Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Importing Phone Contacts into MMI

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing Phone Contacts into MMI

Hey guys,

Rookie question. I found that when I connect both the dockboss Air (as discussed in the bluetooth streaming thread) and the bluetooth phone connection, it skips at times and I think it's because it is updating the contact list.

Is it possible to import all of my contacts onto the hard drive of the MMI? This way I will dial numbers stored in the MMI not the phone?

Also, would voice dialing work this way? Like "call John Doe"?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
Hey guys,

Rookie question. I found that when I connect both the dockboss Air (as discussed in the bluetooth streaming thread) and the bluetooth phone connection, it skips at times and I think it's because it is updating the contact list.

Is it possible to import all of my contacts onto the hard drive of the MMI? This way I will dial numbers stored in the MMI not the phone?

Also, would voice dialing work this way? Like "call John Doe"?
I'd be curious about this too; I don't think it's possible, but does it matter? The call is still being made with your phone... which you have to have with you... so the Q5 might as well be grabbing the contact data from the phone which will always have the more up to date data.

What I'd like to know is who really uses the built in hard drive and for what? I loaded some music onto it and the sound quality was horrendous! Worse than an 8 track tape! Which means its unusable for that. So who is using the hard drive and for what?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Never tried this, but apparently you should be able to import contacts to MMI in vCard format from SD card. Note however, that addresses or GPS co-ordinates would not be imported (for navigation). This is known problem with Audi vCard implementation, that addresses and GPS data are encrypted and specification is not available. Simple Name, Surename, phone numer vCards (as you can export from Outlook or similar applications) should work without problems and be stored directly to MMI.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is the option to create a "profile" that will store your phone contacts on the MMI, so that it won't have to import the whole list every time you turn the car on. A profile can be created for each mobile device one syncs through bluetooth. I don't have my vehicle, or instruction book with me at the moment, but I learned to set this up on my Q5 by reading the manual. I believe, if I recall correctly, that once a profile is created, the only updating that occurs when turning the vehicle on, is the syncing of contacts not already imported into the profile. I hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

According to Audi you can import your vcard list to the internal HD through the SD slot. You can also import addresses that CAN be used/accessed by NAV.

Fast forward this video to the 2:40 mark for the MMI importing info

http://www.auditechnology.com/#2012/q5/7VrbI_0PiuE
Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys. I'll give this a shot once I dig up my SD card from my junk drawer
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry if I'm confused about all this, but is the data really being stored locally on the MMI HD? And even if it is, does that matter?

I paired my iPhone 5 with the car the other day, and without anything more than simply initiating the Bluetooth handshake / pairing, all my contacts were instantly available on the MMI screen. I didn't go through any steps to transfer, or load the data. So, does that mean that it just happened automatically? Or was it still just reading that info straight from my phone, like I assume?

Are there features which would only be available if the data was stored on the car HD, that would otherwise be unavailable if accessed, on-demand, from the handset???
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

My understanding is contacts stored can be accessed and used by ANY cell phone that is subsequently connected.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hawk12
My understanding is contacts stored can be accessed and used by ANY cell phone that is subsequently connected.
That is correct. The reason I want them stored in the MMI rather than "streamed" from the phone is as follows:

1) Voice Dialing through the MMI will not work from phone contacts, perhaps it will work from MMI contacts

2) When streaming bluetooth to the MMI through a modded cable and dockboss air (settle down 2013's, this is for the 2012 and lower model years) I believe that the music gets choppy when there is activity between my phone and the mmi, probably when it's updating contacts. This can be disabled through my bluetooth settings and the MMI will not get sent contacts, possibly reducing music interruption

EDIT: My mistake, voice dialing does work from phone contacts. My main concern is point #2

Last edited by BirdmanQ5; 01-23-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
That is correct. The reason I want them stored in the MMI rather than "streamed" from the phone is as follows:

1) Voice Dialing through the MMI will not work from phone contacts, perhaps it will work from MMI contacts

2) When streaming bluetooth to the MMI through a modded cable and dockboss air (settle down 2013's, this is for the 2012 and lower model years) I believe that the music gets choppy when there is activity between my phone and the mmi, probably when it's updating contacts. This can be disabled through my bluetooth settings and the MMI will not get sent contacts, possibly reducing music interruption
Ah. Interesting. It's the wife's daily-driver, so I haven't played with the car's toys much. Yet...
But that could indeed be the big difference there. While I immediately saw all my contacts presented on the MMI screen, I did NOT attempt to voice prompt anything. So no idea whether it would just stare back at me, or actually understand anything.

Quick Reply: Importing Phone Contacts into MMI