Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Buying a new Q5

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idale,

Thank you for breaking it down. I guess I will have to test drive both and see. Seems like they are pretty comparable to my current car as stands. The other two compact SUV's i was looking at were the BMW x3 and the Mercedes GLK350. The GLK350 didnt really do it for me in terms of acceleration and speed. The x3 was a little more comparable but still a slight downgrade.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by boscoh
. I didn't particularly care about the backup cameras because it's a small SUV with almost no blind spots. But bluetooth audio streaming would have been really nice.
Almost no blind spots may be correct. But the ones it has are HUGE. the B pillar is a blinder you must quickly learn to account for!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

All I can say is drive the 3.0T and 2.0T. Night and day difference in the whole "experience" IMO. But you need to be the judge because what is a serious positive to some may be irrelevant to you and vice versa.

That being said, the 3.0T has been selected to Ward's Top 10 engine list for 5 years running which is damn near impossible, and it's still their benchmark for an excellent, well sorted out, does everything well powertrain. With the 8spd auto, it is simply the most satisfying combo I have come across for everyday use...and I have driven literally hundreds of different cars. Having had a father in "the business" growing up has certain perks

I'm obviously a fan, but I cannot stress enough -- the fact that you are asking the question means it is important to you and you need to physically compare for yourself. You may as well throw a TDI in the test drive mix as well!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Titanium peelers are not available in the MY15. For the 3.0 You can choose from the 10 inch 5 arm design (see 2014 sq5) or titanium 5 Vs poke design (IMO blah).

If you lease you should get a 2015 because at this point residuals will be better since 2015's are hitting the market in 2 months
Old 05-29-2014, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks rudymon, BlackSVT, and jaybar.

I have test drives scheduled for this weekend to see how the 2.0T vs 3.0T will fit for me.

Jaybar, I was informed today by the audi sales rep that I have been dealing with that Titanium peelers will be available due to high volume of requests and he stated that the order form just has not yet been updated to reflect that change.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you are looking at 2.0 v 3.0 premium plus seems like it would be wise to also consider the TDI. I wouldn't buy an entire package just for the wheels with tons of aftermarket available. I'm also in the navigation is NOT worth it group...but I do wish I had a backup camera and am looking at aftermarket solutions. The best place for MF and Residuals is edmunds.com model specific lease forums, in my experience.

Last edited by sdiver68; 05-29-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I second the TDI. I started at Hybrid, drove the 2.0T then the 3.0 and finally the TDI. The torque is unbelievable!!! Combined with incredible gas mileage that is conservatively listed this was a tough combo to beat.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AKWolfe
Thanks rudymon, BlackSVT, and jaybar.

I have test drives scheduled for this weekend to see how the 2.0T vs 3.0T will fit for me.

Jaybar, I was informed today by the audi sales rep that I have been dealing with that Titanium peelers will be available due to high volume of requests and he stated that the order form just has not yet been updated to reflect that change.
Thanks for the information- I did not know that the peelers would be available on MY15. I ordered mine with the rim on the left. I've always wanted the peelers so maybe i'll reconsider
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jaybar
Thanks for the information- I did not know that the peelers would be available on MY15. I ordered mine with the rim on the left. I've always wanted the peelers so maybe i'll reconsider
where did you get the wheel pics from?

I'm trying to find into on the my15 but every dealer I have dealt with can't give me enough info

I drove the 2.0T and felt normal driving was adequate and smooth, but braking felts under powered.

drove the 3.0T and appreciated the extra power, it felt like the car didn't have to work as hard, and really. priced the improved braking (brakes are bigger and ventilated on the 3.0T)

didn't drive the TDI
Old 06-30-2014, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zeebow
where did you get the wheel pics from?

I'm trying to find into on the my15 but every dealer I have dealt with can't give me enough info

I drove the 2.0T and felt normal driving was adequate and smooth, but braking felts under powered.

drove the 3.0T and appreciated the extra power, it felt like the car didn't have to work as hard, and really. priced the improved braking (brakes are bigger and ventilated on the 3.0T)

didn't drive the TDI

Attached. Good luck. Use this forum for guidance on what engine to buy but make sure the final decision is something you can live with and won't second guess. Can you get by with the 2.0? Do you need the extra power of the 3.0 and the extra bells and whistles? Do you drive enough to justify the extra spend on the TDI and do you need the low end torque.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MY2015 q5 PIB.pdf (2.12 MB, 191 views)

Quick Reply: Buying a new Q5