Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is is because it is a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the terminology is as follows (from most off-highway capable to least):

-Four-wheel-drive: Ladder frame, four-wheel-drive always selectable in high and low (truck)
-SUV: Ladder OR unibody frame, available locking rear & center diffs (sometimes selectable), usually automatic torque sensing;
-CUV: Unibody frame, all-wheel-drive, transmission automatically selects torque diff, rarely if ever locking, more carlike suspension.

Then again, I could be wrong. Has happened a few times before.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:42 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Transfer
I like my SQ5 for what it is, but I have no doubts I would be happier with a Macan Turbo loaded up with options such as PTV, air suspension...
Well said. Steve
Old 04-02-2014, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

The answer is simple: Porsche's higher class than Audi.
In Macan will be installed Audi TDI engine, but simply Porsche is higher class cars

You can not compare the Porsche and Lamborghini, both are sports cars but Lamborghini is higher class cars
Paying for the name and prestige

Enjoy life
Old 04-02-2014, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default I'd wager . . . .

. . .that Audi will offer the Sport Differential and I would see no reason that NOW they couldn't offer up the S-Tronic, too. The only reason the S-Tronic (at the time) wasn't offered was it had not yet reached the "durability" to withstand the uprated torque of the SQ5 V6.

And now for a little story regarding the adventure of getting an SQ5:

I have no idea if the remarks of one dealer mean much, but our dealer here in Cincinnati (the Audi Connection) says the issue with the SQ5 (and, indeed all of the Q5 models) is availability. Apparently (my interpretation) they can sell all they have in inventory and then some.

Data point: my wife actually ordered a Curvee Silver Q5 3.0T with Audi Side Assist and almost all of the things that make a Prestige model so named. She also ordered it with the "sport interior" in Chestnut Brown -- and I think she ordered upgraded wheels, to boot.

Well there was ONE SQ5 in inventory and for the hell of it, she drove it -- then drove the 3.0T Q5 and the SQ5 back to back (at two separate times, just to make sure there wasn't any comparison wow factor tainting her opinion.

The SQ5 that was in inventory lasted about a total of 6 days on the lot and it was brilliant black with the black alcantara interior and that was about it.

We tried to "locate" an SQ5 that somewhat came close to the Curvee Silver/Chestnut Q5, etc. The deal breaker was the car had to have Audi Side Assist and a red leather interior (someone showed her the S model guide), period, not negotiable.

We found a car in the Atlantic ocean (on a boat, actually) and it met the criteria -- the only issue was it was a Prestige model which did add to the price (not only that but it had Panther Black paint, which is something like $1,075 over the standard paint and about double the Curvee Silver).

At this point, smitten with the SQ5, it was damn the torpedoes, get the SQ5 Prestige with Panther Paint and Red Leather.

We got our mits on the car on the boat and all we had to do was wait.

Mean time the car my wife ordered came in -- it lasted less than 48 hours; sold to a dentist for his wife. Wam Bam thank you M'am.

Of course my wife is giddy over the SQ5 -- I mean the thing is very impressive, especially when you press the accelerator. She tells everyone about her cool new car and of course friends and co-workers check it out and some of them want Q5's for themselves. They go to the Audi Connection -- and, no inventory AGAIN, but "we'll do our best to locate one for you."

Rinse lather repeat -- perhaps Audi had no ability to forecast the demand for the SQ5 (let alone the Q5), because they come in, they get prepped, they go out no matter if they get in one or five -- head 'em up, move 'em out.

The sales manager says they could sell all they can get and then some -- he seems genuinely frustrated that he's got an "IT" car and no way to sell them (from stock).

We've always ordered our Audis (all 31 of them), so it seems somewhat odd that someone would walk in on a Saturday afternoon and expect to drive home in a car that easily tops $50,000. It seems folks don't discriminate -- they'll take whatever you got. Me? I wouldn't spend this kind of money if it was YOUR money and take delivery of a car "cause you have it on the lot at this time." What's the deal? At these prices, why not get the paint, interior and options YOU want, rather than what the dealer's buyer thought someone might like?

Beats the hell outta me.

I'm still willing to wager ON the sport differential being made available on the SQ5.

