Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 10:32 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Best SQ5 lowering option to maintain "cush"

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best SQ5 lowering option to maintain "cush"

Hi all--

Just picked up a new 2015 SQ5 for my wife. We traded our '13 Q5 3.0T for it, and I was fearful that going to the SQ5 was going to be bad for her because she liked the more supple ride of our Q5. So far, though, she's had no complaints on the ride of the SQ5.

I want to lower it 1.2-1.5" to get rid of some of the stock arch gap, but have to walk a very fine line so that I don't compromise the ride quality, or else the car will go right back to stock if she doesn't like it.

Save me some time and recommend my best solution. I think the H&Rs drop looks perfect, and most posts here claim the ride "improved" but that's in our language, not hers. Tighter and sportier would be an improvement in our opinions, but she wouldn't like feeling more bumps, etc.

Thus I'm asking in this specific context for your suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2015, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested in doing the same as you, but wonder if tire selection would have as much to do with "cush" and selecting the Comfort drive mode.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kreativecid
I'd be interested in doing the same as you, but wonder if tire selection would have as much to do with "cush" and selecting the Comfort drive mode.
Tires do play a role, but less so assuming you plan to keep the diameter the same. A taller sidewall would help, but I think it looks less sporty to have the beefier tires.

And unfortunately, no adjustable suspension (comfort mode) on the SQ5, that's worked well for us in the S3 though. She drives it in comfort, I drive it in dynamic.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

To keep OEM ride quality, get the Euro-spec suspension. Drop would be almost 1.25".
Old 09-14-2015, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

. what you can do .

Bilstein Strut with H&R spring. 20in wheel.

that will take care of the problem. I find the OEM strut is over-damping.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

If it's her ride and she is happy with the way it is why change anything and risk her not liking it?
Old 09-14-2015, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NorthValley
If it's her ride and she is happy with the way it is why change anything and risk her not liking it?
Guess I should be more clear. She's the primary driver (since it's her commuter car), but I drive it on the weekend since it's also our family "minivan", and I want to take both our S cars to Audi meets, etc. She doesn't care what to do to it, as long as I'm not changing things she already likes.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Imola wagon
. what you can do .

Bilstein Strut with H&R spring. 20in wheel.

that will take care of the problem. I find the OEM strut is over-damping.
20" are definitly the way to go. 21" with stock suspension is more harsh than my setup.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackAce
Hi all--

Just picked up a new 2015 SQ5 for my wife. We traded our '13 Q5 3.0T for it, and I was fearful that going to the SQ5 was going to be bad for her because she liked the more supple ride of our Q5. So far, though, she's had no complaints on the ride of the SQ5.

I want to lower it 1.2-1.5" to get rid of some of the stock arch gap, but have to walk a very fine line so that I don't compromise the ride quality, or else the car will go right back to stock if she doesn't like it.

Save me some time and recommend my best solution. I think the H&Rs drop looks perfect, and most posts here claim the ride "improved" but that's in our language, not hers. Tighter and sportier would be an improvement in our opinions, but she wouldn't like feeling more bumps, etc.

Thus I'm asking in this specific context for your suggestions.

Thanks!
I've struggled with this exact question and, to date, haven't pulled the trigger. The H&R HAS option seems like it has the moderate drop vs the KW options, but I saw a post (maybe two) where someone's ride quality bottomed out after a period.

What I want is APR Stage 2 + 1.5" of drop, and the AWE Exhaust. What I've stuck with so far is some spacers and an AK.

I also wonder if I just just go up to 22s and solve it in that direction. Interested to hear what you find works on your end.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by big residual
I've struggled with this exact question and, to date, haven't pulled the trigger. The H&R HAS option seems like it has the moderate drop vs the KW options, but I saw a post (maybe two) where someone's ride quality bottomed out after a period.

What I want is APR Stage 2 + 1.5" of drop, and the AWE Exhaust. What I've stuck with so far is some spacers and an AK.

I also wonder if I just just go up to 22s and solve it in that direction. Interested to hear what you find works on your end.
From what we're hearing here and on AZ, I think we'll probably try the ZW HAS first. Seems to be the best compromise between ride quality and cost. Plus gives flexibility of choosing an exact height that works well. We're dropping her down to 20s as well, not that I think that will make a huge difference in ride, but there are wheels we like for it that are only in that size.