Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Block Heater Q5

Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Oh for the good old days of my beetle with auxiliary gas furnace.That was the primary source of heat after two years because the main heat from the engine was routed through the rocker panels to get up front and those rotted out after a couple of Quebec winters.
By the way let me shed a little light on the block heater that we all knew and loved in the distant past.In my garage we stopped installing block heaters in the mid 2000's.Keep in mind i'm talking about a place where -30 to -40 is not uncommon.,relax you don't have to convert, -40 is = C & F. These heaters have a net negative impact on modern FI engines with good lubricants.Pre-heating the oil or coolant tricks the ECU into thinking it's in Palm Beach.It fuels incorrectly for the ambient temps and in some cars can make starting difficult.Modern oils - (even non synth.) are so much better these days that as long as you have the right viscosity, the best way to treat your engine is follow the manufacturer's suggestions for cold starting and drive off without putting too much demand on the drivetrain until it's fluids are getting up to normal temp.
My evil diesel fires up in seconds at those temps - no supplemental heat, and anybody who's been around a while knows how remarkable an accomplishment that is.
Great info. I fully second this.

Even at really cold temperatures the Q5 TDi has never complained once when I fire her up. However when we are talking about starting the car we are assuming we have gotten INTO the car......

....I love my auxiliary diesel heater because it helps me get into the car. It helps with frozen doors, windows and windscreen wipers. See picture below, left car no parking heater, right car parking heater

Last edited by daniel_se; 02-22-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd rather a "parking heater" instead of remote start.
Is it possible to get them in North America?
Old 12-20-2016, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

daniel_se
You've made me jealous ! All that's missing in that pic. is a palm tree sprouting under your Q.Just curious, this supplemental heater that Audi reserves for it's more deserving European customers, is it installed in the engine compartment ? What is it's means of operation ?
My Q certainly doesn't look anything like yours.1" of ice from freezing rain and it's averaging -15 daytime around here.Like I said I'm jealous.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
daniel_se
You've made me jealous ! All that's missing in that pic. is a palm tree sprouting under your Q.Just curious, this supplemental heater that Audi reserves for it's more deserving European customers, is it installed in the engine compartment ? What is it's means of operation ?
My Q certainly doesn't look anything like yours.1" of ice from freezing rain and it's averaging -15 daytime around here.Like I said I'm jealous.
It is a "Standheizung Heizung Eberspächer". It is installed in the engine compartment behind the right headlight somewhere, it is quite chunky. And expensive....think it is like $5,000 for a retrofit here.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

[QUOTE=daniel_se;24897156]It is a "Standheizung Heizung Eberspächer". It is installed in the engine compartment behind the right headlight somewhere, it is quite chunky. And expensive....think it is like $5,000 for a retrofit here.

daniel_se
Thanks for the info. So essentially it looks like they install a small nuclear reactor under the hood. LOL.
Guess I'll spend my money on good winter clothing and quality scotch.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

[QUOTE=MurrayA4;24897175]
Originally Posted by daniel_se
It is a "Standheizung Heizung Eberspächer". It is installed in the engine compartment behind the right headlight somewhere, it is quite chunky. And expensive....think it is like $5,000 for a retrofit here.

daniel_se
Thanks for the info. So essentially it looks like they install a small nuclear reactor under the hood. LOL.
Guess I'll spend my money on good winter clothing and quality scotch.
Sounds like the right thing to do. But the scotch don't come with a 1,000 meter remote now does it?
Old 12-21-2016, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Eberspächer" Same brand is very popular in the (higher end of the) recreational boating market. Outstanding equipment but as noted--they're pricey. And apparently prone to the crucial component failing if they are not allowed to heat up and cool down properly, you don't just turn them on and off like a light. Could be the high price reflects some special equipment to do that in the cars.