Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Dealer Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer Experience

I live in northern Calif in the boondocks. My nearest Audi dealers are a little over 2 hours away. I just purchased a 2016 Q5 TDI from southern California with Audi warranty until Sept of 2023. I need to pick a dealer as my service place. Good TDI capability, loaner cars if possible, and a good reputation for customer care is the criteria. With luck from the diesel-gate gods, I hope to have this vehicle for more than 10 years. My 3 choices are:
1) Niello Audi in Sacramento
2) Rocklin Audi in Rocklin (near Sacramento)
3) Audi Marin (Sonnen) in San Rafael (near San Francisco)

All are a little over a 2 hour drive for me, 100+ miles. Does anyone have any comments on any of these dealers? I am leaning towards Niello at this time.

Thks, Ed
Old 02-22-2017, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by edsea
I live in northern Calif in the boondocks. My nearest Audi dealers are a little over 2 hours away. I just purchased a 2016 Q5 TDI from southern California with Audi warranty until Sept of 2023. I need to pick a dealer as my service place. Good TDI capability, loaner cars if possible, and a good reputation for customer care is the criteria. With luck from the diesel-gate gods, I hope to have this vehicle for more than 10 years. My 3 choices are:
1) Niello Audi in Sacramento
2) Rocklin Audi in Rocklin (near Sacramento)
3) Audi Marin (Sonnen) in San Rafael (near San Francisco)

All are a little over a 2 hour drive for me, 100+ miles. Does anyone have any comments on any of these dealers? I am leaning towards Niello at this time.

Thks, Ed
Even as a lifetime, Northern Cal. guy had to look up your town. Got it.

No experience w/ any of three. You might try the regional boards--both here and QW. Both NorCal boards have some activity.

My instinct is all three probably are decent sized and have the usual stocking parts. Q5 is highest volume Audi sold, so any dealer sees many of them. You can just call and ask appt. person about loaner policy. I use Rector on SF Peninsula, so too far south. Any of the Bay Area ones probably meet your spec, and the Marin one is in that cluster. No reason the two Sacto area ones would be different.

My own experiences say a personal long term relationship with your service advisor is your best ticket to satisfaction--the person you work with at paperwork and coordinating level each time. Try asking on the regional boards (or, search for it) down to the level of preferred service advisors at the given choices. Failing all else, try one and if satisfied great. If not, try a different one next visit.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
You might try the regional boards--both here and QW. Both NorCal boards have some activity.
Thks, agree with your points, what do you mean by regional boards?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edsea
Thks, agree with your points, what do you mean by regional boards?
Subforums for a particular region, such as NorCal Discussion - AudiWorld Forums for here (other forums typically have something similar, and there may even be a forum out there aimed at NorCal Audi owners (we have at least one for Texas owners)). Since it's targeted at a particular region you'll likely have better luck with region-specific inquiries vs. the model boards.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
Subforums for a particular region, such as NorCal Discussion - AudiWorld Forums for here (other forums typically have something similar, and there may even be a forum out there aimed at NorCal Audi owners (we have at least one for Texas owners)). Since it's targeted at a particular region you'll likely have better luck with region-specific inquiries vs. the model boards.
+1. For NorCal specifically, besides AudiWorld, Quattroworld is the other regional one where there is reasonable periodic posting. Sometimes members overlap, other times not so much. When sub boards get cut too fine in terms of granularity, the tumbleweeds blow through--so there is a balance to be struck for both the sites and the members. Net, these couple at least work some for NorCal type specifics.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I live in SF East Bay, I can't speak from experience for the 3 you listed, but I can vouch that Audi Concord was excellent from Service perspective when I owned my A6 and S4 and loaner cars were available. Haven't needed to take in my SQ5 yet but will do so when time surfaces.