Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is Audi Q5 TDI that bad???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Audi Q5 TDI that bad???

I have my mom drive me from dentist's and she keeps complaining the car is not quick and won't move. it hurts her leg after 15 miles as she needs to use more force than with her car to move the car. She says car won't stop either, bad brake.
So I drove her car a few days later. It's MKC 2.0T and oh my. It's quick from stop and brakes instant. A lot better than my 15 Audi TDI.

I remember when I test drove 2.0T Q5, it like turtle. Then I jumped into TDI and I sealed the deal. So is it 2.0T Q5 tricks me into buying TDI? Or after 6K miles, there is something wrong with my car?

Now after driving MKC, I want to trade in my TDI for something. I don't like Lincoln, I don't like BMW and MB either. So it doesn't leave me with much option. Guess I should consider sedan now. TLX or Q50 or A6?
Old 08-27-2015, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audio_video_guy
I have my mom drive me from dentist's and she keeps complaining the car is not quick and won't move. it hurts her leg after 15 miles as she needs to use more force than with her car to move the car. She says car won't stop either, bad brake.
So I drove her car a few days later. It's MKC 2.0T and oh my. It's quick from stop and brakes instant. A lot better than my 15 Audi TDI.

I remember when I test drove 2.0T Q5, it like turtle. Then I jumped into TDI and I sealed the deal. So is it 2.0T Q5 tricks me into buying TDI? Or after 6K miles, there is something wrong with my car?

Now after driving MKC, I want to trade in my TDI for something. I don't like Lincoln, I don't like BMW and MB either. So it doesn't leave me with much option. Guess I should consider sedan now. TLX or Q50 or A6?
Your car must be a wreck as according to C&D the Q5 TDI is faster, brakes better and is in a different league when it comes to quality finish and interior. Don't even think about comparable fuel consumption! Good luck with your trade-in.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd take a Q5 TDI in a heart beat. Usually get one as a loaner. Good luck with your situation.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love my Q5 TDI, I would not trade it for anything, well, perhaps for a brand new Cayenne Diesel!

I find my Q5 TDI to be one of the finest diesel cars in the market - overall.

Your car must be a lemon.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by audio_video_guy

I don't think I follow you. You seem to be all over the place.

Your mom thought the TDI felt slow and didn't stop well. And now you do too. You drove her MKC and it feels faster with better brakes. For possible alternatives, you don't like BMW, MB and like the MKC but don't like Lincoln either. Other alternatives are all sedans vs. CUV's being discussed here. Have you considered the MDX or RDX?

My advice. Just keep the TDI. Get used to it and enjoy!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on version/options, the MKC is about 700 lbs lighter than Q5 TDI, so that's probably why it feels different when driving... quicker takeoff from stand still and quicker stops. MKC is more comparable to a Q3 than to a Q5, really.

Still, the 3.0 TDI should not really feel slow, so I'm not sure what the issue is in your particular case.

Since you've eliminated BMW and MB, then maybe check out the Lexus NX200t F Sport, if you can handle the styling, that is. It's similar size to the MKC.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 08-27-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MKC is a fancy Ford Escape. Won't be in the same league as a Q5 based on he Audi A4. MKC would be more like a Q3. Different size and dynamics. Q3 will be more nimble, better in commuting, parking sharper. The Q5 will be more stable, smoother.

Audi and BMW tend to calibrate their throttle and brakes so they are more linear. They require more force, but they stop, really really well. Don't warp their rotors easy and otherwise are built for performance.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Also, if you have not followed this procedure, your braking performance may be less than optimal.

I must admit I have not, and the wife's Q5 does appear to take more effort to slow down (compared to my 530i), but then again, the Q5 is really heavy, so I'm sure that's part of it.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A little hard to decipher here, but what OP seems to be identifying is what's to me a common difference between American and German cars.

American cars take very little effort to drive - touch the accelerator and they go. Touch the brakes and they grab. Move the steering wheel slightly and around you go.

German cars don't do this (at least the Audis and BMWs I've driven). It takes a bigger push on the throttle to get a response, same for brakes and steering. Every time I rent a (American) car I notice this - a mere touch of the accelerator and I'm hitting the rental building wall.

The benefit to the German approach is that it's easier to modulate input - the brakes aren't just on/off. Same for the accelerator. But I can see how someone used to the American approach would feel that a German car is sluggish and non-responsive, at least until they've actually tried to drive it.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by A6forMoi
German cars don't do this (at least the Audis and BMWs I've driven). It takes a bigger push on the throttle to get a response, same for brakes and steering.
I test drove a GTI recently. Talk about touchy brakes. Exactly like the American cars you described.

Quick Reply: Is Audi Q5 TDI that bad???