Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Connect - Switched SIM to AT&T can't register at myaudiconnect.com

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Connect - Switched SIM to AT&T can't register at myaudiconnect.com

Background: I recently bought a used 2015 SQ5 that came with a T-Mobile SIM card in the MMI. I tried to register it at myAudiConnect.com and during the registration process it prompted for the VIN and SIM info. Using the T-Mobile SIM resulted in an error that the SIM was in use. (Presumably because the original owner activated the T-Mobile SIM previously)

I've already got an AT&T family share plan, so I went to the AT&T store yesterday and picked up a 3G SIM card, added it to my account, and popped it in. (The store had to use a different IMEI besides the one from the SQ5 in order to activate the SIM.) The data connection came alive and the Google Maps functionality is now working.

I tried again to complete my registration at myaudiconnect, but when I use my VIN and the current AT&T SIM, I get an error "SIM Not Found" and I can't complete the registration.

Am I out of luck? I thought I had heard that the Android app would allow you to complete this process, but I can't get past the login on there with my username/pass, even though I'm sure they're correct. I'm guessing it's because I wasn't able to complete my registration from the main site.

Any ideas how to complete registration? I feel like I'm missing out on some features. But I'm not going to go the T-Mobile route because we have an existing data plan with AT&T and I'm not going to add a new service just for the car.

Thanks!
-Brett.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is my best advice. Call Audi customer service 800 number. Let them help you reset the myAudi account for the vehicle so you can register with myAudi. They will probably ask you to purchase Audi Connect subscription which you can say you will do that later (and not do). It is two separate items. myAudi registration vs. the Audi Connect subscription.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I had exactly the same experience. I just gave up on registering and use the in car Audi Connect features. I really don't think I'm missing much and I only spend $10.00 per month for the AT&T SIM card with no contractural obligations. For me the availability of voice searching online destinations and having them load to MMI is the most useful feature.
I do wonder if DennisMitchell's suggestion might work though. It would be nice to have it all but I'm not sure it would be worth the T mobile $30.00 per month.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
... Let them help you reset the myAudi account for the vehicle so you can register with myAudi.
... myAudi registration vs. the Audi Connect subscription.
I want to make sure I'm clear on this because I got confused by what all the "moving parts" of Audi Connect are. As I understand it there's the data connection itself (which in my case is the AT&T SIM card) and then there's the account on My Audi Connect.

As it stands I have a functional data connection. I'm missing the web site account, which as I understand it is a free thing, no subscription fee required. It would allow me to send directions to the car, for one thing.

So... you're saying that I should call and ask them to do a reset to allow my VIN to be registered again? Or something to do with my account on myAudiConnect.com? Sorry, just want to make sure I know what I should be asking for when I call. I called once yesterday to get some general info and when I started asking about switching from T-Mobile to AT&T she made it clear that they thought that was solidly in "it might work but you're on your own" territory. She had no advice for me, other than to say she's heard of people switching and having it work, but I think she was strictly referring to the car's data connection, not necessarily the account on myAudiConnect.com.

Thanks!
-Brett.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The myAudi online and app is pretty much only useful for Send to Car destinations. Audi Connect requires you use one of their plans and sim in order to use myAudi. Any other sim will not allow send to car unless you had registered with an original Audi Connect T-Mobile sim previously and then switched to another non-AC sim. That was changed a couple of years ago.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The myAudi online and app is pretty much only useful for Send to Car destinations. Audi Connect requires you use one of their plans and sim in order to use myAudi. Any other sim will not allow send to car unless you had registered with an original Audi Connect T-Mobile sim previously and then switched to another non-AC sim. That was changed a couple of years ago.
Didn't know Audi would prevent the non-audi sim sign-up. So the OP could do a month to month Audi Connect T-Mobile, then switch to non-Audi later. $30 / month until he converts.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bhaney
I want to make sure I'm clear on this because I got confused by what all the "moving parts" of Audi Connect are. As I understand it there's the data connection itself (which in my case is the AT&T SIM card) and then there's the account on My Audi Connect.

As it stands I have a functional data connection. I'm missing the web site account, which as I understand it is a free thing, no subscription fee required. It would allow me to send directions to the car, for one thing.

So... you're saying that I should call and ask them to do a reset to allow my VIN to be registered again? Or something to do with my account on myAudiConnect.com? Sorry, just want to make sure I know what I should be asking for when I call. I called once yesterday to get some general info and when I started asking about switching from T-Mobile to AT&T she made it clear that they thought that was solidly in "it might work but you're on your own" territory. She had no advice for me, other than to say she's heard of people switching and having it work, but I think she was strictly referring to the car's data connection, not necessarily the account on myAudiConnect.com.

Thanks!
-Brett.
So with the additional information that SNAG provided if you want all the Audi Connect functionality including being able to use the Audi Connect app, you need to call Audi and get it all worked out. You will need to signup for Audi Connect data on a month to month basis. Then you can plug in your ATT sim later and if it is all working, not renew the Audi Connect service.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Dennis, I don't believe that's correct. Even if you sign up and use an Audi Connect plan and sim for a month, if you switch to another non-AC sim, you will no longer be able to use myAudi or the MMI Connect app for Send to Car destinations (which is about all you can do anyway with either method). It used to be possible to do this but AC and T-Mo changed this a couple of years ago, prob to encourage using their more expensive plans. All of the other AC features will still work in the MMI however. (Note that there have been recent reported connectivity issues with a US Mobile T-Mo sim).

FYI, for those with MY2012/2013 with Audi Connect, T-Mo is in process of changing their 3G band to that used by AT&T in various areas around the U.S. which will render 3G inoperable leaving only 2G speeds. If you are in one of those areas after T-Mo makes the switch and an original owner with an active AC T-Mo plan, Audi will update your modem to the new 3G band at no charge. MY2014/2015 already have the updated 3G modem.

Note that certain models, i.e. the MY2016+ C7 series and MY2017 A4 and Q7, come equipped with a built-in, internal sim for AT&T 4G LTE only for Audi Connect features. For those models there are advanced myAudi and MMI Connect features added beyond the send to car destinations.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have USMobile Sims in my 2014 and 2015 cars and I can send navigation coordinates from my phone to my vehicles MMI via the Audi Connect app. Maybe I'm fortunate. YMMV.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Just to clarify something. There seems to be a confusion about the two Audi connect related sites. To register your myAudi account for the Audi connect features such as send to car, you need to go to my.Audi.com. Myaudiconnect.com is used to purchase or manage your data subscription. If you are using a third party SIM or a non Audi connect SIM from AT&T or T-Mobile then this site does nothing for you, but you should still be able to go to my.audi.com and create your myAudi account.