Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 - Tyre Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q5 - Tyre Problems

Evening all, new to the forum to hello first up!

Secondly I purchased a 2013 Audi Q5 2.0 TDi 177 Quattro S-Line Plus S-Tronic in Jan, love the car BUT seem to be having a mare with tyres.

Got 2 total flats in the space of 2 weeks (different tyres), first one I got fixed and the second one today.

As the car was at home I attempted to fix, I inflated the spare master several times but each time it kept inflating with the tyre hanging well over the rim and not even. Has anyone else experienced this and have a work around? Tried checking on YouTube but just lots of videos and it's supposed to work

Thanks Jamie
Old 02-19-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Has the bead on the spare come apart from the rim and allowing air to escape?

Grey
Old 02-19-2017, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JayCunningham74
Evening all, new to the forum to hello first up!

Secondly I purchased a 2013 Audi Q5 2.0 TDi 177 Quattro S-Line Plus S-Tronic in Jan, love the car BUT seem to be having a mare with tyres.

Got 2 total flats in the space of 2 weeks (different tyres), first one I got fixed and the second one today.

As the car was at home I attempted to fix, I inflated the spare master several times but each time it kept inflating with the tyre hanging well over the rim and not even. Has anyone else experienced this and have a work around? Tried checking on YouTube but just lots of videos and it's supposed to work

Thanks Jamie
I have used the spare. In my situation I drove into the shop with the flat. They inflated the collapsable spare for me from the shop compressor and no problem. When fully inflated it will look like a "donut" spare tire.

I suspect that you haven't fully inflated the spare. As it fills up, the tire will change shape.

Also, in order to collapse the tire after use, you really need to remove the valve from the valve stem to get is totally deflated. It will return the the collapsed shape for storage back under the floor.

The owners manual will help you through all of this. The owner's manual is your best friend.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Greystoke
Has the bead on the spare come apart from the rim and allowing air to escape?

Grey
Hi Grey, it's defo holding the air fine without escaping.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I have used the spare. In my situation I drove into the shop with the flat. They inflated the collapsable spare for me from the shop compressor and no problem. When fully inflated it will look like a "donut" spare tire.

I suspect that you haven't fully inflated the spare. As it fills up, the tire will change shape.

Also, in order to collapse the tire after use, you really need to remove the valve from the valve stem to get is totally deflated. It will return the the collapsed shape for storage back under the floor.

The owners manual will help you through all of this. The owner's manual is your best friend.

Hey Dennis, yes I used the manual for all the options to replace the tyre and also checked a few videos online to see if there was any special position it needed to be in.

I inflated it to 33PSI (manual says 30 for 3 people, 33 for 5 passengers) so I was uncomfortable inflating it any more. I wish I'd taken a picture but I can see from the videos online that it was defo not doing a smilier thing as it was inflating. Once I'd got it to 33PSI the tyre was around 8-10cm away from where it should have been.

I also tried the canister option to fix the flat but that didn't work but I suspect the damage to the tyre to to great for it.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Dennis, yes I used the manual for all the options to replace the tyre and also checked a few videos online to see if there was any special position it needed to be in.

I inflated it to 33PSI (manual says 30 for 3 people, 33 for 5 passengers) so I was uncomfortable inflating it any more. I wish I'd taken a picture but I can see from the videos online that it was defo not doing a smilier thing as it was inflating. Once I'd got it to 33PSI the tyre was around 8-10cm away from where it should have been.

I also tried the canister option to fix the flat but that didn't work but I suspect the damage to the tyre to to great for it.
I just checked by door label for my tires. While 33PSI is for the standard tires, the spare needs to be filled to 51PSI. I bet if you fill to 51PSI the tire will take the desired diameter and width.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

One tip, as the compressor takes forever inflating the tire if the air valve stem core is installed. Go to an auto parts store and buy a few valve stem core removers and a few valve stems (in case you drop/lose the original). The compressor inflates the spare much more quickly without the stem core installed and actually helps pop the tire on the rim more quickly also.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 02-19-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I just checked by door label for my tires. While 33PSI is for the standard tires, the spare needs to be filled to 51PSI. I bet if you fill to 51PSI the tire will take the desired diameter and width.
Wow - that is a lot more than I would have thought! I'll give it a go.

Thank you!
Old 02-19-2017, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
One tip, as the compressor takes forever inflating the tire if the air valve stem core is installed. Go to a auto parts store and by a few valve stem core removers and a few valve stems (in case you drop/lose the original). The compressor inflates the spare much more quickly without the stem core installed and actually helps pop the tire on the rim more quickly also.
thanks Bob!
Old 02-19-2017, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you

To everyone that gave advise, all solid and I'm up and running!

My first experience on Audi world has been a great one!