Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

A Little bit of Fun!

Old 07-23-2014, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Little bit of Fun!

Was on an interchange ramp this evening, changing from one freeway to another. It was a big circular ramp and a late model Corvette... C6 vintage I believe, came roaring up on me and did not back off. Believe me, I am not a mopey driver, and the guy had no cause to do this...I think he was trying to impress his lady friend. So, I turned the radio down, turned off the A/C, shifted into manual I mode, slowed down a little, downshifted into third, looked in the mirror, and downshifted into secobd an floored it at the same time. The guy in the vette was still getting up to speed while I was a thousand feet in front of him. I could see him n the mirror and he was starting to catch up but by the time he would have been anywhere close, I was off at the next exit. I'm sure he's crying to his buddies tonight wondering WTF happened.
I've had this SQ5 for three months now, and I'm just now starting to feel at one with it. Maybe I'm a little crazy, but I do have a relationship with my cars and it takes time to learn it's strengths and weaknesses, and to know how to get the best out of it. Yes I know this is an SUV, but it lost any SUV characteristics to me during the first week ( except for the tendancy to roll over pretty hard under sudden turns)
I must say that THIS is where this vehicle really performs....Obviously this is not a drag racer...the weight to power ratio is too high and it's an SUV for cryin out loud, but if you're rolling and can keep the revs in that 2500 - 5000 rpm range, this is a very fast car.
Gotta say that, after having a Toyota Rav4 walk away from my 5.7 Hemi Jeep Cherokee in a similar fashion last year, this felt pretty good. No major speed involved, no other vehicles nearby, just some good old fashioned clean fun.

Last edited by USAVAGEU; 07-23-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

That sounds FUN !!! Did you do that in "Dynamic" mode?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Usually in my experience all the people who act like they're in a hurry (keep creeping at lights, tailgating, etc.) seem to be unable to actually speed up when the time comes. Oh sure, they'll eventually be doing 30 over on city streets, highway, whatever, but it'll take them forever to manage to finally do it (vs. me and getting up to the speed limit as quickly as feasible so traffic can flow smoothly).

Back when I had my Passat Wagon, I'd had people get all upset that I happened to pass them ("omg a wagon passed me!!! "), and not because I was tailing them and whipped around, but was just sitting in the left passing everyone or whatever, and they had to whip out from another lane just to go way over the limit and pass me when they were fine before.

(And no, the Q5 isn't an SUV, it's a CUV. So a big car instead of a truck. )
Old 07-24-2014, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Around town, I'm usually in Dynamic mode.

Originally Posted by philkkw
That sounds FUN !!! Did you do that in "Dynamic" mode?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Didn't know that there was a clear deliniation between SUV and CUV, but I have often wondered about the terms
The SQ5 is pretty "sporty" after all and it would be useful for skiing, biking, hiking or pretty much any outdoor sport, but if it's a CUV, so be it.....don't make much difference to me!

Originally Posted by idale
Usually in my experience all the people who act like they're in a hurry (keep creeping at lights, tailgating, etc.) seem to be unable to actually speed up when the time comes. Oh sure, they'll eventually be doing 30 over on city streets, highway, whatever, but it'll take them forever to manage to finally do it (vs. me and getting up to the speed limit as quickly as feasible so traffic can flow smoothly).

Back when I had my Passat Wagon, I'd had people get all upset that I happened to pass them ("omg a wagon passed me!!! "), and not because I was tailing them and whipped around, but was just sitting in the left passing everyone or whatever, and they had to whip out from another lane just to go way over the limit and pass me when they were fine before.

(And no, the Q5 isn't an SUV, it's a CUV. So a big car instead of a truck. )
Old 07-25-2014, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
Didn't know that there was a clear deliniation between SUV and CUV, but I have often wondered about the terms
The SQ5 is pretty "sporty" after all and it would be useful for skiing, biking, hiking or pretty much any outdoor sport, but if it's a CUV, so be it.....don't make much difference to me!
Technically an SUV is on a truck-based platform while a CUV is basically a "tall wagon" (though for CAFE purposes is a "light truck" -- but so was the PT Cruiser so that designation's meaningless). In the Q5's case it's a slightly taller A4 allroad, no real substantial platform differences.

But in general people say "SUV" for both, I just like being pedantic sometimes in asides.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the SQ5's case, a slightly taller S4 Allroad...you know...if they made them. (Avant?)