Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

In hindsight what would you change on your 5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In hindsight what would you change on your 5?

I'm sure there are a few who took the time to order EXACTLY what they wanted. For others the cliche "hindsight is 20/20" rings true.

Now that you've racked up some miles and time is there anything you would change? Was it immediate or only after lengthy ownership?

Example: Should've got the TDI because you're towing more, a Q5 with S-line because your wife picked out a plain jane with small wheels, you've moved to a hot climate and a lighter leather with ventilation sure would be nice, etc.

For me the vehicle is near perfect......except maaaaybe the wheels. The Premium Plus came with 21" summers. I did not order the car, but 20" all seasons would've been just fine and I'd avoid buying 19" winter set since 21" tires are so expensive (yes, a SQ5 owner can still be frugal).

That leads me to my next coulda/woulda/shoulda: the wheel gap comments. A 20" would allow for taller sidewalls thus reducing the wheel gap?! Truth be told I didn't notice the wheel gap until others online mentioned it. Lowering is not an option for me and the cost and complexity of selling slightly used 21" and buying new 20" prevents me from it. What's the cliche: ignorance is bliss?

Other than the minor pseudo-remorse I think my SQ5 is near perfect for my needs (okay, an SQ3 with 19" all-seasons would be THE perfect Audi). I tested many vehicles (S4, A5, 2.0 q5, q5 tdi, macan s, mustang gt v8, golf r, q3, etc), but I'd get the SQ5 again.....with maybe a minor wheel change, ha.

So what's your change(s)?
Old 09-16-2015, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm reading this correctly, you're looking for available options you'd change, versus things about the car (such as the transmission) that are unchangeable.

I'll base my answer mostly on my previous '13 Q5 3.0T that I just traded for a new '15 SQ5 off the lot. My previous 4 cars have been custom orders, so time will tell if I end up being happy with a lot purchase.

In my Q5, that was back when they had the S-line package that came with the black headliner, flat bottom, thicker steering wheel, and Drive Select. Even though I ordered my car, I did not include that package, and I regretted it pretty much from the get-go. We had the 3.0 engine with S-Line exterior, the sport interior package, etc, because we were essentially creating the SQ5 for ourselves before the SQ5 launched. So not having the S-Line package really felt like a mistake--one I corrected by getting the SQ5.

Other than that, I loved everything about the car. B&O was one of those things we threw on just because, and I recently had a loaner 2014 SQ5 for a week that didn't have it? Wow, what a difference when you are used to B&O.

So yeah, I couldn't have been happier with the Q5 overall.

In my '15 S3, not so much options but rather '15 vs '16. Not certain I would change, but I would've liked home link and the now standard backup cam.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got our 2011 used. I wish I had picked up the Premium Plus and the 3.2L. The sound of the engine is a little blah...not much you can honestly do to a 2.0L 4 cylinder. It's a wonderful powerplant, but will never have the smoothness and character of a I-6, V6 or V8.

Features I really miss that are on our other car:

1) memory seats
2) auto dimming mirrors (shocked this isn't on the base model, probably is now)
3) power tailgate

I don't really care about the rest. (larger rims, navigation, backup camera, etc.)

I'll get criticized for this, but given the very torquey nature of the 2.0T, it might almost be better off with a CVT transmission. More responsive on downshifts.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kreativecid why not make a trade? Tons of guys would love to trade some 20" SLine wheels for 21" SQ5 wheels. If you were close to me, I would trade with you lol.

As far as the OP question, after having the car for a year, There's not much I would change. Very minor things can be done via the VCDS or Carista. One thing that kind of annoys me is the prolific use of hard plastics that I was not used to from my previous Audi's.

Another is the transmission hump in the 2nd row seats.

Other than that, I am good with the car.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI you'd have the same wheel gap with 20s. The rolling diameter is basically identical. If anything, it might make the gap look larger, because you'd have more rubber and less rim.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am eager to upgrade my MMI to a 3rd party touch screen-based system, that can interface with my smart phone seamlessly!
Old 09-16-2015, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would have Audi connect but it is not offered in Canada for some bizarre reason.

There are other things I would change but I am assuming that the OP means what would you change from the combinations of Q5 offered in NA.

I would like the ROW tail clusters with amber indicators as well.

I would like Audi to embrace chip tuners like GIAC and APR so that one could buy the tune and keep the warranty...ideally as Volvo does with Polestar now.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi used to do this with Stasis, not sure why they stopped, but one of the rumors was due to higher numbers of engine related failures Audi didn't want to be on the hook for any more tunes. Like I said this was a rumor, nothing that I can confirm.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Never get that aluminum trim if you have a wife with a purse. Constant dings as she swings the damn purse across the console to the passenger floor