Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Grill without License Plate Holder

Old 09-14-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grill without License Plate Holder

I've had my 2013 Q5 for a couple of months now, but removed the dealer tag from the front when I got it. I originally wanted to find a unique, yet classy plate, to put on the nose, but noticed another Q5 without a tag bracket at all. I've been looking a little on eBay, but can't seem to find exactly what I had seen on the other car.

Is the tag holding portion of my grill something that can be removed? How are the grills without plate holders specified so maybe I can find one on Ebay?
Old 09-14-2016, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It was actually an option when I ordered my 2014. Even though I live in WI where a front plate is required, I went with the no plate holder option.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

You need a filler panel. Pretty easy to change.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
You need a filler panel. Pretty easy to change.
So I can remove the tag holder and get a filler panel without changing the entire grill?
Old 09-14-2016, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pedalquickly
So I can remove the tag holder and get a filler panel without changing the entire grill?
Correct, you just replace the black bar that goes across. If you have parking sensors it's more difficult the first time you do it. I can do it in about 5 minutes because I do it all the time. Working for an NJ dealer 10 minutes from PA means we switch them out often.

Is this what you have on now?

Last edited by SYMAWD; 09-14-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Better yet a custom plate that says "Audi Q5" with a frame that says "Audi Sport". That is the best combo to make sure you never forget what you are driving.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Correct, you just replace the black bar that goes across. If you have parking sensors it's more difficult the first time you do it. I can do it in about 5 minutes because I do it all the time. Working for an NJ dealer 10 minutes from PA means we switch them out often.

Is this what you have on now?

Yes, thats what I currently have. Thanks for the info!!
Old 09-16-2016, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

my 2016 q5 3.0 tfsi with the tech pkg was ordered with a front plate holder;
none came at delivery .

they are NOT installed at the factory.
they are done after they get off the boat

it took three trips to the dealer get a front plate on my car.
the last one had two pins on the plate holder, but unlike the picture above, my car did not have those two holes. thus the dealer snipped off the two plastic pins and screwed it in.

when they went to mount the front plate, the screw holes in the license plate did not match the threaded inserts in the plate holder . i nearly blew a gasket.

the tech just use self taping screws to get the license plate on as i did want a fourth trip
Old 09-16-2016, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by waninae39
none came at delivery .

the last one had two pins on the plate holder, but unlike the picture above, my car did not have those two holes. thus the dealer snipped off the two plastic pins and screwed it in.

when they went to mount the front plate, the screw holes in the license plate did not match the threaded inserts in the plate holder . i nearly blew a gasket.

the tech just use self taping screws to get the license plate on as i did want a fourth trip
The holes do not match US plates. They are designed just to be screwed in like the tech did. I find it hard to believe they change them after they arrive at port. That would mean removing the cover that the cars are shipped in and putting them back on which is time consuming. Not to mention it is time consuming to change the brackets.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by waninae39
none came at delivery .

Same thing with my '15 3.0T when I got it. Self tapping screws solved the problem, though I don't think it should have been delivered without the correct piece to easily mount a front plate...so I can appreciate your frustration.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grill without License Plate Holder