Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Do dealership offer VagCom adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do dealership offer VagCom adjustments?

In the next few months I will be picking up my new 2016 SQ5 and I was wondering do dealers typically do customizing /coding during the PDI and vehicle handover? My knowledge is limited on the Ross-Tech product and the Carista line so I hoping to have it done at the dealership prior to pickup.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pfgray2008
In the next few months I will be picking up my new 2016 SQ5 and I was wondering do dealers typically do customizing /coding during the PDI and vehicle handover? My knowledge is limited on the Ross-Tech product and the Carista line so I hoping to have it done at the dealership prior to pickup.
I would guess not, but that being said, I'm sure some of the mechanics have the equipment and do it on the side at home.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just returned from my first Audi service on my Q5. All the VAG-COM mods I did with a Ross-Tech cable were changed back to the default settings. In my previous VW the dealer never touched the software. I called the Audi Service Dept the next day to complain and was told that as soon as they hook up your car to the computer it syncs with Germany and the software is either tweaked with official changes or reverted back to the current software. Hence all the customizations were wiped out. Not a major thing as you should have a saved back-up and list of mods anyways. So after each visit to the dealer it will take a 20 min update at home. First world problem.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

It's not automatic whether or not mods are returned to the default settings. It depends on which specific modules are updated and if a dealer is not mod friendly. In 14 years of owning four Audis with two different dealers, I only had two instances where some (not all) of my Vag-Com mods were affected. My latest '13 A6 has been in for service multiple times and had the MMI software revised twice - not one mod was affected.

Re the OP's question, dealers do not use VCDS Vag-Com, they have dedicated tools from the manufacturer. In my experience, they can make certain requested mods at their discretion but most will not. If you don't need or want the full functionality of VCDS and only want to make some of the more popular mods, Carista offers an inexpensive mobile app and bluetooth OBD2 module that is very simple to use. You can do a global AW search or threads on this product.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe it's dealer specific? Mine never touched any of the changes to my 2014 Q5. Even if the all-seeing eye in Germany reset it, the dealer could have changed it back the way I had it. They know who butters their bread and in fact engage with customers discussing mods. It's a potential source of business to them, so why wouldn't they.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

I think we better enjoy our mods as I see VW/Audi in the future locking us out requiring a connection to Germany servers to make changes. This is simple for them to implement. It can even goes as far to lock us out from using the VCDS to analyze our vehicles. Yes, I know there are laws protecting independent garages to have vehicle access, but VW/Audi can force them to purchase the VW/Audi analyzing equipment and require a connection to the corporate server. The current VW scandal is going to force a lot of hands off any modifications in the future...........
Old 09-27-2015, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I think we better enjoy our mods as I see VW/Audi in the future locking us out requiring a connection to Germany servers to make changes. This is simple for them to implement. It can even goes as far to lock us out from using the VCDS to analyze our vehicles. Yes, I know there are laws protecting independent garages to have vehicle access, but VW/Audi can force them to purchase the VW/Audi analyzing equipment and require a connection to the corporate server. The current VW scandal is going to force a lot of hands off any modifications in the future...........
Bob, I'm not sure I agree. There are laws in the U.S. that require a manufacturer to not lock out indys or owners from servicing their cars. I doubt that VAG can employ more stringent requirments for the ability to do so including purchasing (or locking out of) special software tools or additional certifications. As it is, I believe VAG will have their hands full for several years trying to undo the mess they have created.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Bob, I'm not sure I agree. There are laws in the U.S. that require a manufacturer to not lock out indys or owners from servicing their cars. I doubt that VAG can employ more stringent requirments for the ability to do so including purchasing (or locking out of) special software tools or additional certifications. As it is, I believe VAG will have their hands full for several years trying to undo the mess they have created.
We will see...........

I don't think that the VW problem is going to be a big show stopper issue. If you go to the VW FAQ on this subject, they state that the 2016 2.0TDI meets US emission requirements without hacked software. So there could be a quicker fix than assumed.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Back circa 2000 Audi published a few TSBs on how to do the remote windows tweak and also one about optional disabling of rear side airbags after several airbag related mishaps (typically in front) raised concerns about them. They used to permit the dealer to do the windows tweak one time if requested without charge for example. Those faded over the years though and I haven't heard anything at all about dealers offering it. Some like the windows tweak that can affect pinch protection (as in kids heads stuck in windows) and of course the old side airbag one get into safety related issues the dealers can be leery about. Thus on the airbag one even 15 years ago, Audi published the TSB but word was basically none of the dealers would do it over liability concerns.

Net, I expect it remains primarily a DIY, or informal get togethers among Audi owners or through the regional/local meet type stuff where things get done in parking lots and such.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-27-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Corlin
I just returned from my first Audi service on my Q5. All the VAG-COM mods I did with a Ross-Tech cable were changed back to the default settings. In my previous VW the dealer never touched the software. I called the Audi Service Dept the next day to complain and was told that as soon as they hook up your car to the computer it syncs with Germany and the software is either tweaked with official changes or reverted back to the current software. Hence all the customizations were wiped out. Not a major thing as you should have a saved back-up and list of mods anyways. So after each visit to the dealer it will take a 20 min update at home. First world problem.
Yeah, same thing happened to me...The only thing I turned back on was the Needle Sweep and disabled the Seat Belt warning ;^) - #firstworldproblemsforsure

Quick Reply: Do dealership offer VagCom adjustments?