Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Has anyone had to order a replacement key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had to order a replacement key fob?

As the title says guys... Looks like I have misplaced one of my key fobs

Has anyone been through the process of getting a replacement and can offer some advice

Cheers
Old 09-21-2015, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Rags47

Has anyone been through the process of getting a replacement and can offer some advice

Cheers
You need to go to the dealer with proper ID to make sure you are the owner, have state vehicle registration card also.

They will remove the lost FOB from the ECU programming so no one can start the car who found the FOB (but they will be able to open the car manually with the key).

You will then need to go back and have all the FOB(s) reprogrammed into the ECU when your new one comes in.

Quite a simple but costly process.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I just searched and founds some FOBs on eBay. Without getting into it, the first vendor has 2 for $85 each.

So the question is can you do this yourself with VCDS? Search the forums a little.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I just searched and founds some FOBs on eBay. Without getting into it, the first vendor has 2 for $85 each.

So the question is can you do this yourself with VCDS? Search the forums a little.
Impossible, you must have a device value of EUR 10,000 + you need the raw key

Only dealer or authorized Audi Service. Price approximately $200-250

Last edited by spijun; 09-21-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Supposedly, the fob must be reprogrammed in a process where the dealer connects to a secret highly secure computer in VW HQ overseas and authenticate a code for it.

And that's only possible for dealers, supposedly.

(Not that we've ever heard mistruths from Audi about such things.)

So while a "refurbished" "remanufactured" or "used" key fob might be perfectly good hardware, and while any generic $25 key fob should be able to work instead of most overpriced OEM fobs...the dealer still has the discretion to say "Nein! That is NOT an authorized replacement!"

So I'd make sure any eBay purchase is guaranteed to be refundable if the dealer refuses it, or it somehow doesn't work. There are always new scams for counterfeit goods on eBay, apparently if an eBay "resolution" process has been used on a problem merchant, the buyer loses the ability to post feedback and the complaint is DISAPPEARED by eBay. (Nice, huh?)

The key itself can be cut by "any" locksmith.

Bringing fresh donuts to the shop manager while you genuflect and beg mercy might help.(G) I think we'd all love to see some less expensive way to get a spare key.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I ordered an Ebay replacement key to take to the dealer. But the buttons were very plasticy and didn't click very well. My original key fob was broken by a Valet and the pull out key was no longer staying in place. Had tape holding it down.

So I pulled out the ebay key guts (top insert) and swapped it into my original key fob. That worked nicely to fix my original broken key. Warning though... I had to reverse the battery metal connector as it was installed backwards on ebay key. Go figure.

So after that, I decided to play it safe and ordered an original Audi Key from dealer because the body of the ebay purchase was not very good.

Dealer asked me to bring all key fobs and also the spare Valet Key to ensure they all got programmed together.

Overall, I would suggest you don't skimp on an aftermarket key. Play it safe and get original quality from the dealer. It looks better and works better. Nobody Panic!! that's just my opinion.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key replacement cost, direct quote from dealership as of 2021

Need to replace my 2010 Q5 FOB key. Asked 2 dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area, here are the prices, as of 2021.
Key itself $500+tax, takes 3-5 days to arrive, custom-ordered according to VIN#
Programming $250, takes 1hr to program, require appointment
Total $800 (tax included)
Ebay/Craigslist won't work because there might not be proper chipset/circuitry inside for programming. I don't think there is any way to skip dealership and do this any other way. I'm just going to live without a second set.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by howardaw
Need to replace my 2010 Q5 FOB key. Asked 2 dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area, here are the prices, as of 2021.
Key itself $500+tax, takes 3-5 days to arrive, custom-ordered according to VIN#
Programming $250, takes 1hr to program, require appointment
Total $800 (tax included)
Ebay/Craigslist won't work because there might not be proper chipset/circuitry inside for programming. I don't think there is any way to skip dealership and do this any other way. I'm just going to live without a second set.
That's about 2x I was quoted in Minnesota (2015 SQ5). But you're right, there is no good alternative to OEM keys; what I've gleaned from my research (and this may vary by Q5 MY) is that some of the aftermarket keys will not support the CAS entry.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Rags47

Cheers
I did but because I replaced my comfort unit to latest with keyless start functionality.

Just take all your keys with you when you visit the dealer. Ask them to remove the key you have lost from your comfort unit .

Last edited by apoelistas; 04-01-2021 at 05:58 AM.