Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Help...Battery trickle charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Noticed last week that my Costco (Melville, NY) is selling the Battery Tender unit. I believe the kit was $50 but not sure I recall correctly. Not available online.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Noticed last week that my Costco (Melville, NY) is selling the Battery Tender unit. I believe the kit was $50 but not sure I recall correctly. Not available online.
Just make sure it's at least the battery tender plus. The little junior I had only supplied 750 ma at best. I tried it for at least 5-6 hours on fully charged battery and it did nothing. I returned it.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcampbell3
Just make sure it's at least the battery tender plus. The little junior I had only supplied 750 ma at best. I tried it for at least 5-6 hours on fully charged battery and it did nothing. I returned it.
It wasn't the junior model. I have one of those on my generator.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 12-05-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA OR OREGON"
That can often simply mean "Made with lead/tin solder" so they cannot besold in places that rigorously ban lead. Like the EU and California, btw.

HB-
Probably a different model, the "plus". If I got bad information, since it came from the maker, I'd avoid it anyway.

JC-
What, you didn't program your NOCO to send you text messages every time it changes modes?(G)
I don't know which model you have, but mine was clear that it will NOT go into long-term maintenance mode until it has been hooked up for a full week without interruption. Interrupt it for any reason, and it may go into what you can I would call a float mode pretty quickly, but it doesn't get into the final long-term mode until it has had a week of doing that. (So I make a point not to interrupt mine.)
Old 12-05-2016, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I wasn't the junior model. I have one of those on my generator.
How do you know what I had? Gezz...
Battery Tender Junior, 0.75A Maintainer | Canadian Tire

Say junior right on it!
Old 12-05-2016, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
"NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA OR OREGON"
That can often simply mean "Made with lead/tin solder" so they cannot besold in places that rigorously ban lead. Like the EU and California, btw.

HB-
Probably a different model, the "plus". If I got bad information, since it came from the maker, I'd avoid it anyway.

JC-
What, you didn't program your NOCO to send you text messages every time it changes modes?(G)
I don't know which model you have, but mine was clear that it will NOT go into long-term maintenance mode until it has been hooked up for a full week without interruption. Interrupt it for any reason, and it may go into what you can I would call a float mode pretty quickly, but it doesn't get into the final long-term mode until it has had a week of doing that. (So I make a point not to interrupt mine.)
Got it working today as an experiment. As previously noted it did get to full charge after about 4 hours, I thought it would automatically and immediately go into long term mode. Obviously I was wrong! So you are saying that had I left it alone, without communicating my desires it would eventually go there?

I am disappointed it did not speak to me and advise me of its intentions! However I will forgive it as it likely doesn't speak English.

Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers

Last edited by Jcampbell3; 12-05-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, if you leave it alone for a week and a day, it goes into long term mode. Why that long, I have no idea. But.

"From there it does take quite a while to get to solid green, 100% - maintenance charge, usually overnight. "
AGM batteries, more so than wet lead batteries, really need to get to 100% charge for the best battery life. Not just 95% like most SLI batteries, but a real 100% to reverse any sulfation forming in the glass matts, apparently. And with all lead acid batteries, the charge acceptance rate (how quickly they will accept a charge) actually goes down rather dramatically as the state of charge comes up.
So if it took 9 hours to get to a 90% state of charge? It might take twelve more to put in the last 10% and bring the battery all the way up. (Numbers for illustration only!)
It's physics. Even the companies that make AGMs got some rude surprises after they were on the market for five or ten years and the complaints kept pouring in.
But unlike Fiat, our batteries don't eat out our trunks. And unlike BMW, we don't need special vent hoses to carry battery gases out of the car. And emergency responders are WAY happier knowing there's no battery acid splashed around a wreck.
Audi could stick some notes in the manual, but I think they cover this under the "There there dear, don't you worry your silly head, just give us your wallet and we'll make it all better. Would you care for some coffee and pastry while we do that?" (sigh)

The dealer I'm using doesn't play that game, but somehow when they offer me a drink, they've never got any decent single malt around. Terribly disappointing, that.