Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-22-2016, 01:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Locating the under-hood positive battery terminal....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locating the under-hood positive battery terminal....

...If you don't know where it is, better find out before you need it. Based on my experience in jumping the wifey's CTS today, the under hood positive connection is in the most awkward location Audi could possibly have found to hook up jumper cables!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Locating the under-hood positive battery terminal

Originally Posted by Loophole
...If you don't know where it is, better find out before you need it. Based on my experience in jumping the wifey's CTS today, the under hood positive connection is in the most awkward location Audi could possibly have found to hook up jumper cables!
Hi Loophole. Glad all went well after you found out where to hook up the jumper cables . Personally, I would be leery jumping any of today’s electronic/computerized vehicles using jumper cables. I’ve heard that if the “dead” car has any electrical short(s) it could wreak havoc with your own electrical system and/or onboard computers. Also, for any first-timers out there giving a boost, crossing the +/- cables could also create some unwanted results.

I believe the safer way is to use these portable power packs. Maybe some other AW members can chime in as to whether I’m all wet or not.

Having said all this, when you’re stuck and depending on your situation, a guy has gotta do what a guy has gotta do .

Oh yes, are you going to share where you found the positive connection with fellow members?

Take care.

Last edited by Old Dog; 03-12-2010 at 04:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How about a pic?
thanx
Old 03-12-2010, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Locating the under-hood positive battery terminal

Originally Posted by NYCa4
How about a pic?
thanx
Even better
Old 03-12-2010, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a picture in the manual.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Aha...I will have my manual (and Q5) in about 3 hours!!!
Pics to follow this weekend.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Loophole
Resurrecting an old thread... I wanted to use the Q5 today to jump start the battery of my other car. First, it took a while to locate the engine compartment terminals. I agree with Loophole that Audi couldn't possibly have found any more difficult to see/reach place to put these battery terminals. I'm six feet tall and it was a stretch to locate the terminals. The bigger problem though is that both the + and - terminals are so close to each other that the jumper cable alligator clips practically touch each other. What a nice way to short the circuits. Are there any tips people have used to jump start their cars? Also, where is the main battery located? I know it's in the luggage area but I couldn't find it. I'm assuming we can use the actual battery terminals to jump start the car if we can locate the battery
Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The battery is underneath the spare tire. You need to remove the spare to get to it.

Originally Posted by Rupesh
Resurrecting an old thread... I wanted to use the Q5 today to jump start the battery of my other car. First, it took a while to locate the engine compartment terminals. I agree with Loophole that Audi couldn't possibly have found any more difficult to see/reach place to put these battery terminals. I'm six feet tall and it was a stretch to locate the terminals. The bigger problem though is that both the + and - terminals are so close to each other that the jumper cable alligator clips practically touch each other. What a nice way to short the circuits. Are there any tips people have used to jump start their cars? Also, where is the main battery located? I know it's in the luggage area but I couldn't find it. I'm assuming we can use the actual battery terminals to jump start the car if we can locate the battery
Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rent
The battery is underneath the spare tire. You need to remove the spare to get to it.
This is correct. Once the spare is removed just pull back the carpet and there it is.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rent
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Locating the under-hood positive battery terminal....