Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

"Puddle Lights"

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "Puddle Lights"

Does anyone have courtesy lamps on the bottom of their side-mirrors that don't work? My SQ5 has them and they worked the first week I had it. The only reason I even realized they were there is because I noticed the one on my driver's side. Then, I noticed that it didn't work, but the passenger side was still working. When I took it in to the dealership for the clear-bra, tint, and "second delivery," I told them about it. They "researched" the problem and told me that those lamps only work on the "MMI-high" package and couldn't get either one of them to come on. Apparently, the passenger side no longer works. WTF???

I ordered mine without navigation or other driver aids, so if I'm not worthy of puddle lights, I understand. But they were a nice surprise when they worked! Obviously, I feel like the dealership couldn't fix the driver-side, so they disabled the passenger-side and made up an excuse. My question for this post, is who gets to have working "puddle lights?" NAV vs. no-NAV? I guess they figure if I already know where I'm going, I'll know what I'm stepping into.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SQive
Does anyone have courtesy lamps on the bottom of their side-mirrors that don't work? My SQ5 has them and they worked the first week I had it. The only reason I even realized they were there is because I noticed the one on my driver's side. Then, I noticed that it didn't work, but the passenger side was still working. When I took it in to the dealership for the clear-bra, tint, and "second delivery," I told them about it. They "researched" the problem and told me that those lamps only work on the "MMI-high" package and couldn't get either one of them to come on. Apparently, the passenger side no longer works. WTF???

I ordered mine without navigation or other driver aids, so if I'm not worthy of puddle lights, I understand. But they were a nice surprise when they worked! Obviously, I feel like the dealership couldn't fix the driver-side, so they disabled the passenger-side and made up an excuse. My question for this post, is who gets to have working "puddle lights?" NAV vs. no-NAV? I guess they figure if I already know where I'm going, I'll know what I'm stepping into.
Well it would be strange for the dealership to just deny you them working if indeed they would function - there's no upside for the dealership to do that to you, so that would be really odd.

But perhaps the MMI-high really is required to control it - since it is an option in the MMI to have the lights come on or not, maybe they actually do require the MMI-high to function appropriately?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:42 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They only work if your headlight switch is on "auto" position.

Our SQ5 does not have NAV and the puddle lights work just fine as long as the headlight switch is on auto position.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TTG
They only work if your headlight switch is on "auto" position.

Our SQ5 does not have NAV and the puddle lights work just fine as long as the headlight switch is on auto position.

Hope this helps.
Indeed it does...thanks!
I'll bet my Audi "pros" didn't realize that the switch was off. I always leave it on auto, but it was off when I picked it up.

I hope more of you will chime in on this.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

This is a package of additional lighting, has nothing to do with NAV
There is also the possibility of upgrading the same:
http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Proje...rLighting.html

Last edited by spijun; 05-25-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
This is a package of additional lighting, has nothing to do with NAV
There is also the possibility of upgrading the same:
http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Proje...rLighting.html
Those are all interior lighting mods. I'm talking about the stock, exterior courtesy lamps located under the side mirrors. They only work at night when the headlight switch is set to auto. Do your mirrors have them?
Old 05-25-2014, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by SQive
Those are all interior lighting mods. I'm talking about the stock, exterior courtesy lamps located under the side mirrors. They only work at night when the headlight switch is set to auto. Do your mirrors have them?
Yes! I have it and I do not have NAV

Name:  ScreenShot528_zpsd22d6763.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  61.8 KB

Last edited by spijun; 05-25-2014 at 10:49 PM.