Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Key Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Key Questions

No pun intended, actually questions about keys. We have a new to us 2016 Q5 PP TDI with tech pkg. Have been on a steep learning curve about all the technology and how to use it. Love the Q5 and the TDI characteristics. First time user for the proximity key technology. I typically hide a key somewhere on/under a vehicle in case key is lost when in boondocks or wherever. Not sure of best way to do this with this Q5 -- I assume hiding the complete key with battery will be close enough to vehicle to allow doors to open so not a good plan. I assume I can get a copy of the "mechanical" key to hide and that will open the door and start the car (supposedly there is a key slot to the right of the steering wheel). Questions:
1)Is hiding a copy of the mechanical key the best plan, will it allow me to open the door and start the car? Is there a better method for lost key protection?
2)I read on the forum that the car will not lock (via the buttons on door handle) if one of the powered keys is left in the vehicle. This is good news, is it true? I guess this is easy to try .
3)Somewhere while exploring the MMI info I found data that indicated 3 keys had been programmed for my Q5, I was given 2, I assume this means that another key was kept by original owner, lost, dealer has it or ?
4)What is best way to get copy of mechanical key, using key/VIN numbers from an Audi dealer or at a shop that copies the actual key I have?

Thanks to all for comments/advice, Ed
Old 02-19-2017, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

You should have got a black plastic key with the car. That clicks into the emergency key fob on the side of the glove box. When put together, it will start the car by inserting into the dash slot.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

+1 on prior answer. Then from your other questions, all hiding a mechanical key will do is allow you to get the door open to get in from the cold, dark or wet. You have to have a programmed key to start it, whether the fob remote type, or the plasti-key stuck into the case the earlier reply mentioned.

Yes, absent some special gymnastics, you cannot ordinarily lock an Audi key in the car--whether you try to push the lock button on handle, use a second key to try to lock it while first key is in the car with some other change of clothes pocket, the wife's purse, whatever. Same is true for Audi sedans w/ trunks, or back cargo area in Q5.

Dealer parts counter will sell you a pre cut blade component (which is a separate part from remote) or the plasti key. They will want your vehicle registration, VIN and I.D. to do it. They order by VIN and it comes already cut. But again to work electronically, it has to be programmed into car for $$. Car can hold up to 5 keys IIRC, but to program them they need all existing keys present to start. Thus you would bring your two and that missing probably plasti-key would get deleted. You can also go to a lock shop that has Audi key blanks (often with a conventional automotive plastic head) and a side cut key machine and have one physically duplicated, but again all it will do is get you through the outer door lock. Oh, and there is the weird "win the lottery" where if they have to reflash the ECU under warranty work, they also then need to re load all the keys. Since you have a TDI, that could actually happen to you if they figure out a viable fix. BTDT on my prior W12 where I had ordered up some extras and they just loaded them all in for no further charge. When our Q5 Hybrid broke a key electronic drive component under warranty, it got keys loaded too as part of a reflash. Why I know more about this key stuff and ordering and such.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-19-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
You should have got a black plastic key with the car. That clicks into the emergency key fob on the side of the glove box. When put together, it will start the car by inserting into the dash slot.
If you can't find the 3rd key, have that key ID removed the ECU by a dealer, or anyone that does have that key can open your Q5 and drive it way. You will then need to purchase a spare black plastic mechanical key and have the dealer program that key into the ECU, it ain't cheap for the key and programming.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
If you can't find the 3rd key, have that key ID removed the ECU by a dealer, or anyone that does have that key can open your Q5 and drive it way. You will then need to purchase a spare black plastic mechanical key and have the dealer program that key into the ECU, it ain't cheap for the key and programming.
I suggest you program the new key and remove the old one at the same time since most dealers charge the minimum shop time for 1-3 keys programmed. Save you from not paying twice.

