Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 10:01 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Anyone towing with their Q5?

Old 09-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone towing with their Q5?

Hi all, we are looking to replace my wife's E53 X5 3.0 and want to be able to tow a small (18ft, 3200lbs w/trailer) ski boat. I have an 01.5 S4 so naturally I wanted to look at Q7's. We drove a 3.6l, and she loves the interior and the way it drives, she is not sold on the overall look of the Q7 however so we drove an E70 X5 3.0si. Although esthetically it is really nice and had decent power, the iDrive system is not very intuitive and the interior seems to be a little cheaper then our previous model.

We had originally thought that the Q5's were too small for our needs, but have now decided to give them a good look and am wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, or has owned either the Q7 or X5 and now owns the Q5? Specifically, is there a tow hitch available from Audi or a high quality aftermarket set up? Is anyone currently towing with their Q5, and what is the max rated tow capacity/braking capacity while towing?

Thanks for any input!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Max rated tow capacity for 2.0T or 3.2 is 4400 lbs. I have a 2.0T coming with a trailer hitch, wish I could tell you about it, but I have to wait until mid-November.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes - tows like a champ!

Name:  IMG_1393.jpg
Views: 25602
Size:  117.7 KB

I use an aftermarket tow bar that I fitted myself - there is plenty of information on the forum on towing and tow bars.

All the best with your decision.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:56 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

I use a Curt hitch that I installed after market. I thought I'd save some $$ but turns out that after installation, costs, ordering a harness from the UK and doing the software coding I just saved a couple of hundred bucks. Go with the Audi hitch to save yourself some headaches, it's worth the cost. Best to get all the specs from the dealer. Found this online:
Towing Capacity: 4400 lbs Tongue Weight: 440 lbs.
Towing Capacity: Brake(2000kg), Unbrake(750kg)
Old 09-19-2011, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
Yes - tows like a champ!

I use an aftermarket tow bar that I fitted myself - there is plenty of information on the forum on towing and tow bars.

All the best with your decision.
That has to be at 4400lbs? How does the Q5 handle that load on start, stops and hills?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrV
I use a Curt hitch that I installed after market. I thought I'd save some $$ but turns out that after installation, costs, ordering a harness from the UK and doing the software coding I just saved a couple of hundred bucks. Go with the Audi hitch to save yourself some headaches, it's worth the cost. Best to get all the specs from the dealer. Found this online:
Towing Capacity: 4400 lbs Tongue Weight: 440 lbs.
Towing Capacity: Brake(2000kg), Unbrake(750kg)
Thanks for the info. After searching the forum, it seems like the Audi hitch is a little less expensive to install when you have the S-line due to the "trap door" already on the S bumper cover, which is great because I'm looking at the S-line anyway.

I can't seem to find any definitive info on the the EBC. Does the OEM hitch come as a package with the EBC, or is it not actually a controller but instead an interface? Sounds like it is integrated with the ECU because some of the posts indicated that it affects engine and tranny settings. Is it simply a module that plugs into a harness in the back, and then you buy a brake controller separately?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 1atlas
That has to be at 4400lbs? How does the Q5 handle that load on start, stops and hills?
I agree, that is a cool picture, pretty impressive!

I second the question but mostly in relation to the stopping, did you do some type of EBC, or do you have a trailer with surge brakes? I have no doubt the Q5 can pull, I am concerned about trailer sway and stopping if towing long distances, over mountain passes, etc.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No EBC for the OEM trailer hitch on my 09 Q5. At least that's what the receiver label states.

The ECU connection does provide info on blown signal lights on the trailer though. Nice!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a factory hitch installed on my '10 Q5. I use it to tow ~1500 lbs of motorcycles and trailer. If not for the image on the MMI when I put it into reverse, it's hardly noticable.

I'm also using one of these cusioned ball mounts and it makes the braking/accleration transitions pretty quiet: http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/...all/AMSC4.html
Old 09-20-2011, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm towing a 1300 pound camping trailer and it is fine. Drops gas mileage somewhat but not terrible. At 4400 rating I'd not want to tow more than 2200 which is half. From Seattle most directions involve mountains and I want plenty of wiggle room. This is a 2.0 and you don't even know the trailer is there. The big mirrors are great, too.
allgrrl in Seattle
The following users liked this post:
paramedick (12-16-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone towing with their Q5?