Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Minor fender-bender

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor fender-bender

So, I'm stopped at an entrance on the parkway, waiting for a space so I can make a safe entrance when BOOM, some dopey kid hits me in the bumper; fairly minor damage - broken lens cover, a few gouges and a dent or 2. But as we all know, "minor" damages quickly turn into major expenses, especially on Audis. I'm going through their insurance to pay for the expenses and I am sure they are thinking Non Original Manufacturer's Bumper. If that happens, should I accept that or insist on one from Audi? Can I also hold them responsible for the loss in value that this accident will bring and file a claim for that?
Some years ago on my 2009 Q5, my landscaper - er, former landscaper did a huge number on that car with his leafblower. I made the mistake of letting him pay my deductible in cash and I went through my insurance company. Big mistake; when I went to sell it back to Audi, they gave me less $$$ since they noted that the car had been repainted on the right side and I also ended up having a claim on record my insurance company.

B
Old 09-22-2015, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Fight it if they try that. I had a guy do a rolling hit into the back bumper of my S4 a while back. There was no structural damage at all but the bolts to his front license plate punctured the bumper skin. His insurance company wanted to put a patch on it and respray the bumper. Both the dealer and the independent body shop advised against it claiming if I did that, it would crack if anyone even tapped it while parking and then I'd be left to fix it properly. When they realized I wan't going to budge, they finally agreed to a replacement with an OEM bumper skin.
Diminished value is the term you need to use when speaking to the claims adjuster regarding loss of value.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wait, this gets better. Their insurance company (THE CURE) just returned my call about getting reimbursed for the loaner. They said that they are investigating the status of this claim as there may be fraud involved with either the driver or her "father." If that's the case, I will put it through my insurance company and take her/him to small claims court. This really sucks.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Depending on how it's resolved, just in case, I have a bumper for sale here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/par...ckets-2889129/

Best of luck.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AlllRoad
Depending on how it's resolved, just in case, I have a bumper for sale here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/par...ckets-2889129/

Best of luck.
Thanks for the offer. I faxed (another) copy of the accident report to their insurance company yesterday morning - still have not heard back from them - another, though expected indication of poor customer service from The Cure. I will call today, but I'm not hopeful.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Festoolbob

I will put it through my insurance company and take her/him to small claims court.

Is that necessary? Your insurance company would typically have your car repaired and then go after the other insurance company. Happens all the time. You should not be worrying about this, Bob.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Is that necessary? Your insurance company would typically have your car repaired and then go after the other insurance company. Happens all the time. You should not be worrying about this, Bob.
Actually, my car is having some other parking lot damage - scraped doors - probably by some shopping cart done at the same time. This claim is through State Farm. I am concerned - even though this last one is a hit in the rear, with the Police report stating "driver inattention" that my Insurance Company will view it as another claim - with a possibility of an increase in rates and for sure I will be responsible for another 500.00 deductible.
The issue with their company is that they are investigating whether the policy was "bought" with fraudulent information or under fraudeulent circumstances. They can't be specific with me as their are privacy laws to deal with. If they see fraud somewhere they will deny the claim and leave me holding the bag. Seems to me, if this is true that company has an obligation to notify the police that these people are, in effect, driving without insurance. Of course, in this world where most companies don't care as long as they absolve themselves of the monetary obligation, they have little incentive to take that step and be a responsible player.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Doesn't NJ have mandatory "uninsured motorist" coverage??
Old 09-24-2015, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Festoolbob
Actually, my car is having some other parking lot damage - scraped doors - probably by some shopping cart done at the same time. This claim is through State Farm. I am concerned - even though this last one is a hit in the rear, with the Police report stating "driver inattention" that my Insurance Company will view it as another claim - with a possibility of an increase in rates and for sure I will be responsible for another 500.00 deductible.
The issue with their company is that they are investigating whether the policy was "bought" with fraudulent information or under fraudeulent circumstances. They can't be specific with me as their are privacy laws to deal with. If they see fraud somewhere they will deny the claim and leave me holding the bag. Seems to me, if this is true that company has an obligation to notify the police that these people are, in effect, driving without insurance. Of course, in this world where most companies don't care as long as they absolve themselves of the monetary obligation, they have little incentive to take that step and be a responsible player.
I believe Stare Farm would in fact believe you to not be at fault and fix your car, then go after the other insurance company or individual on their own of fraud was found to be true. You would however be responsible for the $500 deductible until State Farm was able to get money back fromThe Cure or the individual themselves.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm going through this now as well. Got side-swiped by an 18 wheeler on the NYS Thruway. New York is a "no fault" state (as I believe NJ is also) so Allstate is fixing the car regardless of who is "at fault". The incident occurred Tuesday and a check for the repairs was issued today, Thursday (minus my deductible) so I'm actually pretty impressed.

Allstate will then review the incident and attempt to determine fault to see if they can get monies back from the other insurance company, including my deductible. Unfortunately, in this case, there were no other witnesses than us drivers and no traffic violations given out so it's ambiguous and even though I was not at fault I may end up eating the deductible. And I'm sure rates will go up as well.

So "no fault" doesn't imply one or the other driver wasn't the cause, but rather just means the car will be fixed and other claims (property or body or whatever) are paid out quickly without having to first determine fault.

Last edited by jeffsti; 09-24-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Fixed typos

Quick Reply: Minor fender-bender