Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Another oil consumption thread - my last Audi

Old 08-31-2015, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another oil consumption thread - my last Audi

I have 2.0T 2011 Audi Q5 with a VIN that is affected by high oil consumption and law suite. It was OK till ~65K but then started to develop excessive oil consumption at scary rate. I am at 92K miles now and have to add ~1 quarter per 1,000 miles. It is still accelerating so I expect it to become ever worse.

My friend (also 2011 Q5; 90,000K) just had his rings replaced for free at dealership in LA that fixed the problem.

Today I stopped at Audi of Escondido where I bought my car and served my car since day one for oil consumption test. However, SA told me that (a) law suite covers only up to 70K; (b) in the past before that law suite he could possibly help me but now there is NOTHING he can do; (c) if I want to do stage 1 test it will cost me $500 just for the test.

Certainly I am very unhappy. I was planning to keep this car for few more years but no way I will do this considering how quickly oil consumption accelerates and no way I will pay out of pocket to fix what AUDI had to do right in the first place. I guess my only option is to get rid of this car ASAP, preferably through tread in before it hit $100,000.

Any other suggestions? It seems that some owners were lucky to have their car fixed for free but my dealer does not give me ANY options.

Thanks and sorry for a long post.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What totally **** me off in this situation is that the same SA topped up oil to my car probably 3 or 4 times over last 1.5 years and never asked me about mileadge of my car or never mentioned Test 1 or 2. When I read here about tests and brought my car for Test 1 appointment, the first question he asked what is my mileadge. And then said that nothing he can do for me.

First time I was there to add oil because of light, I have less than 70k and then many times less than 80k.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Audi of America and see what they can do if anything to help you.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Call Audi of America and see what they can do if anything to help you.
Thanks I will. I was looking online and it seems that Audi should cover it for 18 months after Jan, 2015 if no previous repair was done, see below. Is there any version of that statement issued by Audi of America?

Effective immediately, any current owner or lessee of a Settlement Class Vehicle that did not previously receive a Service Adjustment, and who submits documentary proof (in the form of service or maintenance records and/or invoices) of compliance with the oil and oil filter maintenance requirements and schedule set forth in his/her vehicle’s Warranty and Maintenance Booklet and Owner’s Manual with a permissible 10% variance on the mileage interval requirements, may have the Service Adjustment performed on his/her Settlement Class Vehicle, free of charge, by an authorized Audi dealer. This free Service Adjustment is available to qualified Settlement Class Members only if he/she makes the appointment for the Service Adjustment with the dealer no later than eighteen (18) months after January 28, 2015, and the Service Adjustment is performed no later than ninety (90) days after said period.

The Service Adjustment must be performed by an authorized Audi dealer. You will not be eligible for a Service Adjustment if your vehicle’s engine has been damaged as a result of abuse, alteration or modification, a collision or crash, vandalism and/or other impact. If you choose to have a Service Adjustment performed pursuant to this Settlement, you cannot opt-out of or exclude yourself from the Settlement Class.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by max90034
I have 2.0T 2011 Audi Q5 with a VIN that is affected by high oil consumption and law suite. It was OK till ~65K but then started to develop excessive oil consumption at scary rate. I am at 92K miles now and have to add ~1 quarter per 1,000 miles. It is still accelerating so I expect it to become ever worse.

Pffft... that's nothing. 1 measly little quart. You can actually go through 2-3 tanks of fuel before topping off. Tell us when you reach 3.1L per 1000mi.... then we can talk. ROFL!!! I pretty much add a quart for every 15 gallons of fuel, basically a 50:1 ratio almost like a 2 stroke.

Audi is having me come back in for an additional inspection and will probably replace my motor.

It's pretty disappointing that they made a piston ring change without adequately testing it. I love my BMW and Audi in how they drive and perform, but it blows my mind at their inability to achieve the basic reliability levels the the Japanesse typically manage. They aren't perfect, but don't seem plagued by "known issues" to this degree.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your Q5 to another dealer and see what they say. My dealership took care of ours no questions asked and we were out of warranty.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The settlement extended your warranty to 8 years and 80,000 miles.

However, I'm at 97,000 miles and the closest dealer to me, that my independent shop referred me to, is taking care of mine as well. I think for Audi is addressing the issues liberally it seems.

However, it cannot have had any attempt to repair it completed prior. Maybe that's your issue.

You dealer needs newer information.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

My understanding (I get my Audi serviced at the same dealer) is that they are actively fixing them. Who was your SA?
Old 08-30-2020, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So was there a model year when this problem was finally fixed?
Old 08-30-2020, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the other thread posted a quart every 1000 miles is within limits of normal consumption. I did some research and think that is Audi’s stance on that issue. I could be wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another oil consumption thread - my last Audi