Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Help...Battery trickle charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help...Battery trickle charger

Well...thought I would be smart, preventative and hook up my noco genius charger to the Audi as we will be away for a couple of weeks. Hooked it up at the under hood posts, positive red to centre post under flap middle of bottom windshield and negative to post on fender well. Used the AGM COLD setting on the noco genius setting.

Hooked up to car then plugged in to wall plug and lights flashed and DRLS came on with all sorts of relays sounds from car. The charger then only indicated 50 percent charged? WTF? Is this normal?

Incidentally, tried a small battery tender jr first and it would not work at all. LED would not show green!

The car only has 2500 kms on it and appears to be fully charged, so what's up?

Can I not trickle charge on the posts in the engine bay?

Going to battery in the back directly is a chore in small garage not much room as it is.

Please help. Going away soon. I am perplexed!,

Cheers

Last edited by Jcampbell3; 12-04-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an interesting question and I hope you get resolution to it. However, you do not need to worry about the battery because of a two week storage. If you were going to sit for six months, that would be a different thing.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hooked up my Noco g7200 to the terminals under the hood on many occasions. Never had any issues. yes, initially it'll only show 50%, but within a few minutes it jumps up higher.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply.

How did you set the unit?

Did you have lights flash on and sounds of relays that I did? Curious
Old 12-04-2016, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Jcampbell3
Thanks for the reply.

How did you set the unit?

Did you have lights flash on and sounds of relays that I did? Curious
I had it set to agm/cold. no lights, no sounds.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do these comments mean a Battery Tender or Battery Tender, Jr. cannot be used if I want to park the Audi for more than two weeks?
Old 12-04-2016, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Audi sells a similar (NOCO or CTEK) battery charger in Europe. Not sure if it is available in North America. Here's the press release from CTEK which is the same product branded as NOCO.

This means it should not be an issue using battery chargers/maintainers on Audis.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HBarlow
Do these comments mean a Battery Tender or Battery Tender, Jr. cannot be used if I want to park the Audi for more than two weeks?

Don't know for sure, My Q5 is a 2017 3.0T Sline.

I tried it for a couple of hours and the LED never turned green, indicating it was in maintenance mode. I assumed that the car was fully charged to begin with, as I drove it the day before for 1/2 hour so it should have been.

I have used these units for many years on my bikes with no problems! And that was on BMW bikes with AGM batteries. So I assumed it would be fine here. All I noticed was that it was warm when I disconnected it. Maybe its defective or something is different with the 2017? Damned if I know.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your replies. I guess the only way for me to know is to try hooking up one of my own Battery Tenders.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HBarlow
Thanks for your replies. I guess the only way for me to know is to try hooking up one of my own Battery Tenders.
Please let me know if you're successful it would be very interesting to know long-term thanks very much. Cheers