Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 12:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Brand new Q5 -- Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by russ0054
Sorry, but you better get used to the crappy downshifting. I have complained about it since day one and haven't had any luck getting it fixed. The dealer has updated the programming (37G1 TSB) in the trans twice and it is worse if anything.

If anyone tells you the trans issue is isolated - they're not telling the truth. My service advisor told me the trans problem is driving them nuts and there are lots of complaints on this forum.

The Q5 is my first (and last) Audi.
Absolutely true. I started noticing it in the first thousand miles and it has never stopped even with an update. Get used to it. The dealer said it was normal for the vehicle. Translation we can't fix the problem. I have owned at least 12 vehicles and have never experienced this before.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got the call a few minutes ago... recalibration failed, my dealer is authorized to replace the entire transmission on my brand new Q5. :-(

Can any of you recommend a course of action here? I feel like at a minimum they ought to extend my powertrain warranty, but at this point can't say I feel like it's unreasonable that they swap me an identical '13... am I being unreasonable here? I've put 1800 miles on it, and they've had it for 2 of the 7 weeks I've owned it.

Thanks.

AUDIIOS
Old 09-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AUDIIOS
Just got the call a few minutes ago... recalibration failed, my dealer is authorized to replace the entire transmission on my brand new Q5. :-(

Can any of you recommend a course of action here? I feel like at a minimum they ought to extend my powertrain warranty, but at this point can't say I feel like it's unreasonable that they swap me an identical '13... am I being unreasonable here? I've put 1800 miles on it, and they've had it for 2 of the 7 weeks I've owned it.

Thanks.

AUDIIOS
It's not about "reasonable" or "unreasonable;" it's what your warranty provides, and your state Lemon Law says.

I don't see anything wrong with replacing the transmission. I'm not saying I would be happy if it happened to me, but I also would want some basis to demand a new car. You can always try, but I don't understand why it would be "unreasonable" for them to refuse. IMO, the "I paid $XXX for this car and it should be perfect" argument is not compelling to me. Price of the vehicle has nothing to do with this issue. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, are paying the same wages as anyone else, so there's no correlation between cost and initial quality. If there was, Subaru would be much lower.

My $0.02.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Actually, if yours is like ours, it is normal and GOOD

Even my larger vehicle does the firm downshifts when needed and I like the added engine/tranny braking when trying to bring down the pictured combo!

Have you had the tranny tsb software update and relearn ? That helped us a lot !

Also, sometimes a dealer 'discussion' or change helps a lot too
Worked for me! They reset my "TCM" and problem was solved.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does reset TCM mean?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Any progress?

Make any progress on this issue?

I'm taking my wife's '12 Q5 2.0T P+ in on Friday for the same type of problem.

Normal stopping is okay, a bit rough gearing down but I'm okay with that. The scary part is coming to a stop from faster speeds, without a lot of coasting/slow braking. Coming to a light off an off ramp for instance or on a faster blvd, if I'm the first car to the line and stop accordingly rather than slowing more gradually with a traffic flow, it gives a big surge/push right before it stops. At first thought it was the brakes releasing for a millisecond, and reengaging but the more it did it the more I realized it was the transmission not gearing down properly somehow. The car has 14,000 kms on it, so about 9,000 miles, and it only started doing this about a month ago, up til then everything was great.

The only thing I can think of that happened about that time was a quick (panic) stop when I had to hit the brakes after a 'vette pulled in between me and the car ahead of me and proceeded to slam on his brakes, forcing me to do the same. Might be a coincidence, but I've been trying to figure out what happened about the time this problem started to occur. Sure hope they can figure it out and fix it.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Q5 is back in my possession, appears to be running as you would expect a car with 2800 miles to run. Audi of America has delayed a decision twice now, until tomorrow, when they have promised to call me back (to their credit, they have for the most part kept their promise of calling, although I'm at nearly two weeks without a decision). I'm assuming the longer they string me along, the more likely they are to meet my request, but who really knows.

To me, and for my situation, my demand of a replacement vehicle stems from two facts:

1. The dealership was unable to diagnose the issue, opting to replace the entire transmission. Also, no warning was issued by the vehicle.
2. Vehicle has already been out of my possession 25 days. AZ law is 30 before compensation is required.

We'll see what they say.

AUDIIOS
Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wife's car was in all day on Friday. Wasn't impressed with the service at my dealership but unfortunately they're the only game in town, nearest other option is 3 hours away. Dropped it off at 8:15, no phone call saying it was ready so I called them after picking my wife up at work at 3:45 to say we were on our way, be there in 15 minutes. Oh, it should be ready by 5:00!! Not that I like the idea of sitting and waiting for my car to be fixed, it appears that's the only way they'll actually get the repair done when you drop it off, otherwise they know they have all day and just get to it when they get to it, appointment or not. Guess next time I say I'll be back at 11:00, I'd rather lie to them than be lied to.

Anyways, service rant aside. The problem seems to be fixed. We did quite a bit of driving over the week-end and no issues with surging at all. I was going to take the service tech for a test drive on Friday morning to help replicate the problem but the service manager said "2.0T 8-speed?, yep, I know what the problem is", didn't even need to test drive it. They must be seeing this or have read up on it recently.

Service order says they performed a stand still adaptation of the clutches. Although it doesn't say it, I gather that's a TCM adaptation as has been mentioned here before, just different lingo.

Seems fine, for now. We'll see if it stays that way or tries to "learn" our driving styles again without success.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It appears I will continue to be a loyal and satisfied Audi customer. Just heard today that they have offered to replace my 2012 with a 2013, although no one bothered to tell me or explain the process; Audi of America called to tell me someone from the dealer had already tried to contact me. Which they had, but they must have been told I already knew, because the message was cryptic and I honestly assumed it was a mistake I had received it. Nonetheless, I'll be ordering my '13 in the next few days.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ANOTHER update... after promising me there would be no issue to get me the Cuvee Silver/Grey 2.0T that I had agreed to... well, there was an issue. So apparently tonight I will be ordering my 2013 from the factory. I'm told they can fast-track it, we'll see. More updates as warranted.

AUDIIOS

Quick Reply: Brand new Q5 -- Transmission Problem?