Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

keyless entry and car jackings

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Subsequent responses seemed to wander from the OP's question so I re-paraphrased what I wrote earlier. I'll try to keep my future posts as short as your's usually are.
We appreciate all information given in an objective way, especially the experiments by Awry. All of the responses are helpful in some way and there's no particular need to shorten the responses to suit someone's preferences. Cheers to all.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subsequent responses seemed to wander from the OP's question so I re-paraphrased what I wrote earlier. I'll try to keep my future posts as short as your's usually are.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Comfy
there's no particular need to shorten the responses to suit someone's preferences.
He was joking - I write lengthy posts.

I agree with snagitseven that the initial replies didn't appear to address the OP's question. Even snagitseven doesn't appear that way at first when it starts by talking about driving 9mph when doors lock... I think his follow-up does help the OP more directly and was effectively giving him kudos for his 2nd pass
Old 04-10-2014, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
I agree with snagitseven that the initial replies didn't appear to address the OP's question. Even snagitseven doesn't appear that way at first when it starts by talking about driving 9mph when doors lock... I think his follow-up does help the OP more directly and was effectively giving him kudos for his 2nd pass
Mark, as the OP was concerned about car jacking, I think the 9 mph mention was relevant. As I understand it, one of the reasons car manf. implemented the autolock feature was to ensure the doors would be locked at the next stop, i.e. a traffic light, a favorite spot for carjackers to ply their trade.
So there.

(To the poster who took exception to my earlier response to Mark, as per my "happy face", please be advised that I'm still joking).

Last edited by snagitseven; 04-10-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unlike in other car forums, you guys seem too jovial and happy with each other..... Just like driving an Audi......????
Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Mark, as the OP was concerned about car jacking, I think the 9 mph mention was relevant. As I understand it, one of the reasons car manf. implemented the autolock feature was to ensure the doors would be locked at the next stop, i.e. a traffic light, a favorite spot for carjackers to ply their trade.
So there.

(To the poster who took exception to my earlier response to Mark, as per my "happy face", please be advised that I'm still joking).
Ha, touché!

"Unfortunately" I don't have enough experience with car jacking and missed the connection. Indeed, I reevaluated your homework and increase your grade You were actually answering the intent of the question, not limited to the specific cited. I only saw the "If I am running to the car and jump-in the drivers door", and failed to make the 9mph connection.

I'm surprised nobody has commented about the security aspect of having all doors unlock from one click vs just the driver's. Search youtube and you'll see brazen thieves opening pass side rear doors when people are filling up their (domestic, driver's side) fuel tank while stopped at a gas station. It's almost captured in the tests, but those only note if a friendly is trying to get in one of the other doors before you open it. Also should be considered if the one trying to get in is a foe...
Old 04-10-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Unlike in other car forums, you guys seem too jovial and happy with each other..... Just like driving an Audi......????
Yeah, even in our bickering over SQ5/3.0T vs TDI, we're still all one happy loving family
Old 04-10-2014, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

forums are meant to have a friendly atmosphere. but sometimes people on forum may go off on each other. at the end we all get along lol
Old 04-10-2014, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I wish it was always the case. As a moderator, I've been on various AW Forums where it can sometimes get out of hand. Usually though, most folks are here to help, share or learn while being respectful and tolerant of others that may have differing opinions. Just remember, if you're making a joke to include a "happy face" like this > . When driving my Audi I look like this > . When I drive it too fast with my wife in the car, I usually get this > followed by this > .
Old 04-11-2014, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wish it was always the case. As a moderator, I've been on various AW Forums where it can sometimes get out of hand. Usually though, most folks are here to help, share or learn while being respectful and tolerant of others that may have differing opinions. Just remember, if you're making a joke to include a "happy face" like this > . When driving my Audi I look like this > . When I drive it too fast with my wife in the car, I usually get this > followed by this > .
When someone decides to add SQ5 parts to a 3.0T, always make sure to comment followed up by a