Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Did your 5 consolidate two vehicles? One fast play car + a truck, possibly?

Old 09-18-2015, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did your 5 consolidate two vehicles? One fast play car + a truck, possibly?

Hanging out with friend today and he posed a good question. Thought I'd post it since it's a slow day at work winding down. Maybe you were in a similar situation.

"Ah, I see you bought the SQ5," he said between bits of greasy pizza. "Why didn't you get that new Mustang GT V8 or other rear wheel drive fast car and also get a used Toyota 4wd truck? The Mustang was about $38,500 brand new and a used Toyota 4wd with no frills you could use in snow, hauling big loads, go off-road where shooting is far away and legal, etc would be around $6000 give or take. You'd be in both about $12,000 less than the SQ5."

Hmmmm, never thought of that. No need to buy extra wheels and tires to replace the SQ5's 21" summer, two vehicles for specific uses, one could be a beater. To which I said...

"Because knowing how I am that older Toyota is NOT going to be used on dates or going out downtown even though it's what you should drive for door dings, etc. And I rarely haul big loads, I work from home, I don't haul a dirt bike, I don't go driving on dirt roads for hours to a camp site and my brother has many trucks to borrow those few times a year. A 4wd older Toyota would be super practical but painfully slow. I don't do slow even in vehicles that aren't supposed to be fast. And when it snowed or got nasty that Mustang is parked and I'm driving the older but nice Toyota for weeks or months on end which probably says more about my ego or insecurity vs practicality." I admitted having an old 4wd for nasty snow slush and mud is a great idea.

"That Ford GT would be my 'nice car' but it's so limited. Only good weather and it's a stereotypical musclecar. People see it and people want to race. Which is fine. Then I have two cars in my garage with two insurance rates and associated costs."

Sidenote: I see from many signatures you own a 5 variant and a nice fast Golf R or BMW or other newer luxury ride.

What do you think? Did your Q5/TDI/SQ5 consolidate your car fetish or needs?

Or was it an add-on to the many nice vehicles you already own?

For those on a limited budget, and I know there are some here that aren't, would you have gone the way of a fun weekend toy whether a Mustang GT V8 or used Dodge Hemi or motorcycle, for example, and then, say, an older used SUV or truck? Or some combo thereof.

I will state this: there is no other car I'd buy today other than my tricked out Audi SQ5. Almost as awesome as the loaded Macan S but $12,000 less and more practical for my needs. My budget for a one car garage was sub 60K and it's the most stylish, comfortable blazing quick 4 door with cargo space I could afford and not be embarrassed to be seen in.

After lunch with the buddy I don't know if I would've bought an SQ5 if someone posed the option of a sub $40,000 muscle car (price of fully loaded 2016 Mustang GT V8 I tested) and a $5,000 work truck. Heck, I could tack on my used KTM Super Duke 1290R at $13,500 and be around the SQ5 price.

Just thinking aloud. Thanks for reading.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My TDI consolidated my GS350 and Golf TDI. It was the perfect fit
Old 09-19-2015, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great question!
My simple answer is Yes except that the 3.0T (non "S") took place of multiple cars. It allows me to tune and exhaust and pulley swap and re-wheel and lower for SQ5+ power and a look I like while filling my need to meddle in everything I own...

Given the 4 kid situation and limited garage space, I tired of dealing with the family hauler + my 3 cars - older Jeep GC, heavily modded Fox body Mustang, and the point and shoot pocket rocket SVT Focus I used to commute with most days.

I sold the cars over the course of a couple years and haven't looked back as the Q has so far surprisingly held my need-to-improve attention and is a much better drive for what's become a crappy commute. Will I eventually buy another fun car or 3? Yeah, I'm sure, but for where I'm at right now, this ticks many boxes.

Slightly OT - the car I miss the most? The SVT Focus believe it or not. Light weight, great handling and brakes, 6 speed, 7500 redline. It always left me with a smile that a 10 second 1/4 mile Mustang never could....

Last edited by BlackSVT; 09-19-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if the Q5 is the right choice if you're honestly considering one car to fill the gap between a full out truck and a sedan. We own a Q5, and the cargo capacity isn't that great. Yeah sure, it's a SUV with decent ground clearance, phenomenal AWD - but I would never take it off road, haul garbage, load it up with mulch, etc. Clearly, the SQ5 is the "sportiest" of the Q5 series and with the right tune you're going to be having a lot of fun. If you're looking for a family car and want an Audi, the Q7 is the winner. We've enjoyed ours for the last 3 years, but even the Q7 isn't as roomy as other "family cars" out there (unfortunately for me, wife wanted a Honda Odyssey...just bought one 2 weeks ago).

