Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wash?

Just out of curiosity.. How often do you wash your car? Just trying to keep it in excellent condition. Recommendations?

Obviously hand wash, but how often do you guys go? Mine is about a week in and pretty nasty from the bits of rain over here in Chicago!
Old 04-05-2016, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Generally even 7 days unless not needed (most unlikely).
Old 04-05-2016, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Once a week. It's hard keeping up with the dust here in AZ!!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

once a week....even in the winter! ran a hose into my garage from the house.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ended up stopping by a hand car wash and told them to use my microfibers to dry.. Go figure they didn't. Now some minor scratches and micro scratches everywhere! Then they tried to blame how this wasn't their fault. Car is a week and a half old. Looks like it'll need a good wax smh. Terrible mistake on my part.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peaster3
Ended up stopping by a hand car wash and told them to use my microfibers to dry.. Go figure they didn't. Now some minor scratches and micro scratches everywhere! Then they tried to blame how this wasn't their fault. Car is a week and a half old. Looks like it'll need a good wax smh. Terrible mistake on my part.
Sorry to hear that. I was just about to post that the frequency isn't as important as the process when you do get it washed. My car sometimes goes months at a time between washes simply because I don't have a driveway and I've only found one hand car wash that uses clean microfiber towels.

If you aren't someone who is going to spend a lot of time cleaning the car yourself, you may want to look into a ceramic coating like Opti-Coat or CQuartz. I had CQuartz applied a week after getting the car, and I haven't had to worry about waxing and the finish still looks incredible. I occasionally do a no-rinse wash myself when I have time, but otherwise it's survived some not-so-great hand car washes relatively unscathed.
The following users liked this post:
321cya (09-02-2022)
Old 04-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by riceboy22
Sorry to hear that. I was just about to post that the frequency isn't as important as the process when you do get it washed. My car sometimes goes months at a time between washes simply because I don't have a driveway and I've only found one hand car wash that uses clean microfiber towels.

If you aren't someone who is going to spend a lot of time cleaning the car yourself, you may want to look into a ceramic coating like Opti-Coat or CQuartz. I had CQuartz applied a week after getting the car, and I haven't had to worry about waxing and the finish still looks incredible. I occasionally do a no-rinse wash myself when I have time, but otherwise it's survived some not-so-great hand car washes relatively unscathed.
Ugh, yeah. First scratches/micro scratches are the worse on any car. Really hits the spot. I'll look into that.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In case anyone was curious how bad of a job they did. Please, do all of your own cleaning!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that is bad. Never seen that before. Their drying rags must have had rocks in it!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peaster3

In case anyone was curious how bad of a job they did. Please, do all of your own cleaning!
Not all microfiber cloths are created equal, either. Many have nylon threads binding the borders. Nylon scratches the finish. The 3 pack for 5 dollars kind you can buy at the auto parts store. You get what you pay for. Inspect before you buy, and buy the best you can find....they last for years.
If my finish looked like that, I'd take it to a reputable body shop and have them "cut and buff" the clear coat. Then get it home and put THREE coats of Meguire's Ultimate Paste Wax down. Wash those microfiber cloths after every use.

Quick Reply: Car wash?