Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Adjusting rpm during launch control on SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting rpm during launch control on SQ5

Hi guys, is there any way to increase starting rpm during launch control? I'm following the manual, flooring both pedals and all I got is 2100 rpm sharp. I've read that 3k is a normal starting point for launch control, but I can't get there...or is there a problem with my car?
Audi SQ5 3.0T 2016 (US)
Old 12-08-2016, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Michael Mayers
Hi guys, is there any way to increase starting rpm during launch control? I'm following the manual, flooring both pedals and all I got is 2100 rpm sharp. I've read that 3k is a normal starting point for launch control, but I can't get there...or is there a problem with my car?
Audi SQ5 3.0T 2016 (US)
Ummm, SQ5 doesn't have a true launch control feature. If you're revving against the torque converter (which I presume is what you're doing), be careful - that's a good way to damage the transmission.

L/C generally requires a dual-clutch (DCT/S-Tronic) transmission, which the US SQ5 doesn't have....it uses a traditional torque-converter automatic:

2014 Audi SQ5 First Drive
Old 12-08-2016, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

On the S/Q5 ZF8 tranny, that 2100 is basically the stall speed of the torque converter so that's all you'll get. My guess is the 3k number is carryover from the DSG cars which actually hold engine RPM at a pre-determined speed with the clutch disengaged until you release the brake.

I'll try mine on the way home tonight, but I am pretty sure it sits at 2100-2200
Old 12-08-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Ummm, SQ5 doesn't have a true launch control feature. If you're revving against the torque converter (which I presume is what you're doing), be careful - that's a good way to damage the transmission.

L/C generally requires a dual-clutch (DCT/S-Tronic) transmission, which the US SQ5 doesn't have....it uses a traditional torque-converter automatic:

2014 Audi SQ5 First Drive
On Audizine Forum, it's been begrudgingly agreed that the Q5/SQ5 Launch Control feature be referred to as "Launch Control" (quotes mandatory) so as to not start WWIII again

In the Audi ZF8 case, there is some kind of accelerate-at-max-rate program that's kicked off by engaging "Launch Control", but what it really means is it'll let you brake torque for up to 5 seconds, and when you release the brake it shifts gears WAY more aggressively than any other D/S/Dynamic mode. It's quite a bit quicker from a stop to 60mph or 1/4 mile, but it's more to do with the short shift time than anything
Old 12-08-2016, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yeah, launch control requires a transmission with a clutch, so that the drivetrain stays disengaged while the engine is being revved to the desired launch rpm and then when you let go off the brake, the computer drops the clutch and controls the throttle to take off with minimal wheel spin.

With a traditional torque converter automatic, launch control is a bit of an oxymoron. With a torque converter the drivetrain is always coupled to the engine, so you can't just rev the engine to an arbitrary point while stopped. All you can do is take the engine rpm up to the torque converter's stall speed to prime everything and then take off. If you were to take the rpm higher, you would just stall the engine, fight the drivetrain or worse damage the torque converter eventually. The launch control programs in cars like the SQ5 and RS7 are basically just programs that allow you to do a safe brake torque launch w/o damaging anything in the process.

Torque converter stall speed is the maximum amount of engine RPM that can be achieved in an automatic transmission-equipped vehicle while the transmission is in a forward operating range without generating any driveshaft motion.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-08-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You do, of course, know that the SQ5 is not a drag race car, right? OK good, carry on!

It's your car, you don't need anyone's permission or approval. Let 'er rip!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Everything that Audi says for launch control in different models:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24520336
Old 12-09-2016, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
You do, of course, know that the SQ5 is not a drag race car, right? OK good, carry on!
Anything can be fun with enough power!
Old 12-09-2016, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine hits right at 3,000 RPM doing the "launch control" and shifts really hard. I am in a TDI.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Anything can be fun with enough power!
Power is Good
More is Better
Too Much is Juuuuust Right!