Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Another Software Cheat Discovered

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And we have a lawsuit.....

Audi Facing Class-Action Emissions Lawsuit Over Gasoline-Engine Cars
Old 11-10-2016, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my Q5 last year, and was concerned about this. If Audi had cheated on diesel engines, why wouldn't they have done the same on gasoline engines. I'm guessing Audi has taken many more shortcuts in their engineering. It's really quite shocking. As an engineer myself it's disturbing that they were able to do this. Normally there are so many checks and balances that prevent you from being able to do something this deceptive. It takes engineering approval on multiple levels to accomplish that.

Any idea where to find if your car is affected? I'm guessing it's too soon to determine that.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I don't know where/how the black exhaust tips stuff got mixed in with this post, but that seems completely unrelated. No news to me about the general subject of exhaust deposits either.

My 2006 W12 was the first Audi I owned with chrome exposed tips and had the same sort of tarnish on the chrome over time. For that matter it is a port injected motor, not direct injection, and that wouldn't have anything obvious to do with it either. I think you would have to go all the way back to pre oxygen sensor motors from decades ago now when you could lean them past 14:1 with the right tricks to find the the alternate tannish deposits instead.

These deposits are really always there; you just don't notice it in a conventional non chrome dull or dark metal set up. Stick your fingers or a rag into most any tailpipe and you will. It then gets more on the outside--especially with a horizontal outlet instead of an angled down one--on cold start when the sooty stuff mixes with water condensation that gets blown out before turning entirely to steam with hotter exhaust temps after a few minutes.

Please forgive what may seem a tardy reply to the above post. As a new Q5 3.0T owner, I've been following the debate about Audi's representations closely prior to making my purchase.

I have a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3, which is a direct injection turbo engine. Bought it new in '08 and still have it. Fun little hot hatchback. It is very high output engine and has to run very rich under load to provide cylinder cooling to permit aggressive timing at high rpm. This necessarily produces a lot of carbon buildup on the exhaust tip. No one is saying that Mazda has skirted emission standards. This is inherent in the way direct injection forced induction high output engines work.

I can't say if Audi fudged on their testing data. I can say that we should expect blackening of exhaust tips over time regardless. It is a product of the way direct injection works on forced induction engines.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like a lot of folks cheaped out and didn't buy the Audi Care Bootblack option. Another couple of hundred bucks, but they send someone around three times a week to shine any shows that you've left outside the driver's door, apply tire black to the tires, and polish off any exhaust pipe deposits at the same time.

But as long as you're under Audi Care, I think you can still buy the option once they inspect your car and perform any needed service to bring it up to standards first.

(WEG)