Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 TDI Loud Exhaust

Old 04-04-2014, 04:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 TDI Loud Exhaust

Hi guys, I have clicked 3,500km on my SQ5 TDI, Absolutely loving every second of the car. Now as the topic says Loud Exhaust my car is bone stock from factory, every now and then (3rd or 4th time now) my car for about 10minutes mid drive gets so much louder I mean it’s as if someone has added another sound actuator into the exhaust, that type of loud and to be honest it sounds unreal I couldn’t believe it the 1st & 2nd time it happened but thought it was my imagination, this time around I had passengers in the car and we could all tell there was a difference in the volume of sound coming out I’m soooo 100% positive it defiantly got loud for those few sweet minutes and just magically as it came it went back to usual. So we can figure out exactly my car settings were in Dynamic mode, it didn’t matter whether transmission was in sport, drive or manual they all sounded sweet. (I really wish I tuned the engine sound to comfort and see if it was the actuators) What I believe it may be…. The particulate filter was in a cleaning cycle burning out the gasses and that allows the exhaust to breath better hence louder sound but just a wild guess.

Surly someone else has noticed it, it’s no concern as the car runs beautiful but I want to keep that sound on permanently it just sounded amazing!! OHHH and one other thing I noticed when stopped at a red light I put it in Neutral to rev it without load to see what that would sound like, and guess what usually it wont go past 3000rpm, I think just below that anyway… well thinking it would do that I floored it in Neutral and it hit the bloody 5200 limiter like wtf again very cool but I’m not a rev head I thought it would stop at 3000rpm where it always does when out of gear but nope it just kept going haha happened so fast.

So let me know if anyone has experienced this I’m going to do a bit of my own research as well but I thought I would ask here, as it’s a great site for information
Old 04-05-2014, 12:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

so im guessing no one at all has noticed this??? has anyone got a DPF on their SQ5/Q5 that is the only thing i can think of I am considering removing it all together, yes i know it will throw engine lights and that but there are ways around them... I know it will give it little extra kick after all it is restricting air flow but I don't want it to make it sound like a ****ty V6 or smoke like a truck..
Old 04-05-2014, 01:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts
Default SQ5 TDI in US ????

Wrong place, because on U.S. market not exist SQ5 TDI

Maybe this is the solution for you:
http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/au...rsound-sq5.php

Last edited by spijun; 04-05-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Happy italian owner of a SQ5 TDI (some 2,200 km so far) but never happened to hear the actuators louder than the standard "dynamic mode".

Since I love the dynamic sound too, I have set it also in the individual mode so that I can enjoy the "music" also when I am in the quieter D mode.