Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Disappointing gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default I did state that we are looking at 2 other vehicles...

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
I would respond your family all agrees they've never driven a Porsche. My wife recently traded up from a 2005 Audi S4 Cabriolet to 2011 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cab, and the difference is night and day. Interior materials, handling, acceleration, overall build quality ... the S4 was a great car but can't hold a candle to the 911 except maybe in the area of comfort.

If you're so down on your Q5, why don't you just sell it???

BTW, equating a Subaru -- SUBARU! -- to a Porsche is the best laugh I've had all week. I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't still April 1.
we will definitely rent the next vehicle from the dealer for a few days before we buy as not to make a mistake.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Probably true, but we need the higher cargo space.

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
If the Subie is preffered over the Q5, maybe the Allroad would have been a better choice...
I'm just disappointed that this Q5 didn't follow the past A4 trend. My relative just bought an A6 and when I drove it I wasn't excited. I think this electo-steering assist is the problem, just lack of good road feel, and not tight.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They mean it feels glued to the road

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
I would respond your family all agrees they've never driven a Porsche. My wife recently traded up from a 2005 Audi S4 Cabriolet to 2011 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cab, and the difference is night and day. Interior materials, handling, acceleration, overall build quality ... the S4 was a great car but can't hold a candle to the 911 except maybe in the area of comfort.

If you're so down on your Q5, why don't you just sell it???

BTW, equating a Subaru -- SUBARU! -- to a Porsche is the best laugh I've had all week. I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't still April 1.
and is responsive, and also doesn't transmit every little bounce in the road.
The Q5 electo-steering is just not tight as the Subie is.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unreal Gas Mileage

On my way back north from FL and getting 29 mpg with my Q5, 3.0 at 70-75 mph. This car is unbelievable, lots of power and 29 mpg. Can't be beat.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
The winter gas blend gives us around 350-360 a tank and in summer consistent 390-400. Sounds like you have a lead foot or a fuel issue.
Naw, pretty gentle most of the time as I stated earlier. "D" mode 80-90% of the time. 76 Premium gas, but keep in mind Cali emission restrictions are the country's most stringent. The gas you get in Chicago, even in winter, is probably way better.

I'd been getting closer to 320-340 but this last tank (which admittedly was 95% city) just astounded me.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been getting 21-22 mpg in Wisconsin this winter with about 50/50 city/hwy driving on my Blizzaks. One big advantage I might have is not living in a large metro area where I can get gas without ethanol. If I'm not mistaken, the winter formulation gas is only required in metro areas. I also don't warm up my car... I just get in and drive. I'm hoping I will average about 24 mpg in the warm weather.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jkballon
On my way back north from FL and getting 29 mpg with my Q5, 3.0 at 70-75 mph. This car is unbelievable, lots of power and 29 mpg. Can't be beat.
That's awesome! I'm jealous.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Your mileage doesn't surprise me actually, when CA location is focused on.

On the Q5 2.0T, your calc. honestly does not surprise me. Like you I live in CA--the Peninsula of the SF Bay Area more specifically. From reading many MPG posts on this board, I shake my head often thinking, that's just not the world in which I live.

First, being sober, the stats now say I live in somewhere between the first and third worst metropolitan traffic area of the country, contending with LA and NY. Even within the Bay Area, there is Fremont or Hayward or other places with some faster streets as "city/suburban" and then there is creep and crawl like SF, a lot of Berkeley, and a variety of other places. Thus even the "local" yardstick varies from locale to locale, but the traffic here is statistically among the worst in the country.

Another data point are some loaners I got from Rector in Burlingame. Each one has had a few thousand miles, and the mpg reading was never cleared. Yes, the computer if anything is marginally optimistic, but so far I have been in a 19mpg A4 2.0T quattro and a 17mpg Q5 2.0T. So a set of drivers over six to ten tanks found those kind of mpg's per the display in Peninsula driving in low mileage 2013's and 2014's.

Relative to your Mazda, I can only speculate. You don't say if it was FWD or AWD. And even if it was AWD, Audi quattro drive is full time while almost all the Japanese designs are part time/on demand, excepting mostly Subaru's as I recall. The full time designs will invariably use more fuel. Also don't know the gearing on each comparatively. Also a bit surprised if I read your post to say the Mazda would weigh in at close to 5000 pounds if I add give or take 500 pounds to a Q5 weight. I could believe the CX 9 weighs around what my old Sienna AWD weighed, which was also in the mid 4000 range and got a similar 16MPG in mixed Bay Area city/suburban w/ modest freeway. Also, are you sure the Mazda is actually as fast as the 2.0T? Our 230HP 3.3L Sienna certainly wasn't. The turbo and the 8 gears give the 2.0T pretty good acceleration, but turbo's just plain burn gas if used.

Net, honestly in the SF Bay Area or other similar "city suburban" CA locales if you were looking for low 20's on the Q5 2.0T, it doesn't tie to what I saw on the loaners or the realities of the traffic issues here. Owning the Hybrid, low 20's is what I'll see with that in everyday local use, and it only gets comfortably to upper 20's if it has a good amount of leisurely freeway and higher speed/expressway type suburban driving. As another data point even on the family 1.6L turbo 2010 Mini S with a six speed stick FWD and easily 1000 pounds less weight and similarly not all that aero, no better than mid 20's around here is pretty common over tens of thousands of miles now.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-03-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

In 2011 I test drove the Subaru Outback 3.6 and the Q5 2.0T. At the time the 4 cylinder Outback was only rated to tow 1500 lbs so not an option. Now I believe it is rated at 3500 lbs. I found the 3.6 Outback to be a sluggish toaster compared to the Q5. And I get a great discount on the Subaru as well, just couldn't do it. It was so boring to drive and hurt my eyes to look at it. The gas mileage ratings were much worse at the time as well and only a 5 speed. I routinely get high twenty's on the display and don't baby it. I have friends with the 4 cyl outback CVT and they get good mileage and like their cars. It's all what you like or not.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Relative to your Mazda, I can only speculate. You don't say if it was FWD or AWD. Also a bit surprised if I read your post to say the Mazda would weigh in at close to 5000 pounds if I add give or take 500 pounds to a Q5 weight. Also, are you sure the Mazda is actually as fast as the 2.0T?
1) All Q5s are quattro aka AWD.
2) Q5 (2.0T) curb weight 4089 lbs, CX-9 (AWD, which is what I had) 4559. Close enough to 500 lbs. for my math
3) Q5 0-60 7.1 seconds, CX-9 6.8

I think that answers your questions.

Last edited by Dalancroft; 04-04-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Disappointing gas mileage