rattles on my SQ5 and various attempts at repairs for 4 years... I finally found a dealer (beverly hills audi) and a service rep (Harry Cha) who have dealt with the issue multiple times and had success with the sunroof frame replacement. Harry was very helpful and sympathetic. They replaced mine last week during the sunroof recall work. So far no rattles!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 SQ5 Sunroof rattle...