Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Highest Possible Fidelity via AMI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highest Possible Fidelity via AMI?

Hello All,

I'd like to get the best possible audio fidelity I can get from my iPhone (or an iPod Touch) connected to my Q5's B&O system. My collection is ripped from CDs in Apple Lossless. Streaming via Bluetooth sounds decent, but I'd like to get more from the system.

My plan is to purchase a standalone DAC for my iPhone or iPod Touch (something like an AudioQuest Dragonfly). I would then connect the DAC to the AMI cable that has a 3.5mm plug on the end.

Is there a better way to do it? My understanding is that USB and 30pin (or the new Lightning) AMI cables rely on the iPhone's internal DAC. So it seems my external DAC is the way to go. True or false?

Thanks!

N
Old 08-01-2014, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've read, the Apple 30-pin to lightning adapter actually has it's own DAC in it, and it's supposed to be pretty high quality. I was originally using an iPod Classic plugged into the AMI 30-pin cable and it didn't sound that great. I switched to using a current generation iPod Touch with the 30-pin to lightning adapter and it was noticeably better. This is on the stock MMI system + an upgraded processor, amp and speakers that are very revealing of audio quality.

I don't think you're going to notice much difference with an external DAC + line in, and you'll lose the ability to browse playlists, skip tracks, etc on the MMI...and then crash into the back of someone messing with your iPod or iPhone.

Last edited by Ulmer; 08-01-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting. I hadn't heard anything about a DAC built in to Apple's 30pin to Lightning adapter. Would that same DAC be found in the new Lightning AMI cable from Audi?

I'll need to look into this (good point about browsing music through the MMI).

N
Old 08-01-2014, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

We'll, what do you know?

Inside the Apple Lightning to 30 Pin Adapter | Chipworks Blog

It's not that I didn't trust you, but I'll admit to searching for more evidence...
Old 08-02-2014, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The various AMI cables, 30 pin or 30 pin w/Apple Lightning adapter, Lightning, mini jack, etc. from an iPhone will only carry an analog signal already using the cable's or iDevice's DAC - the current MMI via AMI is only able to process audio and video analog, not digital. The best freq response and dynamic range in an Audi will derive from using high bit AAC or MP3 files transferred to an SD card or the Jukebox where the source is digital with one less DAC for prosessing (the MMI does not directly support lossless). Further, if you have the B&O system, the digital signal path is maintained all the way through to the speakers with the M.O.S.T. fiber transport where the MMI's DAC is utilized at the amps' outputs.

I've experimented in depth with all the various options and the SD card/Jukebox options win hands down.

https://forums.audiworld.com/a6-c7-p...rized-2840907/
Old 08-02-2014, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

So CD is #1.
SD/Jukebox is #2.
AMI connected device is #3.

That's a shame given the market share iDevice's command. I would need to re-encode my collection to get the most out of the B&O system. While I could batch encode, I'm not sure I want to manage multiple collections (I already manage two: AIFF and Apple Lossless).

Perhaps I'll just cycle through my current top-ten CDs in the Q5 rather than tossing them into storage after I rip them.

Some day I'll have kids. I imagine they'll wonder why daddy is putting coasters inside the dashboard.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanjbrown
So CD is #1.
SD/Jukebox is #2.
AMI connected device is #3.

That's a shame given the market share iDevice's command. I would need to re-encode my collection to get the most out of the B&O system. While I could batch encode, I'm not sure I want to manage multiple collections (I already manage two: AIFF and Apple Lossless).

Perhaps I'll just cycle through my current top-ten CDs in the Q5 rather than tossing them into storage after I rip them.

Some day I'll have kids. I imagine they'll wonder why daddy is putting coasters inside the dashboard.
Unfortunately I believe so. Note that in my brief comparison tests, AAC using the SD card sounded better than Apple Lossless through either AMI or Bluetooth. If you already have AAC files, it's easy enough to insert the SD card and copy the tracks to it using iTunes.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by gronk
Unfortunately I believe so. Note that in my brief comparison tests, AAC using the SD card sounded better than Apple Lossless through either AMI or Bluetooth. If you already have AAC files, it's easy enough to insert the SD card and copy the tracks to it using iTunes.
Agree - either hi bit AAC or MP3 in digital form on SD or Jukebox will sound better than any AMI analog file including lossless. Especially with any of the B&O systems.