Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Canadian Q5 - traveling to USA - questions...

Old 03-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
No need. All Canadian insurance covers the US, and if you look at your insurance card I think US insurance provides coverage in Canada.
Correct for car insurance. You might want temporary travel health insurance though, because Canadians can't get ObamaCare You can also get it from CAA and most banks, and you might already have it as part of your credit card or employment. Provincial health insurance will reimburse only a very limited amount for out-of-country emergencies.

For the zip code on gas pumps, the trick is apparently take the three numbers that are in the postal code of the credit card billing address in the order that they appear, and then add two zeros onto the end in order to bypass the US zip code. So if your postal code is V8S 3Y1, you would enter: 83100 for the zip code
Dunno if it works in all cases!

Last edited by moose_head; 03-03-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by moose_head
Correct for car insurance. You might want temporary travel health insurance though, because Canadians can't get ObamaCare You can also get it from CAA and most banks, and you might already have it as part of your credit card or employment. Provincial health insurance will reimburse only a very limited amount for out-of-country emergencies.

For the zip code on gas pumps, the trick is apparently take the three numbers that are in the postal code of the credit card billing address in the order that they appear, and then add two zeros onto the end in order to bypass the US zip code. So if your postal code is V8S 3Y1, you would enter: 83100 for the zip code
Dunno if it works in all cases!
Good to know. I always get foiled by the zip code thing. Chip cards with pins is the way to go..
Old 03-05-2014, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Chip cards with pins is the way to go.. "
Then you won't be going to America. Our card companies prefer to make cheaper cards, and charge us all higher interest rates or other fees to compensate for the fraud and theft costs from using the less secure cards.

RE Metric: Oh sure, Canada's gone metric, but I've seen Canadian carpenters still using inches and fractions for lumber. They don't buy plywood or two-by-fours by the meter. Metric, just another passing fad.(G)
Old 03-06-2014, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, and can you bring us all some Timmy's on the way down?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
Hi everyone,

I've got the 2014 Q5 TDI and will be doing my first roadtrip into the US. Have a few questions:
- The nav and maps will fully work in the USA, correct?
- How can I switch the digital display from km/h to mph?
- Anything else I should know for the inter-country travel?
Just remember to drive like everyone is out to get you. Because they are.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

And don't roam with your smart phone. There are cheaper/better options.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Redd
"Chip cards with pins is the way to go.. "
Then you won't be going to America. Our card companies prefer to make cheaper cards, and charge us all higher interest rates or other fees to compensate for the fraud and theft costs from using the less secure cards.

RE Metric: Oh sure, Canada's gone metric, but I've seen Canadian carpenters still using inches and fractions for lumber. They don't buy plywood or two-by-fours by the meter. Metric, just another passing fad.(G)
Yes but what about your tires in USA 235/60R18 = the width is 235 milimeters no ?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

In the US, we have perfected the art of FUD. As in "Elmer Fud" the Looney Tunes character.

FUD stands for Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. It is a very popular marketing and sales tool. By using lots of numbers, some little, some big, the tire sellers create lots of uncertainty and doubt in the tire buyers. Who are also afraid to admit they are ignorant about the numbers. The result? It is easier to sell tires without questions being asked.

On the other hand, carpenters often really need to know "How long should this be?" even if many of them also prefer to measure once and cut twice [sic].

Tires? Yeah, round, black, sometimes with a white thing on the side. Metric numbers on tires? That's like asking what color is Schrodinger's Cat. First, you'd have to convince someone to open the box, and that would spoil all the fun.

Aside from the enthusiasts, folks in the US order tires by saying "I need new tires for a [insert model]" usually followed by "Do you have anything cheaper?"
Old 03-23-2014, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CyberAudiQ
Yes but what about your tires in USA 235/60R18 = the width is 235 milimeters no ?
It's 9 1/4".
Old 03-23-2014, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberAudiQ
Originally Posted by Xenonista
It's 9 1/4".
and wrapped around an 18 inch wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Canadian Q5 - traveling to USA - questions...