Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 08:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Cargo area fuse box location?

Old 08-07-2015, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cargo area fuse box location?

Manual indicates there is a third fuse box/panel somewhere in the cargo area, but doesn't really show where. Can someone please point me to its location?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure which one is the third fuse box/panel. Can you provide some more information on what exactly your looking for?

However, maybe this will help.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks. Found it. It's behind the panel that houses the little net pocket and the 12V socket on the right side of the cargo area.

Now a follow-up question: what's the trick to removing that blue/purple cover from the top of the fuses?

Name:  DSC_9818.jpg
Views: 17927
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  DSC_9820.jpg
Views: 20205
Size:  101.4 KB
Old 08-07-2015, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't remember off the top of my head...might have to wait for someone else to chime in on that one.

Just curious...what are you working on?

V/r
Dan
Old 08-07-2015, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by DanMontgomery
Just curious...what are you working on?
My 12v sockets stopped working. First thing I wanted to check is if I did not blow a fuse.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

You can test the fuses without removing them. Bussman, Littelfuse, others should sell little yellow "box" with two probes on the end. The are preset to poke right into the two little holes that you will see on the top of every ATO/ATC/ATM fuse, on either side of the fuse number, i.e. "o 15 o" and if there is 12 volts on both sides of the fuse--on both of those contacts in the holes--the fuse is good.
That's a clever design feature.

A complete fuse testing & replacement kit, including the yellow gizmo:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

You can also, btw, replace the fuses with more clever ones that have a little red LED built in. The LED only lights up after the fuse blows, making it REAL easy to spot.

But removing the pink things is a matter of squeezing one of the ends "in" and then it will pop off, allowing the other end to pop off. Somehow, only Audi needs fuse retainers, the rest of the world simply acquires fuses that are more well behaved?

Be aware, Audi mixes the "normal" ATO/ATC fuses (same fuse except one is OPEN to the air, the other is CLOSED to the air beneath it) and the ATM (Mini type2) fuses. You may see two different strips with two different size fuses in them, making it a nuisance to carry spares, twice.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks. I finally got it done yesterday. Replaced the blown 20A ATC fuse and all is well now.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

One fuse did just the lighter? Just the one lighter?
Old 08-09-2015, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Not sure I understand your question. There is one 20A fuse responsible for all the 12V sockets in the car. I blew the fuse because I connected a tire compressor with a ****ty plug that was not making a good connection and was sparking.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"There is one 20A fuse responsible for all the 12V sockets"
That was half the question. Having three typically 10A sockets on one 20A fuse is just, ah, stupid. Let me translate that in case Audi comes here: Dumbkopf!
The other part of the question is, since I don't recall seeing any single fuse marked "Lighter sockets" whether it was just tacked on with other loads, i.e. vanity mirrors or glove box lights or some other piddling things. Usually the lighter(s) are tacked on with other things, the dashboard clock [sic] or other minor loads.

Of course, Audi's ideas about "let's use one fuse for everything that is installed in one door!" are also, um, unique.

I've been waiting three weeks for them to tell me if there's ONE FUSE that I can pull to disable the keyless entry, and just the keyless entry, until the security issues are resolved with that. Apparently...they don't want to admit there's a problem, and the key sensor in each door is powered by a separate fuse, according to the DOOR it is in? (Saw another Nooze video this week, police think they have video of someone using a booster box to spoof remotes and enter EIGHT different cars and clean them out.)

My bootleg Latvian fuse line clips are probably on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic by now. Once they arrive, I'll have some properly fused, properly wired, independent power sources wired into the car. In ways that "God and Henry Ford" would have recognized and approved of.(VBG)

Maybe I'll segregate that one in the rear quarter, at the same time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cargo area fuse box location?