Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Chestnut brown interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chestnut brown interior

The Audi website shows chestnut brown interior to be slightly darker, but seeing it in pics online, it seems "lighter" and doesn't contrast well with the black surroundings. How do audi owners with chestnut interior feel about it?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoelocal
The Audi website shows chestnut brown interior to be slightly darker, but seeing it in pics online, it seems "lighter" and doesn't contrast well with the black surroundings. How do audi owners with chestnut interior feel about it?
It's lighter in person, I have chestnut with layered oak trim and I wouldn't have ordered any other way. I love the interior and it gets a lot of compliments!
Old 09-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! Loved the Q5 after test driving. Factory ordered Q5 with lava grey, chestnut interior and fine grained ash. We looked at a few cars in the dealers lot before putting in this order. I think chestnut interior and fine grained ash go well together, felt like chestnut will give a sporty modern look. But i am having second thoughts about chestnut interior overall as it didn't seem to contrast well with it's mostly black surroundings. I have couple of weeks to rethink.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2015 Q5 with Chestnut Brown interior with the marble inlay. I think it was right for me. Would do it again. Just go with what you want. None of the interiors are bad. Good luck in being comfortable with your decision.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, oak inlay. Not marble.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks! Loved the Q5 after test driving. Factory ordered Q5 with lava grey, chestnut interior and fine grained ash. We looked at a few cars in the dealers lot before putting in this order. I think chestnut interior and fine grained ash go well together, felt like chestnut will give a sporty modern look. But i am having second thoughts about chestnut interior overall as it didn't seem to contrast well with it's mostly black surroundings. I have couple of weeks to rethink.
For me, I think the brown blends really well with the black, especially with the ash inlays. It's still a "darker" tone, but gives some contrast to the rest of the black, without "popping" too much. Makes for a nice cozy interior without being "coal bin". I would think you'd lose any doubts fairly quickly, but we've all got different tastes and who knows. If you haven't already, try and sit in other interior colors and see what you think about those. Even if you aren't 100% sold on the Chestnut, you still might feel best about it compared to black, grey or beige (or you might find one of the others speaks to you the most).
Old 09-02-2015, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by idale
For me, I think the brown blends really well with the black, especially with the ash inlays. It's still a "darker" tone, but gives some contrast to the rest of the black, without "popping" too much. Makes for a nice cozy interior without being "coal bin". I would think you'd lose any doubts fairly quickly, but we've all got different tastes and who knows. If you haven't already, try and sit in other interior colors and see what you think about those. Even if you aren't 100% sold on the Chestnut, you still might feel best about it compared to black, grey or beige (or you might find one of the others speaks to you the most).
Thanks! Yes, we will make another trip to the dealer to check out a few more interiors on their lot. I have definitely ruled out grey (current car 's interior is grey), and beige is too light for my taste. It was definitely between black and chestnut. Was hoping chestnut to have "Darker" tones (if that makes sense).

Wife thinks i am making a big deal out of this, but I always wanted a brown interior ever since I *almost* bought a BMW with "Saddle Brown" seats.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks! Yes, we will make another trip to the dealer to check out a few more interiors on their lot. I have definitely ruled out grey (current car 's interior is grey), and beige is too light for my taste. It was definitely between black and chestnut. Was hoping chestnut to have "Darker" tones (if that makes sense).

Wife thinks i am making a big deal out of this, but I always wanted a brown interior ever since I *almost* bought a BMW with "Saddle Brown" seats.
Personally I describe the Chestnut as a medium-dark brown, but lighting plays a big part in how it looks. Photos especially get hard, but at least you've seen it in person which is good. But with the black everywhere else in the car (especially headliner) and tinted windows/sunroof, it's relatively dark (for me).

Normally I'd be going black because I like darker interiors (and they're usually easier to keep looking clean), but the brown is a little different and also got me a free black headliner to darken up the top half of the interior, instead of black bottom half and grey top half (I would've needed to go S-Line to get black+black, and I didn't feel S-Line was worth it to me). The brown seats and door insets give just enough visual interest and break up the otherwise-all-black interior. But you could also look at it as being brown seats floating in a sea of blackness, though I think the ash inlays (being a similar sort of brown -- at least to my eyes) help to tie the black and brown together.

As far as I'm concerned, the interior color matters much more than the exterior, since you're sitting inside the car and don't see much of the outside while driving. So it's worth trying to make sure that you're happy with your decision. I'm sure either way you'll end up being happy, though.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got the chestnut/black combo. The brown looks much lighter in real life. Here's a pic that is really close to how it looks day to day out of direct sunlight.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the brown with black headliner and walnut wood inlays and love how it looks in person. Here is a pic
Attached Images  

Last edited by Romanzz; 09-03-2015 at 06:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Chestnut brown interior