Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rattling sunroof warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling sunroof warranty

I have a 2012 Q5 with a sunroof that has rattled on and off since new. It was back in yesterday and they lubricated it but it did not solve the problem. I'm taking it back next week and in the mean time they sent me this email:

I should also mention that under the new car warranty squeaks, rattles & adjustments are only covered for one year, and your vehicle is over that as of last March. If the technician finds a defect in any of the components that make up the sunroof (such as the frame) then the repair would be covered. I just wanted to mention this because if the technician only needs to make an adjustment to correct the rattle noise then it would not be covered under warranty.

Does this make sense? I'm in Canada so is my warranty different from other countries?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say if I'm right or wrong, but I believe if you have this issue and it was stated long before the warranty was up on it and they have failed to fix it, it would still be a warranty item as it was expressly stated before that it was a problem but they have failed to fix it. I would be talking with the dealership and if they won't change their stance on it, then file a complaint with Audi of Canada. If an issue is reported before the warranty and they have tried to fix it multiple times, it should still be a warranty item until they actually fix it.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2011 model and the sunroof also used to rattle, it would only rattle when it was closed but when tilted or open it would stop. The dealer had to take apart the frame and replace a part all covered under warranty, only had 26,000 miles.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

have had sunroof rattle since they did the recall. other rattles also. car has been in the shop at least 3 times now, for as little as 7 days to as much as 21 days and all they do is lube everything and rattles still persist. today marks week 2 of latest attempt to fix problems. got a call yesterday from service manager and he told me audi has a new TSB with some new lube to be used in this climate. sounds like BS to me - i can see lube fixing squeaks, but not the kind of rattles I'm hearing. Sounds like my muffler is falling off!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

just got car back from n.o. dealer - still trying to get rid of sunroof noise. they said they finally adjusted something and the noise was just about gone. lasted for about week and it's back as usual. the lube probably dried up!! i guess i'm going to have to go to the next dealer about an hour and a half away. what a drag.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

UPDATE - so I'm now in the middle of my 3rd week since i last dropped the car off for another attempt to fix the rattle in the pano. In working with audi, the dealer replaced 17 screws in the sunroof frame with modified ones and applied a new type of loc thread - didn't work. they did one or 2 more things which they couldn't remember what they were and lastly have modified the wind screen per direction from audi. went for a test drive yesterday and the only thing i heard making noise were all the parts in the car and the seat belt chime - go figure. think i'm suppose to get it back today. Here's all they've taken apart.
Attached Images