Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Hydroplaning q5 vs x5

Old 02-19-2017, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tires probably the most important variable. But, weight is also a variable and my 2010 X5M was close to 1000 lbs heavier than my SQ5.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarb6179
Just purchased a 2016 q5 with the 3.0 and low miles. On a stormy commute last night I found that I was hydroplaning at speeds and in similar conditions where my old x5 was in complete control.

We were told how much safer this awd system was and the handling in wet conditions. So far we are disappointed.
I had the same problem due to low tread depth. My tires were worn out (few mm away from tread wear indicator).

I changed my Q5 tyres to Goodyear Wrangler HP All season M&S and problem solved.

Also, tyres have different properties but all are rated for wet grip.

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-20-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

its only tire related. nothing to do with the vehicle
Old 02-22-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My seat of the pants experience also indicates that vehicle weight does make a difference. Heavier vehicles being better....
Old 02-22-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by IRogue
My seat of the pants experience also indicates that vehicle weight does make a difference. Heavier vehicles being better....
Of course it does. As does tire width. Basic physics. But tire design, tread compound and tread patterns make a bigger difference.
Hydroplaning resistance and wet handling are not the same thing. A light car with wide grippy tires will out handle a heavy SUV on a damp surface but it will hydroplane before the SUV in deep puddles or runoff.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

As a rule, tread design affects hydroplaning resistance at high speeds and in deep water. Tread compound affects wet traction at lower speeds or in shallow water.

The speed at which a tyre hydroplanes is a function of:
1. water depth
2. vehicle speed
3. vehicle weight
4. tyre width
5. tread depth
6. tread design.

It depends on how much water has to be removed, how much weight is pressing down on the tires and how efficient the tread design is at evacuating water.

Deeper water, lighter vehicles, wider tyres, less tread depth and less efficient tread designs will cause tyres to hydroplane at lower speeds.

So tread design is one factor out of the 6 that may help evacuate water and resist hydroplaning.

We cannot change due to restrictions: 1, 3, 4.

So We should concentrate on 2, 5 and 6.

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-22-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Actually vehicle weight is not a consideration. Weight changes the size of the tire contact patch, but tire size (width) and air pressure can be matched to zero out the effects of any weight change. If your car weighs 20% more than mine does, there's no difference as long as your car also has tires with a 20% larger contact patch. (i.e. wider tires.)
Old 02-26-2017, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Actually vehicle weight is not a consideration. Weight changes the size of the tire contact patch, but tire size (width) and air pressure can be matched to zero out the effects of any weight change. If your car weighs 20% more than mine does, there's no difference as long as your car also has tires with a 20% larger contact patch. (i.e. wider tires.)
This would be sound theory if tires were totally flexible. In reality however the rigidity and inelastivity of the tire carcass resists the effect of increased air pressure. Tires are inflated to a pressure that is far higher than that necessary to support the staticweight of the vehicle but the carcass maintains its shape and size thus maintaining a contact patch that is still larger for a larger wider tire than for a smaller narrow tire at the same pressure. Still applies but not a 1 to 1 relationship. If it did, hydroplaning could be reduced or eliminated simply by increasing inflation pressure.

Last edited by J. Patterson; 02-27-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
That's not true at all. The weight of the vehicle determines how fast the water can be pushed out of the way. A lighter vehicle is more likely to hydroplane than a heavier vehicle. Hydroplaning occurs when water on the roadway accumulates in front of the vehicle's tires faster than the weight of the vehicle can push it out of the way.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"That's not true at all. The weight of the vehicle determines how fast the water can be pushed out of the way. "
Nope. If a tire is inflated to 32psi, there will be 32# sitting on every square inch of the contact patch, and the size of the patch is what changes. Granted you can vary the tire compound and construction and vary that as well as the vehicle weight, but the weight itself is meaningless, the contact patch size can be "tuned" to match that. Usually by changing the air pressure in the tire, and then the tire size (width).

"If it did, hydroplaning could be reduced or eliminated simply by increasing inflation pressure." And in fact the tire companies and auto companies all say that proper tire inflation reduces hydroplaning, to keep your tires properly inflated to reduce that problem. Eliminate the problem? No, you can only eliminate hydroplaning by staying on dry roads.

And of course the actual tread design, and how that allows or prevents the water from being channeled out from under the tire and allowing rubber-to-road contact to actually happen...that's even more of a black art. Especially since anyplace there is a gap in the tread, is area the contact patch doesn't really make/have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hydroplaning q5 vs x5