Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

BIG THANK YOU and Extended Warranty....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG THANK YOU and Extended Warranty....

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I purchased an 09 Q5 with about 50K miles on it about 3 months ago. We were stupid enough to not purchase an extended warranty but kept telling ourselves we needed to get one asap. Well a few months have gone by and we still haven't. A few days ago I cranked up the car and my MIL came on. I took it by the local Auto Zone and they gave me codes P0491 and P0492. Last night I found this forum and saw that there was a recall for my model and it was due to "Engine Cylinder Head Secondary Air Ports". I went to a local mechanic today and he confirmed the issue was due to the recall. Fast forward a few hours later and I have a loaner Audi I am driving and they are taking care of the issue. So first I want to say a huge thank you to whoever put this recall letter on this forum. It was extremely helpful!

Second question is this- Who do I need to go through for my extended warranty? Honestly my dream car is a Q7 and I hope to purchase one towards the end of the year. I just need a good warranty to cover any major mechanical issue to get us through the end of the year. Would it be best to order this directly through Audi or does anyone have any other companies they can recommend?

Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2014, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fsufamily
Hi Everyone!

My husband and I purchased an 09 Q5 with about 50K miles on it about 3 months ago. We were stupid enough to not purchase an extended warranty but kept telling ourselves we needed to get one asap. Well a few months have gone by and we still haven't. A few days ago I cranked up the car and my MIL came on. I took it by the local Auto Zone and they gave me codes P0491 and P0492. Last night I found this forum and saw that there was a recall for my model and it was due to "Engine Cylinder Head Secondary Air Ports". I went to a local mechanic today and he confirmed the issue was due to the recall. Fast forward a few hours later and I have a loaner Audi I am driving and they are taking care of the issue. So first I want to say a huge thank you to whoever put this recall letter on this forum. It was extremely helpful!

Second question is this- Who do I need to go through for my extended warranty? Honestly my dream car is a Q7 and I hope to purchase one towards the end of the year. I just need a good warranty to cover any major mechanical issue to get us through the end of the year. Would it be best to order this directly through Audi or does anyone have any other companies they can recommend?

Thanks again!
Whilst you're shopping around, it's best to purchase the warranty through the dealership you decide on, and remember, negotiate the price of every single thing to the floor!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Chances are you won't come anywhere close to making up what you spent on the warranty but when it comes time to sell you may be able to get a pro-rated refund if you plan allows it.

If you are truly serious about getting into the Q7 by the end of the year I would just save the cash and not bother with the warranty
Old 07-10-2014, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located? I'm going to guess FL by your name.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Buckwheat2088
Where are you located? I'm going to guess FL by your name.
We are now in the suburbs of Atlanta originally from the panhandle of Florida
Old 07-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fsufamily
Hi Everyone!

Thanks again!
Hello, since i've got help from other owners in this forum now i also give some idea towards other people.
Here in Montreal, when you buy a Q5 or Q7, i believe the major parts is under warranty for 80,000km or 4 years whichever comes first. However this is our situation i'm not sure in States if this is the same story.
When you receive this warranty list you gotta figure out if those bigger parts are under warranty, like transmission,engine,etc...it should be well explained in paper. SO ask your dealer if there is a package deal covers those parts not included in that 4 years warranty. I know here if you purchase a brand-new Audi there is a one year manufacture warranty then you need to buy some other stuff afterwards such as Audi-Care...etc
Hope this can give your some idea.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

fsu, are you sure you are looking at an extended warranty? Not just a third-party warranty insurance plan for the car?

Yes, an older Audi can be expensive to repair but those warranty programs are pure profit for the dealers, they are damned expensive compared to the average repair costs for a car. And the fine print can make them even less of a bargain.

For any used car, you want to check with a dealer or check with the NHTSA.GOV web site to see what recalls or advisories have been put out on a car. And the dealer can tell you if they were in fact done to your car.