Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How long will you keep your Q5

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long will you keep your Q5

How long do you plan to keep your vehicle?

I have never had to field this question before because most of my previous cars made the decision for me; they conked out on me and forced me to buy a new vehicle. My last car (BMW) was totaled in an accident and that prompted me to get the Q5, but having spent most of its life in a garage at home and at work, my Q5 has virtually no weather or sun damage. Driving in CA and FL it has never been through a harsh winter and it is aging very well. Whenever I wash it, it looks brand new. The only obvious wear on the car is the driver's side floor mat where my foot rests as I toggle between brake and accelerator pedals.

My Q5 is now 6 years old and I find myself wondering where does one go after owning this vehicle? Another Q5 seems unlikely. The Q7 feels a little too big. The Q6 is not yet available to even sample. For the first time ever, I do not know what my next car is. Trading up to a Porsche crossed my mind, but the Macan's interior is very cramped compared to the Q5. The Cayanne is great, but it can easily top $100k after a few options are added and I can't justify that. Can one be happy with a Toyota or a Ford after owning an Audi? If you value driving performance and comfort what is the logical next step after a Q5?
Old 02-27-2017, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We kept our '13 Q5 for 3 1/2 years before trading it in on an A6. It was very low mileage, but I usually don't keep cars beyond the factory warranty period and for some reason I got the bug. We do miss the CUV sometimes and are shopping for one at this time. Loved the Q5 BTW. It was our first Audi.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Until the expended warranty expires... 7 years from purchase.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Obviously you are a Tesla customer. Suffer with that for five more years, and everyone swears you'll be able to call a driverless car whenever you need one, so you can use the garage for better things.(G)
Old 02-27-2017, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If driving dynamics and comfort are what you value most in a crossover, then the upcoming 2018 SQ5 might interest you. It has a lighter weight, adaptive air suspension, rear sport differential, hugging seats and more leg room.
​​​​​​
Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, TDI outcome still pending, if the fix is satisfactory and, with an extended warranty . . . probably quite a while, perhaps 10/120K. Still absolutely love it and just try to take the keys from my wife. All that torque has turned her into a speed demon. I drive it like quarterly it seems . . . if I am lucky!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Having a 2009 Q5 quattro TFSi 211bhp 7 speed S-tronic, with some extras, 19" 8j rims, hill descent, hill brake control, coming home, HID/Xenon, rain sensors,cruise control I never thought of purchasing another SUV, because I it is pointless to me of trying to find a better SUV.
I have thus undergone the firmware update, the hardware upgrade, and the accessories route. Hardware for both fixing issues (pcv with its excellent ecu firmware for better fuel consumption) and adding some aftermarket performance parts which I believe will prolong the life of the vehicle (KWE bigger intercooler).
I also fitted my Q5 with some accessories: audi cross bars, fog garnish, exhaust tips muffler S/S, kufatec-fiscon bluetooth kit. Did some projects to update instrument cluster and gateway firmwares in order to be able to enable efficiency program and oil temperature, which otherwise was impossible with vcds due to having a Q5 2009 MY.
Also I have enabled through VCDS tyre pressure monitoring system, and now researching for led replacement on incandescent bulbs.
Thus I am thinking of the upgrade route in order to add more features rather than selling a 95% perfect SUV.

My next projects are:
1. KWE intercooler (waiting for delivery) -- update received
2. Adding drive select (already purchased and researched, need time to implement)
3. Adding keyless start (I have all parts of the cheap/quick installation method without antennas but I have to solder wires on ignition housing, or need more research of how to do the proper way)
4. licence plate OEM led. Already ordered and maybe upgrading with some internal leds at a later stage. Also ordered a pair of 1500 lumens cree led H11 and 1800 lumens cree led H11 (6000k) which will install as fog lights (need to test both before I decide). The current h11 incandescent fog lights should produce around 800 lumens and consume about 55 watt.

When I am done I will stop upgrading and enjoy my vehicle.

So this could be an alternative. Adding benefits which you value most in order to diminish the need to purchase a new SUV.

What I cannot add to my Q5 is ESP brake type toque vectoring because Audi never offered this technology as a firmware update on 2009-2012 S-tronic B8s with torsen differential. It was only possible with sport differential, unlike the MY 2013-2016 S-tronic B8s which are capable and support this technology.😞

Last edited by apoelistas; 03-01-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Depends on how much I still like my 2016 SQ5 in the next couple of years, how reliable it will be, what else is out there etc. Traded in a 2004 M3 after 18 mos due to reliability issues. Kept a 1992 Benz 500E for 25 years because it always felt great even at 20.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought my 2012 as a temporary replacement for my Passat TDI that was returned. If I could have located a Q5 TDI anywhere close to me at the time, I might have considered keeping it for a while. But once VW/Audi gets some of their new models out, the Q5 will be traded. The seat backs, don't seem to heat, and I've confirmed the wires are connected. The MMI has some terrible design errors, plus the fact it won't stream Bluetooth. It drives nicely (once I replaced the tires), but fuel economy is worse than the '11 Tiguan I had (and it streamed BT!).

I will more than likely stay with a VW brand, but I will be looking closely at the Mazda CX-5 diesel and the Chevrolet Equinox diesel. I want the VW group to come back strong with diesels, but I don't think it's going to happen. And their hybrids are still a couple years off.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Has anyone driven a Jaguar F-Pace? On paper they look to me great!

Last edited by Redvoodoo55; 03-03-2017 at 05:18 AM.

Quick Reply: How long will you keep your Q5