Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Another Software Cheat Discovered

Old 11-06-2016, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another Software Cheat Discovered

This one not limited to diesels. Jalopnik reports the Q5 was among the affected models.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...ar-report-says

America Figured Out A New Way Audi Cheated on Emissions Testing: Report

Edit: It appears Automotive News pulled the article, so the link isn't currently working. Here is what they reported verbatim.

"FRANKFURT -- A U.S. regulator found software in some Audi vehicles that lowered their carbon dioxide emissions if it detected they were being used under test conditions, Bild am Sonntag reported.

The California Air Resources Board discovered the software in an automatic transmission Audi last summer, the German weekly newspaper said, without citing any sources.

CARB had no immediate comment and Audi was not immediately available for comment on Sunday's Bild am Sonntag report.

The paper said the device, which was not the same as the one behind last year's diesel emissions violations at Audi parent Volkswagen, was also used in diesel and gasoline-powered cars in Europe.

VW's admission that it had installed software that deactivated pollution controls on more than 11 million diesel vehicles sold worldwide, triggered the deepest business crisis in the German carmaker's history.

Audi, the main contributor to VW group profit, has also admitted its 3.0- liter V-6 diesel engine was fitted with emissions-control software.

Bild am Sonntag said the software discovered by CARB, which was installed in vehicles with certain automatic transmissions, detected whether a car's steering wheel was turned.

If it was not, indicating laboratory testing conditions, the software turned on a gear-shifting program which produced less carbon dioxide than in normal road driving. If the wheel was turned in any direction by more than 15 degrees, the program was switched off, the paper said.

Audi stopped using the software in May 2016, just before CARB discovered the manipulation in an older model, the paper said, adding that the carmaker had suspended several engineers in connection with the matter.

Bild am Sonntag said a spokesman for Audi had declined to comment, citing ongoing talks with U.S. and California regulators on a proposed fix for cars with 3.0-liter engines."

Last edited by HotRodW; 11-06-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot begin to say how upset I will be if my brand new Q5 is part of this. I took a leap of faith with Audi when I purchased my Q7 in January...if my even newer Q5 is a part of this I will be first in line to be part of the lawsuit.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jallen0
I cannot begin to say how upset I will be if my brand new Q5 is part of this. I took a leap of faith with Audi when I purchased my Q7 in January...if my even newer Q5 is a part of this I will be first in line to be part of the lawsuit.

I am with you. Just bought a 2016 Q5 and A6. If any of new Audis are involved in this Scandal, I'll be pretty darn pissed.

Here's a link to another similar/same article.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/635f04d...regulator.html
Old 11-06-2016, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Geez h Christ..... ! It better not be! I will be more than pissed! I just bought my 2017 Q5 3.0 slime at the end of August. If true I will personally drive it up Audi's A.. if this is the case. Dumped the TDI WHICH WE LOVED because of of its pollution scandal.

I have noticed however, at 2000 Kim's that the tail pipes on this one are blacker than any car I have ever known! Thought I must be seeing things. What now?
Old 11-06-2016, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The AL551 transmission code that Jalopnik mentions is the ZF 8HP55 trans that the Q5 3.0T uses, I believe.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Jcampbell3
I have noticed however, at 2000 Kim's that the tail pipes on this one are blacker than any car I have ever known! Thought I must be seeing things. What now?
The exhaust tips on our '15 3.0t are so black, they cannot be cleaned anymore.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
The exhaust tips on our '15 3.0t are so black, they cannot be cleaned anymore.
It's not fun, but it's possible. A little less than a year's build up from my Q5 3.0T.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

The AL551 transmission code that Jalopnik mentions is the ZF 8HP55 trans that the Q5 3.0T uses, I believe.
Is there a way to verify what transmission code you have?
Old 11-06-2016, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Ours look way worse.

What did you use to clean them?

I tried eagle never dull wadding polish that always worked on other badly baked on stuff. It did nothing.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Ours look way worse.

What did you use to clean them?

I tried eagle never dull wadding polish that always worked on other badly baked on stuff. It did nothing.
Adam's APC and Britemax Easy Cut.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Software Cheat Discovered