Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

The Beginning of the End for TDIs in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Beginning of the End for TDIs in the US?

Was at my local Audi dealer today and was informed that the new Q7 won't be offered as a TDI in the US. This is a change, and wondering if this is part of a larger plan to phase out the TDI in the US completely.

I'm conflicted. If this is true, then on one hand it will drive my Q5 TDI value up. On the other, I'll have fewer options down the road. I'm hooked on the Turbodiesel, and will likely never return to gas.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckardk
Was at my local Audi dealer today and was informed that the new Q7 won't be offered as a TDI in the US. This is a change, and wondering if this is part of a larger plan to phase out the TDI in the US completely.

I'm conflicted. If this is true, then on one hand it will drive my Q5 TDI value up. On the other, I'll have fewer options down the road. I'm hooked on the Turbodiesel, and will likely never return to gas.
That seems so odd. They are going to be forced to fix the engines and make them compliant so why wouldn't they want to then sell those engines to recoup the engineering costs? BMW, Mercedes,Land Rover, Jaguar, GM & Chrysler have all said they are staying committed to Diesels in the US
Old 01-18-2016, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

^ They'll still be available in the EU and AU, as demand there is still high.

Very sad. A hybrid Turbodiesel would be the shiznitz, and not coming in the US.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Deckardk

Hmmmm. If the CARB/EPA compliance issue is solved reasonably, Audi will bring the TDI in the Q7. I think we would all benefit from the remedy IF it doesn't hamper mpg and performance values very much. Audi has a reputation for changing options mid-stream...VW even more so.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sadly, yes. I fear it will take many years for this black eye to heal, and by the time the scandal is forgiven and/or forgotten (if that ever happens), hybrids and other alternatives will be mainstream. The only chance VAG diesels have here is if gasoline prices skyrocket in the near future.

There is no question diesel's reputation has been tainted, but the jury is still out on whether it's tarnished to the point other brands will try to distance themselves from it. Land Rover, for example, seems determined to take advantage of the situation.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Hmmmm. If the CARB/EPA compliance issue is solved reasonably, Audi will bring the TDI in the Q7. I think we would all benefit from the remedy IF it doesn't hamper mpg and performance values very much. Audi has a reputation for changing options mid-stream...VW even more so.
How would you define "reasonably"? For VW to fix the 3.0TDI, we know the engine will: lose power, lose efficiency, cost more, or any combination of the above. They wouldn't have bothered to cheat otherwise.

It seems the best hope for current TDI owners to maintain maximum value is for VAG to discontinue the engine here in the States. And that is just sad.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HotRodW
How would you define "reasonably"? For VW to fix the 3.0TDI, we know the engine will: lose power, lose efficiency, cost more, or any combination of the above. They wouldn't have bothered to cheat otherwise.

It seems the best hope for current TDI owners to maintain maximum value is for VAG to discontinue the engine here in the States. And that is just sad.
My understanding and research is that the 2.0 (generation 1) was the cheat issue and it was kept on going forward but especially with the latest versions of the 2L isn't nearly as needed as before. This engine is a VW built engine

The 3L is an Audi designed engine and has a auxiliary device that's not allowed in the US but is outside of the US. This isn't nearly the same issue as the 2L above and a software fix shouldn't massively change the way the engine runs or performs BUT it's increased use in a non-designed manner will most likely cause increased wear and tear on those parts thus why it's so important for an extended warranty to be put in place to protect owners from being on the hook Guinea pigs
Old 01-18-2016, 07:47 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodW
...hybrids and other alternatives will be mainstream...
They already are. I find them going 60 in the fast lane in front of me every day!
Old 01-18-2016, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
They already are. I find them going 60 in the fast lane in front of me every day!
That's because we live in CA. They aren't nearly as popular outside of CA/OR/WA
Old 01-19-2016, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Of course we have our share of traffic-blocking Prii here, too, but I'm referring to vehicles that directly compete with the Q5 TDI model ... Vehicles like the NX hybrid, for example, or more appropriately the upcoming GLC plug-in hybrid.

Ultimately, this is they type of blowback that will drive VW to pull them ...

This Couple Is Driving Cross-Country To Return Their Polluting Jetta To VW Headquarters

Quick Reply: The Beginning of the End for TDIs in the US?