Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brake Pads Warning Light

Old 10-09-2011, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Pads Warning Light

Need help or advise from fellow forum members:
I had my 40000km (25k miles) service done 2 weeks ago. Brake pads reported to be 5mm front & 7mm rear, remaining. Service adviser said the front should be good for another 3000 to 4000km. I placed an online order last week for Centric Posi-Quiet and Power-Slotted Rotors last week, but won't be here till another 7 to 10 days (customs clearance, etc). Brake pads warning light came on last night, barely 1000 km after that service report. I need to travel over the Rockies on Wed for a business trip to Alberta(>2500km to & fro).
Questions:
- When that pad worn light shows, APPROX how far can one continue driving safely before pads replacement? (I know depending on one's driving and terrain), but how much 'meat' are normally left on OEM pads, upon light on?
- Could it be a false warning, as I'm not expecting this to occur till maybe another 2000 to 3000 km from 5mm thickness, unless it was not measured right at service 2 weeks ago.
- Understanding my dilemma - must drive situation + new pads and rotors on it way in; am I crazy to want to take the risk and make this trip first then fix it when I'm back in town.

Thanks one and all.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Only the front brakes have low pad warnings, Unless our Q5's are different than the past. I would just put only auto parts pads on the fronts before your long trip just to be safe. No VCDS needed for that only to install the rears later. Only around town would be no big deal because you are damaging rotors you are tossing anyway, but a long trip with hills could get more exciting than you need. On my previous Audi's when the light shows you are now on metal.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The light is usually illuminated at 3mm of pad life. They probably measured the outer pad, where the inner is usually worn first. Id say youre ok for a week or two. Honestly, some people have gone 3-4k on the light, they did alot of highway mileage. Its not a good thing, but its not like youre metal on metal.Dont go hard on the brakes, try not to really heat them up. Since the materials gone they heat up alot quicker, they also have a lower ability to release the heat. If you hear grinding, get them done immediatley
Old 10-09-2011, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Only the front brakes have low pad warnings, Unless our Q5's are different than the past. I would just put only auto parts pads on the fronts before your long trip just to be safe.
Yes, only the front have low pads sensors. I did thought about getting aftermarket auto parts pads for the front just to make the trip, but not too sure if anyone carries these to fit our Q5. Will make a few calls on Tues, coz this is our Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend.

Originally Posted by Audi0s
The light is usually illuminated at 3mm of pad life. They probably measured the outer pad, where the inner is usually worn first. Id say youre ok for a week or two. Honestly, some people have gone 3-4k on the light, they did alot of highway mileage.
I think you're right - they must have measured only the pads. But if anyone else on the forum can concur that they've gone at least 3k on the light, before replacement, I'd feel better taking it out on the trip first and then getting it done once I'm back. I can ask the dealer, but I'm sure we all know what their answer will be!

Thanks to you both. I hope to read more responses from you and others before the trip.

Last edited by ben_aip; 10-09-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=ben_aip;24208789]Yes, only the front have low pads sensors. I did thought about getting aftermarket auto parts pads for the front just to make the trip, but not too sure if anyone carries these to fit our Q5. Will make a few calls on Tues, coz this is our Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving! About getting aftermarket pads, I wouldn't even bother. I got Hawk Performance Ceramics made specifically for the Q5, and so far haven't really enjoyed them (squeak when cold, still a good amt of dust compared to stock except the dust is brown not black).
Old 10-10-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
Happy Thanksgiving! About getting aftermarket pads, I wouldn't even bother. I got Hawk Performance Ceramics made specifically for the Q5, and so far haven't really enjoyed them (squeak when cold, still a good amt of dust compared to stock except the dust is brown not black).
Hi Birdman.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to you too.
I have Centric Posi-Quiet & Power-slot Rotors on order from Autoanything.com. From fellow forum members who had swapped to these products, it seems they are very pleased with them, esp achieving a good balance on ultra low dust, noise and 'bite' effectiveness. Local dealers here don't yet know of Centric products, but had warned me against using Hawk Ceramics in particular on Audis, as most ended up swapping back out for OEMs...but that's what most dealers will tell you, on anything other than...
Old 10-11-2011, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Going over the Rockies? Don't risk it, as others have mentioned, just grab some pads from the auto store. Peace of mind...