Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What short of an SQ5 could I bear...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What short of an SQ5 could I bear...?

Ok, here is a question to the knowledgable folks here who have been so informative since I have been on this board, and have no doubt done a lot of cross-shopping and cross-thinking.

My dear 2011 is almost ready to find a new home. Next stop was always assumed to be an SQ5: 1 kid family man with need of some family carrying capacity, and a wife who would castrate me if I even suggested she swap out her Cooper S (say nothing). I get the practical vehicle. The Q fits the bill but I need a bit more brass to meet (nearly) middle-aged testosterone requirements.

If Audi offered me an S4 Avant I would seriously consider it. No go, obviously.
If all I could consider in that cadre was an RS4 Avant I would seriously consider it and possibly sell my mother to do so. She said this was ok if she could borrow it, but again, no go.
Does my 8 years of Audi love dare consider other options? BMW will soon offer the 4 series GC which, carry-wise, might be just enough of what I need in a lower format. The A/S7 is just too big & long as a comparable kind of vehicle, and for reasons unknown (except to our hatchback fearing brethren in the U.S.), the S5 Sportback will never be offered here...which, of course, is Audi's already-existing-but-euro-only answer to the 4 series GC (sigh).

So, I stay aimed at the SQ5 or, if it meets my practical needs, the 4 series Gran Coupe for lack of a real equivalent. Or, I could do what I do with skis and get a dedicated Little Guy (S3 or whatever) and a (used) Big Guy, the idea being that the latter would be occasionally enough and the total price (all things going well) the same. A dedicated vehicle solution seems to make sense. I don't like sporks, but the SQ5, having driven one, ain't no spork.

I know I am perhaps swimming in a biased pool here. My own answers are unknown until I get into a 4-GC first hand and my bmw experience (as a side issue) is exactly zero, but any useful words would be welcome.

Thanks folks.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

My BMW experience was an E39 (2001) M5; I have to say it was the best car I ever owned. However, now I need a mid-sized SUV, the X3 was a non-starter for me. The proportions on the 6 Gran Coupe don't do it for me so I don't think the 4 GC would do it either. The Macan would probably be the only other car I would consider now but the SQ5 is several '000s less expensive.

Bottom line would most likely still take me to the SQ5.

Steve
Old 05-18-2014, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not underestimate the 3.0T. Not quite the SQ5, but has ample oomph, especially if you are used to the 2.0T.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why not a Q5 TDI? It knocks you back in your seat with TDI torque, zips around in style (the SLine+ package is better on the TDI than on the 3.0*), and is easier on the day-to-day wallet with excellent fuel efficiency (I'm getting 28mpg to and from work with 32mpg - at 75+mph - on long road trips).

*I don't like chrome trim.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nathanjbrown
Why not a Q5 TDI? It knocks you back in your seat with TDI torque, zips around in style (the SLine+ package is better on the TDI than on the 3.0*), and is easier on the day-to-day wallet with excellent fuel efficiency (I'm getting 28mpg to and from work with 32mpg - at 75+mph - on long road trips).

+1
Old 05-19-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why not a Q5 TDI? It knocks you back in your seat with TDI torque, zips around in style (the SLine+ package is better on the TDI than on the 3.0*), and is easier on the day-to-day wallet with excellent fuel efficiency
^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said
Old 05-19-2014, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I love my SQ5. I wanted a sports car, but needed an SUV to haul my bikes around and my gear for the times I participate in adventure racing. The SQ5 was the perfect blend for me and my "middle-aged testosterone requirements." I'm a happy man! :-)
Old 05-19-2014, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My sentiments exactly

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
I love my SQ5. I wanted a sports car, but needed an SUV to haul my bikes around and my gear for the times I participate in adventure racing. The SQ5 was the perfect blend for me and my "middle-aged testosterone requirements." I'm a happy man! :-)
Lots of vehicles out there but very very few with this particular set of qualities. It came down to either a Grand Cherokee SRT or an SQ5, and, well, once the comparisons were made, there was only one choice for me! I can't wait to drive this thing every day!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
Can't agree more. I'm im the same boat but with a kid. My SQ5 fits the bill. Don't buy this car if you are concerned by fuel efficiency. Otherwise, it's so fun to drive. Lots of power into this small size SUV.

Last edited by Myles123; 05-20-2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The 3.0T has the black trim, as well, it's the SQ5 that has chrome trim with no black available for whatever reason. It'd be nice if people had a choice of the trim since some want the black but others want the chrome.

I certainly love my TDI (non-S-Line), and think it'd be a pretty good fallback for the SQ5 if you did care about fuel consumption. Granted I haven't driven an SQ5 and wasn't looking for the absolute fastest version anyway (and fuel consumption was a major factor), but with 428 ft-lbs of torque, listed 0-60 of 6.5 (C&D tested at 5.8), and 24/31 EPA rating (you'll most likely get more), it's a great blend of power and fuel economy and in my mind #1 if you do care about both categories.

But as always, everyone's different and what I'm happy with someone else may end up hating or not being satisfied with, so everyone need to test drive for themselves. The 3.0T would be a less-expensive, less-optioned, detuned version of the SQ5 but would presumably be similar in power delivery characteristics so it could be an option as well, especially if price is an issue. Over time you could add engine mods to get S-like power out of it, though at the same time if you know you're going that way soon enough then you may as well just go all-in on an S up front.

Quick Reply: What short of an SQ5 could I bear...?