Often wrong. . .Never uncertain.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
. . .that Audi will offer the Sport Differential and I would see no reason that NOW they couldn't offer up the S-Tronic, too. The only reason the S-Tronic (at the time) wasn't offered was it had not yet reached the "durability" to withstand the uprated torque of the SQ5 V6.
Torque is not the reason, diesel 3.0TDI has a much larger and is made with S-tronic gearbox.
SQ 3.0TFSI 354 PS (260 kW, 349 HP) 470 Nm (346.65 ft·lbf)
Q5 3.0 TDI 258 PS (190 kW, 254 HP) 580 Nm (427.79 ft·lbf)

S-tronic transmission is only offered with a TDI engines: the 2.0 TDI (177PS), 3.0TDI (245PS, Torque: 580) and 3.0TDI clean diesel (258PS Torque: 580)
2011 years Audi has stopped producing model Q5 - gasoline-engine with S-tronic gearbox

All new Audi models come with an 8-speed Tiptronic
New models RS6 and RS7 have the same gearbox 8-speed Tiptronic

Last edited by spijun; 04-02-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the S vs the SQ level (base), the SQ5 seems to be such a bargain for the performance, however.
Right that was part of the logic with me deciding to go with the SQ5 over the Q5, it seemed like a bargain for the performance. For the added power, I assumed the S model would be $10-15k more, like other base model to S model comparisons. But as always it's not an apples to apples comparison, since in many cases the upgrade to S is an entirely different engine. So when I found out the equally equipped SQ5 was less than $4k more, I jumped at the opportunity.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default I read . . .

Originally Posted by spijun
Torque is not the reason, diesel 3.0TDI has a much larger and is made with S-tronic gearbox.
SQ 3.0TFSI 354 PS (260 kW, 349 HP) 470 Nm (346.65 ft·lbf)
Q5 3.0 TDI 258 PS (190 kW, 254 HP) 580 Nm (427.79 ft·lbf)

S-tronic transmission is only offered with a TDI engines: the 2.0 TDI (177PS), 3.0TDI (245PS, Torque: 580) and 3.0TDI clean diesel (258PS Torque: 580)
2011 years Audi has stopped producing model Q5 - gasoline-engine with S-tronic gearbox

All new Audi models come with an 8-speed Tiptronic
New models RS6 and RS7 have the same gearbox 8-speed Tiptronic
The article reviewing the RS7 in Car and Driver or Automobile mentioned the use of the S-Tronic in the S7 and said that transmission wasn't offered in the RS7 since the torque was too much for the then current version.

Are you saying, above, that all new Audis, regardless of performance intentions will be offered only with the 8-speed tip?

I have the '14 S4 with the S-Tronic and it is without doubt the best transmission I have ever had -- and since we also have a new SQ5 with the Tip, I can say, it too has the best TIPTRONIC I have ever had the pleasure to drive.

The S-Tronic in the S4 however is superior and I would think would be thus were it offered in other Audi models.

If the 8-speed tip is the new standard bearer, OK, this is just news to me.

?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The article reviewing the RS7 in Car and Driver or Automobile mentioned the use of the S-Tronic in the S7 and said that transmission wasn't offered in the RS7 since the torque was too much for the then current version.

Are you saying, above, that all new Audis, regardless of performance intentions will be offered only with the 8-speed tip?

I have the '14 S4 with the S-Tronic and it is without doubt the best transmission I have ever had -- and since we also have a new SQ5 with the Tip, I can say, it too has the best TIPTRONIC I have ever had the pleasure to drive.

The S-Tronic in the S4 however is superior and I would think would be thus were it offered in other Audi models.

If the 8-speed tip is the new standard bearer, OK, this is just news to me.

?
I agree with you S-tronic is excellent
I had before in A4 S-tronic and now in Q5

Due to the big problems with the S-tronic gearboxes (a problem with Mechatronic) is now pushing an 8-speed Tiptronic
Old 04-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course you can get a new Q5 2.0 AND a super clean used 911 for what it would cost for a Turbo Macan...

I'll take a sporty SUV and a real sports car anyday over an an uber SUV.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
I agree with you S-tronic is excellent
I had before in A4 S-tronic and now in Q5

Due to the big problems with the S-tronic gearboxes (a problem with Mechatronic) is now pushing an 8-speed Tiptronic
I love Dual Clutch transmish', but coming from a GTI that got a transplanted mechatronic (under warranty of course !), I'm happy to have a very good slushbox in the Q line-up. It fits the vehicule very well (crosover)

Quick Reply: Is is because it is a Porsche?