Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

8speed triptronic question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8speed triptronic question

I have read on here how the triptronic transmission adjusts how it sets shift patterns itself by the way it is driven. So how does it do that? what difference does it make if you are aggressive or not. Does the initial driving pattern from new set the stage for all future behaviour. I need a little tutorial!! Thanks
Old 12-08-2016, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I don't think this is documented well anywhere. But in simple terms, there are some long term adaptions that are being stored. Basically the ECU/TCU monitor how you normally drive and adjust the shift points etc. accordingly. It's supposed to relearn over time, so if you change your driving habits the transmission should eventually adapt, but there is also a procedure you can use to reset the adaption. I don't recall the sequence for it and if you need vagcom to do it, though. There is also short term adaption. Besides monitoring your normal driving style, the ECU/TCU also monitor your current driving style, so if you all the sudden drive aggressively, the transmission will adapt to that short term and once you ease off it will go back to normal driving. You don't really wanna race the car from the beginning, unless you want the transmission to learn that your normal driving style is driving like you stole it. Just drive normally and it will adapt to your normal driving style.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Superswiss, that makes sense.