Grey
Old 02-19-2017, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

If you do want to hide a key fob in or under the car, and not have the car notice it?
One thing to do is remove the battery, so it is "dead" to the car. No big deal, it is just a common lithium "coin" cell, and the delay of putting it back in, for an emergency access, really trivial. You can also put the fob in an Altoids box or other "tin". That is a Faraday cage (tech speak) and it will hide the key from the car, even if the battery is in it. The silvered mylar bag used as a shield for toll passes may also work, depending on signal levels. Easy enough to try either one, it just requires an extra pricey fob.
Which is all kinda sad, since these active fob systems have proven so vulnerable to attack, and so easy to steal the car. Last year some car makers formed a consortium [sic] to look into that, but I think that means "placate the rubes" rather than offer us solutions.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
If you do want to hide a key fob in or under the car, and not have the car notice it?
One thing to do is remove the battery, so it is "dead" to the car. No big deal, it is just a common lithium "coin" cell, and the delay of putting it back in, for an emergency access, really trivial. You can also put the fob in an Altoids box or other "tin". That is a Faraday cage (tech speak) and it will hide the key from the car, even if the battery is in it. The silvered mylar bag used as a shield for toll passes may also work, depending on signal levels. Easy enough to try either one, it just requires an extra pricey fob.
Which is all kinda sad, since these active fob systems have proven so vulnerable to attack, and so easy to steal the car. Last year some car makers formed a consortium [sic] to look into that, but I think that means "placate the rubes" rather than offer us solutions.
So why suffer, just hide and use the plastic emergency key................
Old 02-19-2017, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well as usual this forum has kicked me farther up the learning curve. I also read about keys (emergency and convenience) in the owner's manual but that is pretty vague without the forum input. I did find the plastic key fob mentioned inside a holder in the glove box. And now I know that the key insert in the dashboard is not for the metal key but only for the fob, and I learned that I could put my regular key fob in there with the battery removed and it will start the car. That was not clear from the owner's manual but good to know. So what I am seemingly missing (as you quickly pointed out) is the plastic key that must have a programmed chip in it (but no battery) and when it is put in the glove box fob you can use it via the dashboard access to start the car. I will email the dealer where I bought the Q5 (500 miles south) to see if they have the plastic key (wishful thinking). If not I will have to look into buying one and I guess based on your comments I will have to physically go to a dealer so they have all keys for the programming effort. One more question, if I find/get the plastic key, and find a way to hide it outside on the car with proper protection, will it open the door or do I need a metal mechanical key hidden to do that (and then I could hide the plastic key inside). I agree with negative comment about this entire system, it seems overly complex and expensive to me with little advantage. I think I would prefer the older style key or maybe a keypad and code on the door as some vehicles have. Thanks again, Ed
Old 02-19-2017, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by edsea
Well as usual this forum has kicked me farther up the learning curve. I also read about keys (emergency and convenience) in the owner's manual but that is pretty vague without the forum input. I did find the plastic key fob mentioned inside a holder in the glove box. And now I know that the key insert in the dashboard is not for the metal key but only for the fob, and I learned that I could put my regular key fob in there with the battery removed and it will start the car. That was not clear from the owner's manual but good to know. So what I am seemingly missing (as you quickly pointed out) is the plastic key that must have a programmed chip in it (but no battery) and when it is put in the glove box fob you can use it via the dashboard access to start the car. I will email the dealer where I bought the Q5 (500 miles south) to see if they have the plastic key (wishful thinking). If not I will have to look into buying one and I guess based on your comments I will have to physically go to a dealer so they have all keys for the programming effort. One more question, if I find/get the plastic key, and find a way to hide it outside on the car with proper protection, will it open the door or do I need a metal mechanical key hidden to do that (and then I could hide the plastic key inside). I agree with negative comment about this entire system, it seems overly complex and expensive to me with little advantage. I think I would prefer the older style key or maybe a keypad and code on the door as some vehicles have. Thanks again, Ed
You got it!

One thing should be mentioned, when getting keys coded into the ECU by the dealer, take all the keys with you. They normally erase all the keys coded in the ECU and then recode only for what keys you gave them at the time.

Also NEVER place the plastic key in the plastic FOB and leave the plastic key/FOB in the glove box. You can't imagine how many owners do this, I asked two relatives that have Audi vehicles where their plastic keys are, you guessed it, in the glove box. It's so easy now for the bad guys to unlock an Audi with the Advance Key System using very cheap black boxes, first thing they look for when they unlock the vehicle is the glove box key and the vehicle is gone......
Old 02-19-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thks for the advice Bob. Is the plastic key capable of opening the door? Is it strong enough?

Quick Reply: Key Questions