Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

DIY - Execuhitch Hitch install on 2013 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Yoshimura and others:

how much was the hitch?
how much to ship it to canada?

did you get it installed at the audi dealer or a local shop

they told me that they only sell the manual model now and no longer sell the automatic model

please advise
Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

hello:

just talking to steve at execuhitch.com

the Q5 hitch is $548 includes the trailer hitch with ball and
a 2" receiver for non hitch use i.e. bike racks etc.

for those in Canada, it is an extra $148 in shipping
Old 04-26-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

hello

cost and shipping details to canada

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24804265
Old 04-26-2016, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

this is their new web site

Invisihitch Hitches

this is what they have told me:
We have the Q5 available for immediate shipment. We are in the process of launching a new website and we have not updated our vehicle list. Specific vehicle information is listed below and shown in attached photos and install guides. The tow rating is listed on the attached install manual (5300 tow/500 tongue). For this specific vehicle, we require the removable hitch cover. See photos.

Our hitch is completely invisible while not in use. When you get ready to use the hitch, there is an attachment that locks into place. The aesthetic beauty of the vehicle is maintained while adding lifestyle functionality. Visible bars and bumper cutouts are not required, nor is ground clearance sacrificed. As opposed to the design of aftermarket hitches, our hitch replaces the bumper core and connects to the existing bumper connection points. This gives you two benefits: A) less total vehicle weight, and B) in the case of a rear end accident, the vehicle collapses as designed, minimizing impact to passengers.

We offer detachable connectors (2" and 1 1/4") that convert our hitch into a square tube receiver that accepts current versions of bike racks, ski racks, cargo platforms and other miscellaneous square tube accessories. See attached "detachable bike rack connector" photo.

For towing, our ball mount performs differently than a square tube hitch and receiver. Our hitch connects directly to the hitch receiver block, creating a solid connection to the vehicle frame, thus eliminating the jerking and banging associated with the square tube receiver during starts and stops. It feels like an extension of your vehicle, not a connected load. This solid connection creates less wear and tear on the vehicle transmission. See attached "detachable ball mount" photo. Also look at the attached diagram to see where you connect the safety chains.

The Invisihitch wiring system uses our CPU to monitor and duplicate taillight functions from a separate fused connection to the battery for trailer lights. Our CPU is a passive device that does not draw a current from the tail lights or affect the Audi fault monitoring system.

Pricing:

Rack Package $ 419
• Hitch Receiver
• Rack Connector

Tow and Rack Package $ 548
• Hitch Receiver w/chain loops
• Wiring Harness/ Receptacle Brackets
• Ball Mount w/2” ball
• 2” Rack Connector

Shipping: $ 156 to canada/ usa may be less/other counties may be higher
Old 08-02-2016, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at picking up a CPO Q5 3.0T and would need to occasionally tow a small trailer. Are there any concerns with the lack of full system integration with the Execuhitch? I'm thinking of the adaptations and ESP coding done with the OEM hitch?
Old 08-02-2016, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back into the VAG scene and picked up a CPO '14 SQ5 this past weekend. I too am looking for a hitch. I've contacted Execuhitch and am looking at the OEM hitch.

I haven't been able to find a clear cut answer on the OEM if you can perform the coding with a VAGCOM or if a dealer needs to do it?

I'm torn between the two. I'm a fan of the integrated electronics on the OEM and the hidden look of the Execuhitch. I know some people have done the OEM wiring with the Execuhitch, but the wiring appears to be about $500.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by shaggymatt
I just got back into the VAG scene and picked up a CPO '14 SQ5 this past weekend. I too am looking for a hitch. I've contacted Execuhitch and am looking at the OEM hitch.

I haven't been able to find a clear cut answer on the OEM if you can perform the coding with a VAGCOM or if a dealer needs to do it?

I'm torn between the two. I'm a fan of the integrated electronics on the OEM and the hidden look of the Execuhitch. I know some people have done the OEM wiring with the Execuhitch, but the wiring appears to be about $500.
You can code with VAGCOM or OBDEleven
Old 08-02-2016, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shaggymatt

Hi, I went the OEM route and actually did the coding this evening.
For model years 2008-2012 the following works. For newer models, the ABS step is apparently a little different. Ross-Tech can probably help you there.

2009-2012:

[01 - Engine]
[Coding - 07]->[Long Coding Helper]->Byte 6, Bit 3 Changed from 0 to 1 (check box "Trailer Installed" in VCDS)

[03 - ABS Brakes]
[Security Access - 16] (Enter code presented by program)
[Coding - 07]->[Long Coding Helper]->Byte 1, Bit 7 Changed from 0 to 1 (check box "Trailer Hitch Installed" in VCDS)

[09 - Central Elec]
[Coding - 07]->[Long Coding Helper]->Byte 18, Bit 5 Changed from 0 to 1 (check box "Trailer Hitch Installed" in VCDS)

[10 - Park / Steer Assist]
[Coding - 07]->[Long Coding Helper]->Byte 0, Bits 0-3 Changed from 0000 to 0001 [Trailer Hitch Not Installed to Trailer Hitch Installed (Manually Removable) pull-down list in VCDS]

[19 - CAN Gateway]->[Installation List]-> check box 69 - Trailer
Old 08-03-2016, 03:59 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the info guys. I'll be doing the OEM hitch I guess. I'll figure out the SQ5 coding...
Old 12-31-2016, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi folks - I came across this thread while looking for a hitch for my wife's Q5 3.0T. The execuhitch / invisihitch seems like a good option versus OEM, especially because I want to retain the car's aesthetics.

There website doesn't have any Q5 pictures and details are kind of limited (http://www.invisihitch.com/). Are folks who went with it still happy?

What are your pros and cons for the invisihitch?

Quick Reply: DIY - Execuhitch Hitch install on 2013 Audi Q5