Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

About to place order on TDI, should I get B&O? Here are my plans...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default About to place order on TDI, should I get B&O? Here are my plans...

2014 Q5 TDI
Glacier White Metallic / Black Interior
Sport Interior Pkg
S Line Plus Pkg
MMI Navigation plus
Tow Hitch

I figure I'll get a trunk mat separately, perhaps at a better price. I see ECS has the OEM one for about the same price as bought with car, and another version for only $50 (however the non-slip stuff looks like it would be a pain to clean, kind of defeating the purpose of the mat in the first place).

I'm tempted by the B&O, but honestly have not listened to either unit. I just assumed I would get the stock system so I haven't paid attention. Now I am starting to think about getting the upgrade. Should I consider it? I used to be a big audiophile but then went cold turkey to stock stereo in my '02 S4 and ever since. I typically just leave the same Top40 station on the radio or maybe 1 CD in the player. I have iPods but rarely use them... Anyway, what are others' experiences?

I also don't like the dark titanium S Line 20" wheels, so I'll have to trade or buy aftermarket after delivery. Hartmann HRS4-252-GS 20" would be my choice of their wheels, or maybe the silver version of the titanium ones (HRS6-204-GS), or the 2013 S-Line 20" wheels...
Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously it's all subjective for each individual, but I just yesterday went in to do a quick listen to base and B&O in a Q5 (they actually had non-B&O vehicles on the lot) with some of my various music to see how they worked. My expectation was that either would be fine but the B&O would be better, and that seemed to hold up with the B&O sounding a bit clearer and the bass wasn't as boomy as in the base system (turning down the bass in the standard system to -2 or so helped that a little, though).

Of course, them both being reasonable enough systems for my usage (low volume high-bitrate MP3s) doesn't make for an easy determination, but I figure I'll try and get the B&O and just cut it if I need to control costs (which is where most options are -- don't know how much in option costs we'll be comfortable with until pricing is released).

As long as you aren't being critical, I would expect the base system to be fine for your purposes, too, especially if you listen to the radio a lot ("overcompressed mess" should sound equally bad ). You could always check with your dealer if they have any non-B&O vehicles on the lot to compare with (in addition to the Q5, the allroad, A4 and A5 share the same setup so should be "close enough" if there's not base-audio Q5s around -- B&O should be easy enough to find). I just brought an SD card with me with songs I wanted to use, but you could use a CD as well and just spend a few minutes playing with the audio controls and see how each works for you.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Echoing what idale said, if critical listening is a must then B&O definitely has a bit of advantage. However, road noise and environmental factors will probably cut into that advantage a bit. Also, as noted, the B&O's bass is slightly 'weaker' than the stock system and the subwoofer is often considered for aftermarket upgrades.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default An interesting assumption in here, FWIW

That is, that options costs are controllable. I of course get what you mean, but being sober from watching prior Audis like this with an already warmed up following: Won't surprise me at all if car is at least initially allocated, and could be for a year plus. Having watched it on the Q7's w/ TDI for their first few years, they were quite the local (SF BAY Area) fashionable large SUV for a while. Led to the vehicles being really packed on options, and I expect not much way around it.

If I were a dealer with an allocated car, I would likely be doing the same thing to improve my margins. And while an order might seem a way around it, that assumes they will both write an order and that the order doesn't count against allocations. But I expect the order would counrt against any allocations on U.S. deliveries.

Best hopes I guess are either it doesn't go on allocation, or getting order in before the larger demand hits, if it does beyond the initial pent up enthusiast demand.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the B&O now and was wondering about deleting it on my 2014 TDI order, so I went to the dealership and listened to the Concert radio in a 2013 Q5. Now, I don't play the stereo at a high volume and listen to the news, my iPod music, and some FM. Some of the time it is muted....so the bottom line is: No B&O for my next Q5. I'm positive I'll be just as happy with the Concert system.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm very happy with the base radio, but considering what you're ordering, what's another $850. I love the S-Line wheels on white.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mark: First, congrats on deciding to take the plunge. Which car is this replacing, your A3 or the wife's Tiguan?

Here is a pretty good summary of both systems written by a member who owns both systems:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...46&postcount=4
Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my '13 off the lot and it had the B&O system on it. I don't usually order cars and ordinarily I wouldn't have ponied up the $850 for it, but it does sound good. I listen to satellite radio a lot and it does a good job with that format.

No regrets. I'm glad to have it but could have easily lived without it too.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
Mark: First, congrats on deciding to take the plunge. Which car is this replacing, your A3 or the wife's Tiguan?

Here is a pretty good summary of both systems written by a member who owns both systems:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...46&postcount=4
Thanks, good info! Replacing the A3 as my daily driver - more space *and* better fuel economy The Tig is perfect for her.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the B&O in my '10 and on several occasions had a Q5 loaner without it. Honesty, it's not worth the premium because it's nothing special. The B&O in the A4/A5/Q5 is nowhere near the sound fidelity of the B&O in the A6/A7/A8. I understand that the latter costs quite a bit more but having heard the base system in my loaner Q5s, which already sounds decent, I still don't feel the Q5 B&O is worth it despite the relatively modest premium compared to the A8 system. For the record, I'm only a recovering audiophile (2 years sober) but by no means an audio expert. The fact that this is going in a car that doesn't have the greatest road noise isolation among Audi models thanks to the panoramic roof and other factors, makes it not so great of a value.

Having said that, I did order my SQ5 with the B&O only because I wanted all the other stuff that comes in the prestige package that it's bundled with (rear window shades, thermo cup holders, etc)

Last edited by larryV; 04-25-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: About to place order on TDI, should I get B&O? Here are my plans...