Getting back to the OP's post, if I had the money and space for 2 cars to accomplish both of those goals, I would clearly buy a cheap truck to beat around in, haul stuff, etc...and then a S7. S7 still has plenty of room for a weekend trip for my wife and 2 little girls, cargo space for a couple bags, etc. More cargo space than lets say the S6. More leg room in the back as well. With the right tune, you're already up there in terms of the power of a stock RS7.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

No, I have a 2015 C7 Stingray and the Q5 2.0T as my DD.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold my F350 and Golf TDI and bought the SQ5. I did also buy a small trailer with it and feel that I have a good combination now.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kreativecid
Hanging out with friend today and he posed a good question. Thought I'd post it since it's a slow day at work winding down. Maybe you were in a similar situation.

"Ah, I see you bought the SQ5," he said between bits of greasy pizza. "Why didn't you get that new Mustang GT V8 or other rear wheel drive fast car and also get a used Toyota 4wd truck? The Mustang was about $38,500 brand new and a used Toyota 4wd with no frills you could use in snow, hauling big loads, go off-road where shooting is far away and legal, etc would be around $6000 give or take. You'd be in both about $12,000 less than the SQ5."

Hmmmm, never thought of that. No need to buy extra wheels and tires to replace the SQ5's 21" summer, two vehicles for specific uses, one could be a beater. To which I said...

"Because knowing how I am that older Toyota is NOT going to be used on dates or going out downtown even though it's what you should drive for door dings, etc. And I rarely haul big loads, I work from home, I don't haul a dirt bike, I don't go driving on dirt roads for hours to a camp site and my brother has many trucks to borrow those few times a year. A 4wd older Toyota would be super practical but painfully slow. I don't do slow even in vehicles that aren't supposed to be fast. And when it snowed or got nasty that Mustang is parked and I'm driving the older but nice Toyota for weeks or months on end which probably says more about my ego or insecurity vs practicality." I admitted having an old 4wd for nasty snow slush and mud is a great idea.

"That Ford GT would be my 'nice car' but it's so limited. Only good weather and it's a stereotypical musclecar. People see it and people want to race. Which is fine. Then I have two cars in my garage with two insurance rates and associated costs."

Sidenote: I see from many signatures you own a 5 variant and a nice fast Golf R or BMW or other newer luxury ride.

What do you think? Did your Q5/TDI/SQ5 consolidate your car fetish or needs?

Or was it an add-on to the many nice vehicles you already own?

For those on a limited budget, and I know there are some here that aren't, would you have gone the way of a fun weekend toy whether a Mustang GT V8 or used Dodge Hemi or motorcycle, for example, and then, say, an older used SUV or truck? Or some combo thereof.

I will state this: there is no other car I'd buy today other than my tricked out Audi SQ5. Almost as awesome as the loaded Macan S but $12,000 less and more practical for my needs. My budget for a one car garage was sub 60K and it's the most stylish, comfortable blazing quick 4 door with cargo space I could afford and not be embarrassed to be seen in.

After lunch with the buddy I don't know if I would've bought an SQ5 if someone posed the option of a sub $40,000 muscle car (price of fully loaded 2016 Mustang GT V8 I tested) and a $5,000 work truck. Heck, I could tack on my used KTM Super Duke 1290R at $13,500 and be around the SQ5 price.

Just thinking aloud. Thanks for reading.

I sold my 2008 Hummer H3 Alpha and 2006 Audi A4 to consolidate into a 2016 Q5 TDI and couldn't be happier, perfect blend between the two.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Traded a 135i and an X5 in on the SQ5. It's fun having a sleeper, Cayenne GTS thought he was going to run away from me from 25 mph highway merge, he gave up at 130.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I sold my 09 GTI and my dad traded in his aging 04 4Runner.

GTI was a nice fast car, a bit small for the family.
4Runner is nice and spacious, gas hungry and sluggish.

I think the Q5 is a good replacement for the two. Has enough power to get around with no problem and plenty of room for cargo.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

For me it was simple ,

I've wanted a 4x4 ( Quatro style )
I've wanted the 3.0 Supercharged
I've wanted something sleeper ( maybe not in sepang blue but people dont know SQ5) lol
I've wanted something that can carry my little family (1 newborn baby)

All togheter makes the SQ5 the perfect fit for me

and yes the SQ5 replace my GTi perfectly

Last edited by Jay337; 09-23-2015 at 04:38 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did your 5 consolidate two vehicles? One fast play car + a truck, possibly?