Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

8 speed transmission opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what its worth my 2015 Q5 and 2016 SQ5 have had the best shifting automatics I have driven in recent years. My reference points are the recent loaners of BMW 3 series and X5's as well as ownership of 3 Mecedes with the 7 speed auto and a few BMW 6 speed automatics. I did drive a Q5 2.0 as a loaner and found that it seemed to shift a lot more often than TDI or SQ5. The shft quality of the 2.0 seemed fine in limited driving.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

You do realize that your transmission and engine adapts to the way you drive. It selects various programs for your transmission shift points and timing.

Today in NE Pennsylvania it was 40 degree F, my 2014, 2.0T, was started and I immediately drove to the main highway 150 feet away and took off at 35-45 mph. The trans shifted smoothly through all gears without any stumbling, or hesitation.

It shifted as a well designed engine/trans combination should.

I only drive in "sport" mode all the time I never use "D" mode as that is a dog, with too quick of shifts and most of what you describe.
I also drive more aggressively, hardly none of that light throttle stuff. I find that when I do city light throttle driving the engine response back on the open highway is not the same as before I did a lot of city driving. I then just take the Q5 out for a full throttle blast letting it go through the gears at red line, and it gets me back to my more happy program.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
You do realize that your transmission and engine adapts to the way you drive. It selects various programs for your transmission shift points and timing.
Bob, thanks for the post. I am wondering if it adapts and stores the current program in general or it does it for each driver/key. And also, whether it resets every day or after extended hours of not driving.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

As a point of comparison, I'll say that I never had an automatic on a Ford or GM or Chrysler product, ranging from the two speed "slushpumps" to the three speeds on the 440's and other engines, fumfer around or jerk the way that the Q5 sometimes does.

So Audi still has to catch up with fifty year old American transmission technology. Shifting smoothly, after you're warmed up, at street speeds? Heck, the old SuperBeetles did that too.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
As a point of comparison, I'll say that I never had an automatic on a Ford or GM or Chrysler product, ranging from the two speed "slushpumps" to the three speeds on the 440's and other engines, fumfer around or jerk the way that the Q5 sometimes does.

So Audi still has to catch up with fifty year old American transmission technology. Shifting smoothly, after you're warmed up, at street speeds? Heck, the old SuperBeetles did that too.
We both own 2014, 2.0T Q5s and there must be something with your vehicle. Did the dealer ever perform the trans coding update on your Q5?

The day that they did mine the trans and engine performed horribly until I got home and reset trans and engine back to basic settings using VCDS. I then went for a few of my full throttle blasts at red line and it has been a smooth pleasurable shifting trans since then.

I respect that even if a Q5 is identical to another one they just run differently. With my 2014 Honda CRV compared to my sister's 2014 Honda CRV, same models, they are like night and day for ride, handling, steering, engine performance, and braking. Same exact tires on both. Differences, mine was built in Canada, hers in the US. I have almost zero brake dust after a month of driving, hers wheels turn black in a few days. Most likely Canada and the US use parts sourced from different suppliers.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I was unaware there is a transmission coding update but will certainly bring it up when I bring the car in this fall.

You're saying that your car was updated, and the update made things worse, so you removed it and got the car running better without it?

What was the point of the update supposed to be?

"Most likely Canada and the US use parts sourced from different suppliers. " For sure. In the same way that a Q5 built in Germany for the US market is a truck, while a Q5 built for their domestic market is a CAR, which means a different set of suspension and different ESC programming, among other things. But...the customer is never told these things, are they?

Heck, even in the US, how long has there been "California-versus-49 state" regulation? Costco won't even use lead wheel weights, because they're illegal in CA and they want one uniform product in all stores.

Barrett-Jackson.(G)
Old 10-23-2016, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TishoTM
Bob, thanks for the post. I am wondering if it adapts and stores the current program in general or it does it for each driver/key. And also, whether it resets every day or after extended hours of not driving.
Sorry I don't know that answer. I don't have the multiple driver memory seats option. I'm the sole driver.

Again I'll state that I only drive in "sport" mode. In "D" mode the trans has a mind of its own to try and shift to the highest gear as fast a possible, producing sluggish response, jerks, hesitations, a little shaky engine at idle (sport mode raises the rpms slightly at idle eliminating the shake). I also have almost non-existent turbo lag, others on this forum complain about it, I have had others drive my Q5 very hard, and they said that they don't feel any lag at all.

If my Q5 only had "D" mode I most likely would have got rid of it in the first month of ownership, I hate "D" that much!

It's just not the 2.0T that people complain about transmission performance, just search this forum and the web for the 3.0T and SQ5 trans complaints.

All my vehicles for my entire life since the 1960's had manual transmissions until the Q5 (other family vehicles had auto trans). I miss the manual, Europe sells manual trans Q5's, I was very sad I couldn't get one!
Old 10-23-2016, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"a little shaky engine at idle (sport mode raises the rpms slightly at idle eliminating the shake)"
As Herr Schultz used to say, Verrrryyy Interesting.
I noticed a little trembling at idle just two weeks ago, and that's also on the list for the next service. I'll have to try "S" mode to see if that raises the idle and solves it, since I was thinking it felt like borderline "too low" idle behavior.

But you really want the car (excuse please, TRUCK) with the "B" option. Which of course can only be added after you have all the other electronics options added. When the transmission is put in "B" mode, it engages offensive driver mode and the adaptive cruise control overtakes all other vehicles in range. In Germany, this is somewhat more candidly referred to as Blitzkrieg Mode.(G)
Old 10-23-2016, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Audi does update of the software of the transmission, the car at first is very rough. I have read somewhere (might be even here) that the transmission starts self-learning based on the driving, though, I have no idea for how long or if until it meets some criteria.
Just to note that the transmission in general is very smooth and adapts quickly to the style of driving (when in "D"). It holds higher rpm longer when I drive more dynamic and settles down fast when I hit traffic. I have also noticed that in "stop and go" traffic, it holds longer 1st gear to avoid shifting up and down all the time.
And, yes, there is the moment, when braking at around 35-40mph it shifts down to 2nd or 3rd too quickly, which causes jerkiness a little, but it feels only if you are braking in slight to moderate pace.

Also, after having driven the car yesterday, today in the morning it did not lunged forward from 1st to 2nd, which makes me thinking that maybe it really resets every time when different key is used.

Despite everything I love my car, but I would still say that the Jeep's shifting that I mentioned above in the posts is smoother than the Audi's.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always had cars with stick shift before the Q5. I find the 8 speed trans fine on the 2.0t with D or S mode but i mostly drive in M (semi manual mode) as this makes the Q a little more exciting to drive...am I the only one?

Quick Reply: 8 speed transmission opinion