Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Hydroplaning q5 vs x5

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydroplaning q5 vs x5

Just purchased a 2016 q5 with the 3.0 and low miles. On a stormy commute last night I found that I was hydroplaning at speeds and in similar conditions where my old x5 was in complete control.

We were told how much safer this awd system was and the handling in wet conditions. So far we are disappointed.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I believe the tires and their condition are a much more important factor in that, rather than the all wheel drive part of it.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Good tires are the biggest factor in preventing hydroplaning. Quattro is of little value if the front tires are not touching the pavement. AWD or FWD CAN make one aware of hydroplaning that might go unnoticed in a RWD vehicle where the front wheels are simply coasting.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

What everybody else said. Hydroplaning has absolutely nothing to do with AWD, but has everything to do with how well the tires can evict the water from under them. That's mostly a function of the tread design and depth. Your X5 simply had better tires.

I just recently changed from Pirelli P Zero on my RS5 to Michelin Pilot Super Sport and the difference is huge in the rain. I liked the P Zero in the dry, but it was quite horrible in the wet. It's the first tire I ever hydroplaned with. I've had Michelin tires on most of my previous cars, which included BMW and Audi, and they never hydroplaned on me.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Tire issue only as far as primary vehicle variables, assuming similar weight vehicles and tread widths. AWD or otherwise only enters in if you keep on power as you feel it in vehicle/steering wheel and the powered end is letting go--more a RWD gotcha. ESP can catch some of that if driver doesn't. For that matter, who is even to say with different pavement surfaces (concrete, open asphalt, more closed type..), any given random puddle or run off issues or many other variables beyond tires or vehicle. Honestly, net, need to slow a bit. No matter how much a driver may feel wronged or other scenarios, in CA anyway the accident type report inevitably will go down Basic Speed Law: speed unsafe for conditions. Probably about the same everywhere.

I had an SUV pass me in our Q5 in recent weeks on freeway with heavy rain and partly flooded lane at night. Poor conditions by any measure. That highway (101) is also known--for those of us who bother--as prone to flooding in fast lane. Shook my head the guy thought 70 or more was okay in a situation like that. Two minutes later I came across same vehicle dead stopped with lights pointing head on into traffic having done (at least) a complete 180 in fast lane/freeway. Looked dazed. Maybe bounced/scraped off concrete wall during spin too. To add to no fun that can get out of hand in a fraction of a second if bad, if vehicle hits a curb or other rise as it spins or slides, often enough with an SUV to "trip" it and flip completely. You would never suspect that would happened in what would seem like a minor incident and involving single vehicle only, but I see them more and more both off the road (or on it) and in the pictures in everyday news, even on very ordinary city streets.

Just being very stone cold sober here on why there is no magic to SUV's, quattro, AWD or anything else when it comes to traction and tread realities with water, speed an sometimes under-maintained roads.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-18-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

What they said. Not to get too nerdy... but what were the X5 tires and tread depths? What are the Q5 tires, and tread depths? Summer tires? All seasons?
Old 02-19-2017, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss

I just recently changed from Pirelli P Zero on my RS5 to Michelin Pilot Super Sport and the difference is huge in the rain. I liked the P Zero in the dry, but it was quite horrible in the wet. It's the first tire I ever hydroplaned with. I've had Michelin tires on most of my previous cars, which included BMW and Audi, and they never hydroplaned on me.
I just changed from my summer tires to Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S3+. They are dang good tires. They may give up a little in dry conditions but not much. In wet, they are way, way better.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
My experience with Pirelli P Zeros (and other Pirelli models I've owned) was awful to say the least. Almost any other tire will be quieter, have better wet traction, will maintain roundness and last longer. While there may be a Pirelli tire model that's decent, I will never have one mounted on any of my cars again.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not only is tire tread depth important, but tire pressure is a huge part of it.

The higher your tire pressure the higher the speed a tire can maintain without hydroplaning.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarb6179
Just purchased a 2016 q5 with the 3.0 and low miles. On a stormy commute last night I found that I was hydroplaning at speeds and in similar conditions where my old x5 was in complete control.

We were told how much safer this awd system was and the handling in wet conditions. So far we are disappointed.
You might want to start by telling us what tires you are running and how much tread is left on each tire.

Quick Reply: Hydroplaning q5 vs x5